Tips for finding Salamanders in AR

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

KSherp

Tips for finding Salamanders in AR

Post by KSherp »

Hi everybody! Over the next few days (Thursday to Sunday) I’m going to be down in the Ouachita hills of Arkansas in Polk County and I was wondering if anyone had some good tips for finding salamanders. Me being from central KS where sallies are few and far in between, this is going to be very exciting!

So at the place where I’m staying there’s a lot of nice high elevation pine forest. There’s a little rocky stream running by where I found a couple of species last April (Many-ribbed and Ouachita Dusky). I plan to mostly be flipping rocks and logs around there. Any other tips/ideas/suggestions? Would LOVE to find a Ringed Salamander.

Thanks in advance!!
KSherp

Re: Tips for finding Salamanders in AR

Post by KSherp »

Anyone?? Or are you all out herping? :P
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

No herping down here - a cold front today plunged temperature to 67.
You got 58 views. Considering that 55 were by you, the other three people didn't have a response.
I have never sought salamanders in Arkansas, but when I strike north to the Ouachitas I shall make note of some of the species I would look for, like "Fourche Mountain" Salamander, "Rich Mountain" Salamander, and "Caddo Mountain" Salamander. My associates tell me that Ringed Salamanders are best found on rainy nights. Also, the Plethodons can likewise be found in numbers. Ringed Salamanders would probably be best flipped near ephemeral ponds.
Armchair advice from Jeff
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I have not looked for ringed salamanders in AR but I have in MO and I imagine their behavior is the same in both states. I found them by looking in and around ponds during the breeding season, especially on rainy nights. You may flip one outside of that flipping in likely areas or sometimes they may appear in an unlikely area under rocks while looking for snakes but the odds are unpredictable. Some of the other folks seem to have better luck finding them than me, as I struggled a little bit even knowing the location. Some nights were a bust. However, the three areas I looked for them also produced a lot of other interesting species including four toed salamanders, spotted salamanders, marbled salamanders, etc, so I think where they occur is often in general a good place to herp.
Porter

Post by Porter »

To find a salamander… You must think like a salamander🤨👉