It is currently December 12th, 2018, 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Atlanta, Georgia: Any connections?
PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 11:46 am 

Hey everyone,

Zach here. I've been flirting with the idea of moving to Atlanta from San Francisco and was wondering if anyone of the Forum (that is still active) lives there? I was wondering if anyone knew of any potential naturalist/nature institution positions available? Looks like a wonderful city for nature center, museum, aquarium, zoo jobs, and I'v been applying haha! Maybe I'm missing some :)

Thanks guys,

Zach

Profile WWW 
 Post subject: Re: Atlanta, Georgia: Any connections?
PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 2:27 pm 

Hey Zach! I can't help with helping finding a job over there, but did want to mention the Orianne Society, a conservation group that does a bunch of work with Indigo snakes, eastern diamondbacks, spotted turtles, hognose snakes, and a long list of other critters. I briefly lived in Atlanta back in 2003 or so and would have loved to help out Orianne, but they didn't exist until 2008. I'll be heading out to Places You've Never Herped 13 this weekend and will be checking some alligator snapper turtle traps, looking for hognose, and might even have a chance at capturing an indigo (under their permits as a volunteer/member) or seeing an eastern diamondback if I'm lucky. I have no idea if Orianne is hiring, however if you do head to Atlanta they are a great organization for networking and meeting other herpers/biologists/conservation folk. I met a kid that volunteered at the Atlanta Zoo, a few animal vets, and a bunch of other casual to hardcore Georgia/Southeastern herpers. Its produced some good friendships: 2 weeks ago I was visited by an Orianne field biologist in WA on his vacation for 4-5 days of heavy herping + rattlesnake telemetry, and in another 2 weeks another fellow I met at PYNH8 will be up in WA and we're going to go and look for amphibs for fun.

http://www.oriannesociety.org/

Post subject: Re: Atlanta, Georgia: Any connections?
PostPosted: October 26th, 2018, 10:18 am 

technoendo wrote:
Hey Zach! I can't help with helping finding a job over there, but did want to mention the Orianne Society, a conservation group that does a bunch of work with Indigo snakes, eastern diamondbacks, spotted turtles, hognose snakes, and a long list of other critters. I briefly lived in Atlanta back in 2003 or so and would have loved to help out Orianne, but they didn't exist until 2008. I'll be heading out to Places You've Never Herped 13 this weekend and will be checking some alligator snapper turtle traps, looking for hognose, and might even have a chance at capturing an indigo (under their permits as a volunteer/member) or seeing an eastern diamondback if I'm lucky. I have no idea if Orianne is hiring, however if you do head to Atlanta they are a great organization for networking and meeting other herpers/biologists/conservation folk. I met a kid that volunteered at the Atlanta Zoo, a few animal vets, and a bunch of other casual to hardcore Georgia/Southeastern herpers. Its produced some good friendships: 2 weeks ago I was visited by an Orianne field biologist in WA on his vacation for 4-5 days of heavy herping + rattlesnake telemetry, and in another 2 weeks another fellow I met at PYNH8 will be up in WA and we're going to go and look for amphibs for fun.

http://www.oriannesociety.org/

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Sorry for the long gap in response- been quite busy. I ended up landing a job with a nonprofit environmental institution, so all is well!

I will definitely try to get out and volunteer or at least join some Orianne events!

That being said, any Georgia herpers want to get out in the field come the end of November, let me know!

Profile WWW