An American in Florence

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tmartelli

An American in Florence

Post by tmartelli »

Hello everybody,

I'm a California college student with a focus on birds, but recently I've become more and more interested in other reptiles, especially snakes. I'm about to be spending time in the Liguria/Tuscany area of Italy until mid-December, and am looking for naturalist/herper groups to get out with. (In my experience with birds, there is often a local organization doing van trips. I understand that with herps it seems a little more based on just knowing people, so if anyone will be in the general area, I can recompense your driving with what analysis I can offer about the birds, insects, and plants we are seeing.)

My targets are #1 Aesculapian Snake and #2 Hermann's Tortoise, anything after that will be cherries on top for my novice experience (though asps and Fire Salamander would be great, and Italian Slowworm too). Other targets are Short-toed Eagle (ironic for a snake enthusiast, I know) and Two-tailed Pasha butterfly. It is likely I'll have a foray into southwestern Germany for the Black Forest as well, if anyone has experience to share about the place.
I don't own a snake stick yet, but iNat indicates that I should not be worried about handling most snakes in Tuscany except for vipers (and I am cognizant of their dark morphs - I will not be picking up any black snakes without getting a good look to be sure.) Let me know if that's not true.
I'm very excited to be spending time abroad in a quite diverse and beautiful area! Any suggestions/advice about where to go in fall are great, and if you know any groups/people I should join, I'd be very happy to take your advice, whether through PM or this thread.

I'll follow up on here given any success once I'm settled!
Respectfully,
Teodelina Martelli
Jeff

Re: An American in Florence

Post by Jeff »