Troglobitic Salamanders

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DanielThompson

Troglobitic Salamanders

Post by DanielThompson »

Something rarely seen: a metamorphosed Tennessee Cave Salamander (Gyrinophilus palleucus). These usually paedomorphic salamanders inhabit subterranean waters, primarily observed in cave streams. We saw two larvae in a pool upstream from where we caught this guy, but they unfortunately avoided capture. Jackson County, Alabama. November 2016.

ImageTennessee Cave Salamander, Gyrinophilus palleucus, morphed adult, big cave, Jackson County, Alabama by Daniel Thompson, on Flickr

Georgia Blind Salamanders (Eurycea wallacei). Five individuals were found during a single day of caving. We were lucky enough to observe individuals of different sizes. It's quite amazing to see how these guys change as they get bigger. Jackson County, Florida. November 2016.

ImageGeorgia Blind Salamanders, Eurycea wallacei, Salamander Cave, Jackson County, Florida by Daniel Thompson, on Flickr

The biggest individual, measuring 6cm in total length. Note the lack of eyespots when compared to the smaller individuals below.

ImageGeorgia Blind Salamander, Eurycea wallacei, Salamander Cave, Jackson County, Florida by Daniel Thompson, on Flickr

Measuring roughly 5cm in total length. Compared to the smaller individual below, the eye spots on this guy are less distinct and the gills are red.

ImageGeorgia Blind Salamander, Eurycea wallacei, Salamander Cave, Jackson County, Florida by Daniel Thompson, on Flickr

The smallest individual, measuring a tad under 3cm in total length. It is my understanding that no studies have been conducted on growth rates with this species so it's hard to say how old this one is, but I would assume very young.

A Georgia Blind Salamander (Eurycea wallacei) and a Dougherty Plain Cave Crayfish (Cambarus cryptodytes). The Dougherty Plain Cave Crayfish is often syntopic with the Georgia Blind Salamander and serves as a predator of the salamander. Jackson County, Florida. November 2016.

ImageGeorgia Blind Salamander, Eurycea wallacei, Dougherty Plain Cave Crayfish, Cambarus cryptodytes, Salamander Cave, Jackson County, Florida by Daniel Thompson, on Flickr
Jeroen Speybroeck

Re: Troglobitic Salamanders

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Out of this world... The pigmentation specks on some of these are beautiful! Thank you for these nicely portrayed Gollums!
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Fantastic photos! I need to find these for my salamander project.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Great post! These photos are spectacular. Can you describe how you set these shots up?
Thanks for sharing,
Best,
Nick