It is currently December 9th, 2018, 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is Herping? Why I do it. - A short Documentary film
PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 8:13 am 

My friend Chris who's quite good at making videos made this small documentary style video about me and herping.
A herping friend suggested I should post it here.
Hope everyone enjoys!

Post subject: Re: What is Herping? Why I do it. - A short Documentary film
PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 9:09 am 

Cool video.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 4:19 pm 

I hope this video gets more attention because its so technically/artistically excellent! A great introduction to field herping and what motivates you to do it. I think you guys nailed it and should be proud.

I'd infiltrate and nominate you both for a "Herpie" award from the Academy of Herpetology Motion Arts, but sadly no such award or organization exists! :lol:

PostPosted: October 17th, 2018, 12:14 pm 

Flippin Idiot wrote:
Cool video.

Thanks man!

technoendo wrote:
I hope this video gets more attention because its so technically/artistically excellent! A great introduction to field herping and what motivates you to do it. I think you guys nailed it and should be proud.

I'd infiltrate and nominate you both for a "Herpie" award from the Academy of Herpetology Motion Arts, but sadly no such award or organization exists! :lol:

Thanks Ian! Really happy you enjoy it so much.
So far I have only had positive feedback about it so I hope it stays that way.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2018, 3:23 pm 

You guys deserve a lot of credit. That was very nicely done--and very tasteful. I enjoyed the fact it was in a foreign land too. It just adds to the universality of what herping is all about.

Thank you for taking the time to film this. You did this hobby right for sure.

Brian

PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 7:57 am 

Fire Drake wrote:
You guys deserve a lot of credit. That was very nicely done--and very tasteful. I enjoyed the fact it was in a foreign land too. It just adds to the universality of what herping is all about.

Brian

Thank you Brian!
I really hope it gets used as a tool to show non herpers what herping is and maybe even get some of them involved.

Cheers
Fred

PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 3:06 pm 

That was really well done. Lots of familiar, even universal themes & feelings & instincts & skills.

Do you have asps in Germany? Lucky!!! I didn't realize they went so far east; I think of them as basically a French/Italian critter.

I love a nice asp. Ha ha.

cheers

PostPosted: October 19th, 2018, 8:16 am 

Jimi wrote:
That was really well done. Lots of familiar, even universal themes & feelings & instincts & skills.

Do you have asps in Germany? Lucky!!! I didn't realize they went so far east; I think of them as basically a French/Italian critter.

I love a nice asp. Ha ha.

cheers

Thanks Jimi!
Yeah, I was hoping to create that familiar atmosphere that most herpers can relate to.
We do actually have one population but the location is kept very secret.
The asp viper and the dice snakes where found in Switzerland on a one day trip.
They are beautiful animals.

Thanks again
Fred

PostPosted: October 19th, 2018, 11:21 am 

Wow, really awesome video! This captures the feeling of success and deep satisfaction that one can get from herping.

I really like the part about enjoying/harassing nature. There is a line there, and it's important for people to not cross it and overhandle the snakes. You said it perfectly.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 1:42 pm 

OkanaganSFLT wrote:
Wow, really awesome video! This captures the feeling of success and deep satisfaction that one can get from herping.

I really like the part about enjoying/harassing nature. There is a line there, and it's important for people to not cross it and overhandle the snakes. You said it perfectly.

Thanks!
Glad you enjoyed it and that we seem to share the same views on herping ethics.

Fred

PostPosted: October 21st, 2018, 4:28 am 

Just wanted to also chime in, and say this video was excellent.
I've been sharing the YouTube Vid with (non-Herping) friends/family.
Thanks!

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2018, 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Good job. You should be quite proud!

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2018, 12:27 pm 

Burke wrote:
Just wanted to also chime in, and say this video was excellent.
I've been sharing the YouTube Vid with (non-Herping) friends/family.
Thanks!

Thanks man!
Yeah I was trying to word everything so it could also be used as an educational video about herping or even as an introduction into herping for non herpers and friends/family!

Fred

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2018, 1:03 pm 

Scott Waters wrote:
Good job. You should be quite proud!

Thanks so much Scott!
Really hope a lot of people get to appreciate it.

Fred

PostPosted: October 30th, 2018, 3:26 pm 

Cool video! Reminded me of some of the stuff I’ve seen on Viceland that the skateboarders are doing these days. Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: I also think it’s a good introduction to the hobby. And the pattern on the first ad or was rad :beer:

I’m thinking about getting back into video next year. What kind of camera did you guys use for this? What kind of editing software?

PostPosted: November 6th, 2018, 9:28 am 

Porter wrote:
Cool video! Reminded me of some of the stuff I’ve seen on Viceland that the skateboarders are doing these days. Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: I also think it’s a good introduction to the hobby. And the pattern on the first ad or was rad :beer:

I’m thinking about getting back into video next year. What kind of camera did you guys use for this? What kind of editing software?

Sorry Porter, just saw your comment now. The Camera is a Panasonic GH5 used with the Rode GoMic. Editing software is Adobe Premiere pro.
Thanks man! Yeah I think Chris did a fantastic job on this video. Yeah I wanted it to be something I could show people that ask me what herping is and why I do it.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2018, 2:11 pm 

Bavarianherper wrote:
Porter wrote:

Sorry Porter, just saw your comment now. The Camera is a Panasonic GH5 used with the Rode GoMic. Editing software is Adobe Premiere pro.
Thanks man! Yeah I think Chris did a fantastic job on this video. Yeah I wanted it to be something I could show people that ask me what herping is and why I do it.

ThanksFor getting back to me! No worries, time is short these days. I’ll definitely look into that type of camera next year As an option after I get my returns :beer:

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 8:54 am 

Fire Drake wrote:

Brian

Well said Brian.

I enjoyed this, you took an event/discipline/fascination that is hard to explain to others, they often "just don't get it" and made it accessible. Further you did it without hyperbole and outrageous overacting/punchy footage. Your music was perfect, set the tone and mood, and is so often a distraction when done by beginning videographers. Well played...Vic

PostPosted: December 6th, 2018, 11:54 am 

VICtort wrote:
Fire Drake wrote:

Brian

Well said Brian.

I enjoyed this, you took an event/discipline/fascination that is hard to explain to others, they often "just don't get it" and made it accessible. Further you did it without hyperbole and outrageous overacting/punchy footage. Your music was perfect, set the tone and mood, and is so often a distraction when done by beginning videographers. Well played...Vic

Thanks Vic!
Yeah Chris had a rough idea of what he wanted to film and I had a rough idea of the message I wanted to get across.
Really happy the right people seem to enjoy it for the right reasons.
Of course we could have annoyed the animals and get strike footage and such to make it "cool"...
But that's not what we are about.
Chris as a film maker and I as a herper.

Fred

PostPosted: December 6th, 2018, 3:50 pm 

Bavarianherper wrote:
VICtort wrote:
Fire Drake wrote:

Brian

Well said Brian.

Thanks Vic!
Yeah Chris had a rough idea of what he wanted to film and I had a rough idea of the message I wanted to get across.
Really happy the right people seem to enjoy it for the right reasons.
Of course we could have annoyed the animals and get strike footage and such to make it "cool"...
But that's not what we are about.
Chris as a film maker and I as a herper.

Fred

Back when I entered the form around 2009 I was met with much disapproval and controversy among the newer generations. Although I got a lot of compliments on my photography and use of point-and-shoot cameras to produce very professional artistic quality photography, a lot of people disagreed with my methods of catching rattlesnakes by hand and things I Incorporated into videos. I think this one probably stands out the most because of the end shot of the gopher snake aggressive Lee striking at the camera . I think a lot of people thought I’d taunted this animal to get it to do that. However I was actually trying to release the snake and get footage of a climbing down a hole. This was one pissed off mother and wasn’t having it :lol: This was one pissed off mother and wasn’t having it. So, I just filmed what was going on and use that footage instead. Now, I will admit I thought it was cool as fudge… Especially the way I edited the hissing into the music. First time anybody ever did that especially on this forum. But the reason I thought it was cool was the artistic angle of the snakes body and the counterbalance Displayed in the striking coil’s :thumb: Displayed in the striking coil’s. It’s a beautiful display of the natural behavior of these animals and I have to admit when I get back into video again this following year I’m gonna be incorporating stuff like this again. One thing I do disagree with this footage is that I let the snakebite the camera lens. And I thought later you Musta heard the snakes mouth biting something so hard. But in all honesty this Snake bit me a couple times and want to take my clothes with it, so…… I didn’t feel tooooooooooo bad :lol:

Anyways, I mainly responding to this let you guys know that I do respect and agree with the message you’re putting out in this video. And I want you to remember that when my videos start coming out next year, cause they’re going to be quite a bit different than what everyone’s doing. And I hope that people down misconceive what I’m trying to accomplish or think that my videos are in some kind of Attack against herping world Do you know any sense or form. Because I swear to God brother, it’s not! :beer: Do you know any sense or form. Because I swear to God brother, it’s not

Again you guys did a excellent job on this video and I hope to see more from you guys in the future! :thumb: Again you guys did a excellent job on this video and I hope to see more from you guys in the future! And I see all these double sentences getting added… I’m on the iPhone and for some reason anytime I add an emoji it adds the sentence again right afterwards… I don’t know why but I’m at work and busy and I can’t go back and edit those sentences out so I want you know I’m not messing with you or joking… It’s just a natural thing happening from stupid technology.

Also I’d like to say, water dogs love me 8-)

PostPosted: December 7th, 2018, 12:28 pm 

Stupid-phones....The way of the future, the future :lol: The way of the future, the future

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zj_kdwOSSAc[/youtube]

…Some kind of attack in shape or form*

…Enter the forum*

... Hurt the snakes mouth*

Etc,etc...

Sooooo, yeah :roll: :lol: :crazyeyes: ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :)
8-)

PostPosted: December 8th, 2018, 9:40 pm 

Well done BH!