crazy times

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gbin

Re: crazy times

Post by gbin »

Tim Borski wrote:Thanks Gerry, that's saying a lot when you take into consideration all the truly excellent and varied stories we've compiled on this post alone!!
Hey, I most definitely agree! This is an amazing thread, chock full of great stories! Kudos to all of you who have contributed - and please keep on doing so! :thumb:

Gerry
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

i just realized that i never mentioned the "minnow scam"!!!!

again, this was chads idea. he was smart.

i don't condone shoplifting in any way, but this is what we did.

chads idea was to put a styrofoam "layer" in a five-gallon pail. we did. we went to the bait shop(which was in a gas station). all you had to do was go in and say you were going for bait. self serve. they rang you up at the end.

it was spring, and we were ready for some pike. big ones in the fox river, so we needed the expensive bait. we were about fourteen at the time, and we didn't have much money. we went into the gas station, and went for the bait station in the back room.

clean-cut a piece of foam, and put a small hole in it, and you are done. we put about three dozen pike shiners in the bucket, and then put the "lid" on. we then "bought" a half dozen shiners and a dozen crappie minnows(on top of "the lid"). my friend wade even had the idea of stuffing his glove fingers with suckers.

all i can remember was wade, standing at the register with his fingers wiggling. :lol: :lol: :lol: we spent about $2.00 for $12.00 worth.

we did catch pike that day.

aaaaaahhhhh! to be a kid again. i bet kids these days don't have the fun we had.

-ben
dery

Post by dery »

I did that at DollarTree and Wallyworld for candy. Kids.............. :roll: I agree. Kids these days never go outside anymore. :?
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

ok, time to bring this back to life. i want kyle to see it so he can add some stories.

here's an old one i forgot about.

i was in sixth grade at the time. eric vanderloop and i went to the dam to fish for the day. we were exploring(for the first time) a dam that ended up being our daily home for many years to come. we found a retention pond on top of the dam. being silly kids, we casted bobbers over the barbed wire fence. HOLY BUCKETS there were monster bluegills in this pond. we soon became sick of the "over the fence" technique and opted for the "under the fence" approach. fishing was much easier inside the fence. not to long after we were greeted by some police officers walking down the catwalk of the dam, damn! the hardest part was telling our parents that their innocent sixth grade sons got $80 tickets for trespassing. they made us go to court and speak in front of the judge. i was scared. we had to wait for like an hour for everyone else to get done so they could clear the courtroom for the juveniles. got the fine reduced to $50. the only time i ever set foot on that dam again was when we'd go "navy-sealing" at night. all that entails is climbing up the main gate and sliding down the overflow. this was all done at around 1AM, hence the name "navy sealing"

-ben
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Was checking out this thread when one of my favorite stories popped into my head. Everyone talks about the daylight issues in Alaska and this story shows the dangers of what can happen.

Myself, wife and 2 daughters (4 n 5 years old) went out fishing on the ocean in our 16' boat for halibut. Left the dock around 10 am for a few hours of fun. A little while later I noticed I was getting a mite hungry. No one else seemed to be complaining though. I mentioned it to my wife and we decided it must be time to go in. So, checked my watch and it was MIDNIGHT!!! Both girls were still just fishing away and having fun.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Ben, thanks for breathing life into this again...Something jogged my memory a few times over the past month or so, so I scribbled some bullet points of a couple stories. I'll put up another real soon.

(Geez Ben, 80 bucks sounds kind of steep. I did some stuff like that too when I was growing up but don't recall ever getting an actual fine.)

Sjfriend, that's a good story. Time flies when you're having fun...I was once fired for being 22 days late for work because the fishing that September was as good as one can imagine. (I really, really needed that job at the time, too.) :oops:

Tim
Herpetologist115

Post by Herpetologist115 »

dery wrote: Kids these days never go outside anymore. :?
I disagree. I fish and herp at least 4 days a week. And some of us kids have fun doing stuff outside quite a lot. People nowadays are so scared of anything it seems.. "Don't pick up a rock or it might hurt someone"... makes it hard to do much of anything.
But some kids yeah they are so overweight and pasty you would think they never saw the sun.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

Tim Borski wrote:Ben, thanks for breathing life into this again...Something jogged my memory a few times over the past month or so, so I scribbled some bullet points of a couple stories. I'll put up another real soon.

(Geez Ben, 80 bucks sounds kind of steep. I did some stuff like that too when I was growing up but don't recall ever getting an actual fine.)

Sjfriend, that's a good story. Time flies when you're having fun...I was once fired for being 22 days late for work because the fishing that September was as good as one can imagine. (I really, really needed that job at the time, too.) :oops:

Tim
looking forward to hearing one of yours. $80 is cheap by todays standards. don't ever forget that we are getting old. :roll:

it is a good thread. i'm hoping th newbs chime in. and to those folks, we are not looking for a story of how great of a day you had. us old-timers don't care. put the good stuff up. read all the pages before you post. you'll get the point quickly.

-ben
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Wow, Ben,
My son is a cop and avid fisherman. I can't immagine him give a kid a ticket for that!!!!
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

An old anecdote from my college days in Florida popped into my head while pier fishing with my wife yesterday evening. It’s certainly not on par with some of the brilliance that has been shared here to date, but since it popped into my mind I figured I’d share.

Chris
---

After freshman year of college, I began living with a fishing/herp keeping buddy who would remain my roommate until I moved away after graduation. We fished together constantly for those remaining three years, jumping more than our fair share of fences and even hot wiring a few of the university's boats, along the way. By senior year, we pretty much had our local fishing down to a science (we were marine biologists, after all). We knew where to fish when, what to fish with in each situation, and where the closest source of cold beer was for those slow days when our science failed us.

During the summer following graduation, however, our regular trips became more and more infrequent as grad school prep (him staying, me leaving for AZ) and time with our future wives began to take a toll on our free time. We each still made it out a couple times a week, just rarely together. We’d simply compare fishing reports at the lab or in passing on rare occasions when we were both at the apartment.

The stars did align one last time in late June though as both girlfriends planned trips out of town on the same day. With work still in the way, we decided our best bet was to wake early and head for a local pier on the Indian River Lagoon. The pier extended through the center of a large sea grass flat and was always good for a few speckled trout with a 10+ pounder being pulled in by another angler a few weeks prior.

So at 4:30 the following morning, we loaded up the car and made the quick run down to the pier. We had plenty of finger mullet by 5 AM and began free lining them out over the grass. Around this time we both realized we’d forgotten our cell phones, but weren’t all that concerned as we’d stop by the apartment on our way to work at 8 AM. After a slow start, our drags started singing consistently around 6AM. Most were undersized, but the bite was consistent and a few larger specks found their way to our cooler.

As the sun rose, we shifted our rods toward the deeper edges of the flat and eventually found ourselves fishing the deeper channel off the end of the pier. By this point, we had forgotten about work (and our phones) and were just happy that fish were still biting. The morning passed quickly with specks giving way to a mixed bag as the sun rose.

Around noon with the bite finally slowing and the sun beating down, we resorted to BSing in the shade with some of the pier regulars when my drag began to sing again. I let the fish run for a bit not wanting to rip the big bait from it’s mouth, but finally set the hook with nearly half my spool emptied. The large fish jumped about 60 yards out and one of us (I no longer remember who) shouted “Snook.”

15 minutes later the fish finally began to tire and slowly began moving toward the pier. At this point, we realized that no one had a pier net and there was no chance the large fish could be hoisted on my 10 lbs monofilament. My roommate (a 6’3”, tattooed, scholar athlete with a bright red Mohawk), decided the only solution was for him to strip down to his swimming trunks, climb over the railing, and hang from the support beams below the pier with one arm while attempting to grab the shock leader with the other. So with him dangling 6’ below me, I began cranking hard (fearful he’d lose his grip before the fish made it to him).

As my line neared the pier a fin broke the surface. Suddenly aware that I was not battling a large snook, I shouted “Oh $&!#, shark! Watch your fingers.” He shouted something inaudible in return and my line suddenly went slack.

Thinking my line had snapped, I leaned forward toward the rail, cursing aloud. Before reaching the rail, however, I suddenly realized something was flying toward me and ducked as a 38” bull shark came flying over the rail and past my head. Stunned, I glanced back towards the shark and then towards the rail. My roommate’s head finally popped back into view. As he cleared the rail, he smugly commented on how he told me he had it under control and went to dig out his camera.

We headed home shortly after, content with our morning. That is until we got back to the apartment and each had 20+ missed calls from our girlfriends and boss.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

As he cleared the rail, he smugly commented on how he told me he had it under control and went to dig out his camera.
Perfect :thumb:
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

Tim Borski wrote:Sjfriend, that's a good story. Time flies when you're having fun...I was once fired for being 22 days late for work because the fishing that September was as good as one can imagine. (I really, really needed that job at the time, too.)
On a similar note, a friend of my father's who has an island on the North side of Georgian Bay told me a story of how he was trapped on his island for about three weeks in the spring. He had ridden his snowmobile out, but couldn't ride it back because a warm front had made the ice impassable. He had a radio, and got ahold of his wife, but declined to be airlifted out because they didn't have the money at the time. So, he basically spent the next three weeks eating canned beans in a cold, dark, cabin trying to conserve wood for the stove and fuel for the generator. He eventually made it out of the ice on a kayak.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

BillMcGighan wrote:
As he cleared the rail, he smugly commented on how he told me he had it under control and went to dig out his camera.
Perfect :thumb:

Agreed. Great story, Chris! :thumb:

Tim
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

The Jake-Man wrote:
Tim Borski wrote:Sjfriend, that's a good story. Time flies when you're having fun...I was once fired for being 22 days late for work because the fishing that September was as good as one can imagine. (I really, really needed that job at the time, too.)
On a similar note, a friend of my father's who has an island on the North side of Georgian Bay told me a story of how he was trapped on his island for about three weeks in the spring. He had ridden his snowmobile out, but couldn't ride it back because a warm front had made the ice impassable. He had a radio, and got ahold of his wife, but declined to be airlifted out because they didn't have the money at the time. So, he basically spent the next three weeks eating canned beans in a cold, dark, cabin trying to conserve wood for the stove and fuel for the generator. He eventually made it out of the ice on a kayak.

That's a good story, Jake!! Thanks for jumping on the thread.

Tim
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Here’s one of several dozen I have revolving around my good friend, Hanson.

Hanson was at one time, a very prolific and famous outdoor photographer and he did covers for all the old rags: Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, etc…

Unfortunately, he also covered field trials back in the day when no one wore ear protection so his hearing was shot…even worse than mine.

One morning many years ago, I was poling him along the tarpon edge on the Oceanside of Lower Matecumbe in the middle keys. He was on the bow prattling on about stuff that was irrelevant to what we were actually doing. Like many, he always focused on the wrong stuff and asked the wrong questions…Hey, that fish was outside…that’s the “yellow line…” or Hey, that fish was northbound, we need to turn around…. I’d learned to ignore him over the years so was ok with it.

At some point, from the platform, I see a long string of tarpon drifting toward us They are floating high and happy down a vague edge. I tell him. There are several dozen in the group and over the light bottom, they looked like a raft of floating timber; you could not help but see them. I tell Hans: “Here they come, ‘gott’em?” He doesn’t reply but is looking in the right direction so I assume he’s made them. I pole the skiff forward into a good intercept for his style of casting and wait. They get closer…and he’s still looking their direction. It’s an easy “layup” and I’m looking at the skiff, making sure” everything is set to follow the fish that eats. All is good, the fish are closing and I say, nice and quietly: “When you’re ready, take’em.” No response. They close the distance more and I urge him along: “take’em, now.” Still no response…As they are 30 feet out, I say: Hanson, take’em NOW!” He looks back at me over his shoulder and says: “No thanks, ‘just had a pretzel.” :lol:

So fast forward a few years. I’m at my younger sister’s house and me, her husband and two young boys are sitting down at dinner and I’m telling the story of “the pretzel.” Everyone likes it but the boys especially dig it. For years after that, I’d get a call from my sister and she’d be ripping pissed!! She’d say, I just told Zack to clean his room and ‘you know what he told me?...”No thanks, just had a pretzel.” Or she’d call and say: “Kevin just threw his bike off the roof into a tree!! I told him, you’re going to be in big trouble when Dad gets home!!!” His response: “No thanks, just had a pretzel.” For some reason, it was all my fault.

My boys use it on Momma to this day.

Tim
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

“No thanks, ‘just had a pretzel.”
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Too good. We could use that phrase more around here!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

I’ve got one that I have hesitated putting out because it was “long, long ago, in a galaxy far away”, and it’s less about fishing and more about my perverse scientific curiosity.

It was 1968. I was 21 years old and half way through my 13 month tour in Vietnam assigned to 4th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division.

Herping was incidental, but with a constant vigilance. There were no field guides available, so 3 out of every 4 snakes had to be treated as venomous until dentition could show otherwise; no Field guide for fish either.

My time was spent mostly in the beautiful mountains of South Vietnam in a corner where Laos, Vietnam, and the DMZ came together (NW I Corps).

The mountain streams were cool and refreshing in the heat and humidity.

I stayed at one fire base and regimental forward in a valley for a few weeks and regularly went to a medium sized stream (about 3 meters wide), with somewhat clear water, and several amazingly deep holes.

One hole fascinated me because: 1, it was only 3m X 3m, but over my head in depth, and 2, from above, I could see flashes of fish at the bottom. Most were like minnows, but now and then, a huge flash could be seen.

I wrote home to my dad, a lifelong fisherman, and asked that he send me line and hooks. I figured I’d “cane pole” it, building a rod from bamboo, and finding appropriate bait.

Even without a fish field guide, but I just had to know what was down there.

I received the line and hooks, built a cane pole, and tried various baits:
Insects like grasshoppers were first – nothing.
Insects like beetles – nothing.
Insects like caterpillars – nothing.
I just had to know what was down there.

Insects like dragonflies – nothing.
Worms, including an 18" worm, were next – nothing.

Bread – nothing.
Bologna – nothing.

Cheese - – nothing.
Pieces of fish – nothing.
C-ration ham and eggs – nothing.
On and on and the flashing continued to haunt me like a visual tell-tale heart.

Maybe the hot sun; maybe the tension from the other conditions; I don’t know but, finally, I couldn’t stand it another day.

I did what any fisherman/,budding zoologist consumed with an overwhelming curiosity would do, given the resources:
I dropped an M26A1, a hand grenade, into the pool.
(Insert loud noise here)

Result:
Hundreds of herring like minnows flew up and floated to the top.
My prize – a two foot long fish that looked like an American Bowfin. (Years later, I recognized it as a half grown Asian Snakhead.)
My guess is that this Snakehead had so much to eat in that small area; my baits were not even the least appealing! This actually returned sanity to me in an insane time.

The best find as a result of this, even though I didn’t realize it till two years later, was this large (5-6 inches), clear, crayfish with no large pincers. I preserved it in alcohol, and donated to the Smithsonian.
Here, a senior zoologist, a Fenner Chace, identified it as a freshwater shrimp (Macrobrachium hainanense).
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Geez Bill, that's an awesome story!! Why haven't you told us this before?

That's gonna be awfully tough to beat on the sheer interest/intruige factor alone!!

:thumb: :thumb:

Tim
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Tim
Why haven't you told us this before?
I had reservations of telling it even now. Some memories need to remain buried.

Besides, it’s not exactly “catch and release”! :lol: :lol:
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Tim's, "No thanks already had a pretzel," story reminded me of a few things I've heard while working w/ clients, and have made it into regular use amongst my guide friends...

At one lodge I work at we have a great client, named John, from NY that has been coming w/ us for 15 years, he's 96 this year. He's still very healthy and spry, and has a wicked hilarious mean sense of humor. Which we all love, it's kind of an honor to get a stinger from him.
Every day he fishes w/ us, which is always four days, he gives me one Macanudo cigar, and he's been doing this for 15 years.
One morning as all seven guides and myself are gearing up, John comes out and gives me two cigars. The other guides start teasing him, "what the hell John? Dell gets two cigars today, how does he deserve that?"
John says in his NY accent: Look Dell's a friend of mine, he enjoys cigars I'm giving him two cigars today, mind your own phucking business." They all kind of laugh at this retort.
I take the cigars and tell John thanks, and pat him on the back for the two cigars he gave me, and in front of everyone he says.
"Dell take your phucking hands off me!" The whole place erupts w/ laughter. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of years ago we had a new client come out of the lodge in the morning looking for his guide. He is carrying his rod by the middle, his hat is on a little sideways, his camera is around his neck, and his backpack is trying to slide off his shoulder. He walks up to all seven of us, who are BS-ing and drinking coffee, and in this cartoon high pitch voice he says his name is Scott, and was wondering who his guide is?
I say you're fishing w/ me Scott, and the first thing he says in front of every guide there, ( in his cartoon voice) is:
"Okay I don't like to touch the fish." We all snicker, and he says again. "Seriously, I don't like to touch the fish. I went fly-fishing once to practice, and accidentally caught a fish, I had to walk it down to another angler to take it off my line. I seriously don't like to touch the fish."

We all use that line now. If I'm fishing w/ one of the guides from that day, and he loses a fish, he'll say, "Good, I really don't like to touch the fish."
Or the other day I was talking about having lunch at a sushi bar w/ one of the guides from that day, and he said to me. "Eww sushi, I don't like to touch the fish." :lol:

-Dell
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Thanks for breathing new life into this thread, Ben.

One winter many years back, my girlfriend and I were going to do some camping on the Chiki huts supplied by Everglades National Park along the wilderness water way. You need a permit to stay on them and are only supposed to stay one night at each but I’d got it in my head that I was going to commandeer the one in Hell’s bay for a few nights. (Think big Snook and miles of quiet, remote shorelines.) Anyway, Mike, a friend of mine caught wind and invited himself. We didn’t want him in our tent and he didn’t have his own so he stopped at a local K-mart and purchased one on the way to meeting us in the park. He really had no idea regarding the whole “minimal camping/canoe thing.” All he was interested in was catching a big Snook…just one would do, because he’d never done it before.

My girl and I drove to Flamingo at the end of the road, got the required permit and met him at the put-in place, 10 miles or so north. He’s there when I pull up and I’m looking at this box containing his new tent. It’s huge! I mention it’s prob a bit overkill and he says he was excited, in a hurry, the price was right, blah blah blah.

So we load up our two canoes and begin winding down that snaking little creek that takes forever but eventually dumps you into a body of open water called the “Lard can.” A couple of bays later and in early afternoon, we hit Hell’s bay.
The Chiki’s are structures built a few feet off the water on stilts and are comprised of 2 separate platforms. A group typically takes up both spaces and a couple or three people typically use one side for tents and the other for a lounging/cooking area.
I set up my tent quickly while my friend unrolls the “Base camp 2000” he’s just purchased and starts reading instructions on setting it up. The thing is massive and has only slightly less windows and doors than your typical elementary school. It takes up his entire platform we are left to “lounge” on what’s left of my girlfriend and mine’s side.
In any event, we spend the rest of the aft trying to get my friend a Snook but fail. After dinner that night, (while watching the sunset and drinking heavily,) I catch a Ladyfish from our platform, rig a medium spinning rod with a 3/0 hook, cut the fish in half, hook it on and pitch off to one side where the water is a little deeper than what surrounds us. I tell my friend I’m going to set the drag loose so IF a fish takes it, it’ll be able to move off slowly without feeling resistance and we’ll be able to hear the clicker of the drag as a warning. The evening winds down, the rod is forgotten and we turn in for the night. At some point, not too long after we retired I hear Zzz…Zzzzzz…ZZZZ…It’s the rod and is apparent something has picked up the Ladyfish and is slowly swimming off with it. I quickly unzip the fly, step outside and see the rod has a bend in it as the drags slips out. Now at this point, I should’ve simply picked it up, set the hook and handed it off…but, if I did, I wouldn’t have a good story here. :mrgreen:

I start calling to my friend: “Mike, Mike, there’s a fish on…Mike, c’mon man, hurry!” It’s obvious that he was dead to the world, probably still drunk and possibly already beginning to feel the effects of a good old fashioned Hell’s bay hangover.

Ok I’m going to need a little help from you all here…visualize what I’m about to tell you:

Mike is making lots of shuffling noises in his tent and is becoming a little frantic as the reel’s drag begins to get louder and more constant. I keep saying “Mike, C’mon man, HURRY!” He can’t find a single one of his exits and his hands are pushing and sliding top to bottom and side to side, all over the inside of the tent’s walls but it’s no use; The “Himalaya-nator” is just too massive and unfamiliar in his present state. It gets quiet for a sec and all I here is the methodical ZZZZZ of the reel as the fish moves steadily off. Then…then, (and I’ll never forget this) I see his pocket knife slice through the fabric at the very top of the tent and in one fell swoop, he eviscerates it right to the floor. Mike’s arms part the gash he’s created in his brand new tent and in one fluid motion steps right through the side, off the edge of the platform and into the water!! Big splash, some noisy wallowing/sputtering and more than a little cursing until he regains his balance and stands up. The water is only waist deep so I grab the rod and hand it to him. He gives it a heroic, exaggerated and extremely angry hook set but comes up empty. The fish is not there and he reels in, in disbelief. There is nothing but an empty hook.

My girl has been watching all this from the open fly of our tent, can see the best is over and says: “Mike, use the steps.” She then closed the flap and went back to bed.

Tim
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Dell, I love them little sayings that get picked up while on the water or in the field. As soon as I remember another, I'll put it up with the story behind it.

(Thanks for the great idea to simply repost "'pretzel" and let the other one slide into oblivion.) :beer:

Tim
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I just read this whole thread from beginning to end. You all are absolutely amazing...what a great ride!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Tim
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

what just happened??? a whole bunch of posts and i didn't even notice. too bad i'm tired and need to sleep(gotta get up early and clear snow). i'll read them soon. it's nice to see this thread getting some attention. it was dormant for a while.

-ben
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Loser. :x C'mon ben, get with it.

Tim
frogfish

Post by frogfish »

Oh god I have enough stories to keep this thread going for years. Will post some tomorrow
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

Tim Borski wrote:Loser. :x C'mon ben, get with it.

Tim

back off man, i'm in hibernation mode. staying warm and drinking is all one can do when it's zero degrees practically every day(that doesn't account for -35 windchill). aside from hoping my car stays running, all i can do is wish i had enough money to go chase indigos and tarpon.

the only consolation is that it will be interesting to see if there happens to be fewer cases of SFD at that fox snake site. we have had a few mild winters in a row and i'm wondering if this may be a good thing as far as the SFD is concerned.

i bet the market for auger extentions is booming this year. last i heard is that ice has reached the two foot mark in most places. that's a lot of ice. we may have to use tip-ups for the mother's day fishing tournament. :) :) :)

-ben
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

You guys ready for another story?

Tim
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

You bet I am. Frog fish kind of left us hangin ' , like a fish that stole our bait...
Vic, in drouth stricken Arizona.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Yeah boy,
what he said.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Ok, I'll try to put one together tomorrow.

Earth to frog...copy?

Tim
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

Tim Borski wrote:Ok, I'll try to put one together tomorrow.

Earth to frog...copy?

Tim

february 27th and you are trying to put one together? maybe tim has been partaking in too much "plenty" coming through the keys from south america?

what did you say? "earth to frog"? hello? tim? you there? paint me a muskie dammit?

-ben
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

C'mon Ben, I'm not the only one not putting up a story. Don't throw me under the bus, I'll put one up when I think of one, ok? Geez.

Tim
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

Tim Borski wrote:Loser. :x C'mon ben, get with it.

Tim
and you jump me for throwing YOU under the bus.

:P :P :P

-ben
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Sorry, my bad. 'Wanna bang the smallies next month? (You'll be expected to chase snake too...)

Tim
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

absolutely. i didn't think you'd be coming this year. about chasing snakes, i'm not much into them. you are asking a lot. lol. i owe you lunch too. i didn't forget. snakes are a bit behind this year from the winter. fishing may be as well. i'll be chasing timbers with the DNR this weekend and i hope we find more than the one or two that have been seen.

keep me posted as to when you will be in the area.

-ben
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Years ago in northern WI Musky Magnet and I would go to this butt hut in Eagle river in the far north of that dynamic state he still lives in. They held the world championship of snowmobile races there every year. We'd get there early in the morning while the strippers were still drunk and they'd have a 7AM special: hot bowl of chili and a lap dance for like six bucks. :lol:
The girls would come out in mittens, snowmobile suits, the old school Sorel boots and Green bay packer helmets. They all had like three wool sweaters underneath and getting an early morning LD was like rubbing against a damp, drunk, angry fur seal, but Ben loved it so he'd make me join him. The chili was only "ok" (if you had a couple beers with it.) Anyway, this one morning I was rubbing against the seal and (I'm not making this up) the song was Nasby Crosh and Stills "Teach your children well." I had to leave...I'd already spent 36 bucks and it wasn't even 7:30. We took off and drove to lake Alliquash which had a shallow rice filled end that was good during first ice but a deeper end that was better during the later part of the season. It was late in the season so we opted for the latter side, had to punch a bunch of holes through three feet of ice but finally found/got them pretty good. Pete from the northeast would've been proud.

Sorry, someone had to revive this thread

Tim
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

This isn't so much of a humorous story as one of those stories where it happens, you have nothing to record that it happened, and it sounds like I made it up whenever I tell it...

Back in 2008, I was working on a WMA and checking if any of the bass would bite in any of the ponds. It blew my mind that nothing would touch anything. Then, just as I was about finished reeling in a cast, something slammed it right near the tall grass and took off. The line snapped shortly thereafter.

I chalked it up as a loss. Hours trying, one hit, and it got away with the lure. I cursed the fish, then moved down the side of the pond and spotted a nice little stump sticking out of the water...all alone. First cast, I get a solid hit and set the hook. Easy does it. Got the fish in, and to my amazement, had my Rapala I had lost about 20 minutes earlier hooked in its lip.

That never happens. But it happened.