Anyone still using Avisys for their birds?

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

Anyone still using Avisys for their birds?

Post by chrish »

There is a post about the end of Avisys support updates on Ebird as well as a primer on getting your data out of Avisys and into ebird.

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/avisystoebird/

http://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/a ... s-to-ebird

Highly recommended if you are still Avisys dependent. I switched over to Ebird about 5 years ago or so and have never looked back. The phone apps to get your data directly Ebird from the field are the icing on the cake!
Curtis Hart

Re: Anyone still using Avisys for their birds?

Post by Curtis Hart »

Yes, and not looking forward to it. I'll still probably use it for mammals and herps.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

It took me about 10 hours, but it's done. Not as bad as I thought, but matching all the locations was time consuming. I'm sure I will still have a few data reviewer emails to sort out.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Yeah, I'm sure you are due for some emails. I am always glad to get them. I have had to remove a couple of birds from my lifelist based on their reviews, but I've also had them get me a new bird a couple of times.

Now that it is there, you can use the ebird apps to get your birds recorded faster. Hopefully the Android version will be up and running soon.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I find ebird to be about a quarter as user friendly as Avisys. I've been trying to import my records in to Avibase, but it just keeps telling me my session has expired and that I have to log in again, instantly. Any thoughts?
chrish

Post by chrish »

I don't know why avibase would be doing that. Weird. I didn't have any problem like that? Are you sure your ebird login info is correct in it?

Avibase is a bit strange to use, but when you get it figured out it can be pretty useful. I just used it to create a checklist for the Yucatan Peninsula showing me the lifers I can see there in the last week in June, 2016.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I did eventually figure it out. I didn't realize you had to create the checklist before importing records, I figured it would just import all the records and use them the same way avisys did. I haven't had time to mess around with it yet, but it seems to have good potential.

Curtis
chrish

Post by chrish »

If you are still using Avisys, I see someone has done the Clements 2016 update for it.

http://avisys.faintlake.com/

Use at your own discretion. The guy who started Avisys died last year and the software was pretty much left in limbo. This update was done by a user.