Recommendations for Info: the Southern Caribbean

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hcarlton

Recommendations for Info: the Southern Caribbean

Post by hcarlton »

A little over a month before there is an intended plan to end up on several islands of the southern Caribbean, including but not necessarily limited to: Barbados, Martinique, St. Lucia, the Virgin Islands, etc. I have no idea how long I'll actually have on each island, but anywhere I can I want a chance to try and document some of the native herps, snakes especially where possible (slim pickings thanks to development and mongooses I know, but fingers crossed). I found a Sphaerodactylus macrolepis last time I was down there, hoping to expand the observations.
What I am looking for are recommendations on where to look online concerning regulations around the activities that go with herping, and whether or not trying to take a snake hook with me would be advised (seen some instances prior where even a hook in luggage has caused problems before, hoping to avoid that risk if possible etc.). The latter primarily for the animal of interest on one particular island, but still useful for flipping dead leaves and debris elsewhere too, but if not advised I will leave it behind.