Tell Us Who You Are

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

sjfriend

Re: Tell Us Who You Are

Post by sjfriend »

Crap, I was hoping you would invite me to go ratsnake hunting... :mrgreen:[/quote]

You can still come and try. range extentions always possible. Plus, where else can you have a real good chance of getting eaten by a bear while herping ;)
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

sjfriend wrote:You can still come and try. range extentions always possible. Plus, where else can you have a real good chance of getting eaten by a bear while herping ;)

Bears, ya, I don't get along well with bears...Northern MI, Idaho, mtns of Arizona...yuck!! :lol:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Terry

You got nothing to worry about in bear country....as long as you can out run your buddy!

Dave
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Biker Dave wrote:Terry

You got nothing to worry about in bear country....as long as you can out run your buddy!

Dave
you really think we carry a gun for the bear? 6 shooter equals 5 for bear 1 for buddy!
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Hi All,
As you can see my name is Steve Bledsoe. I'm another invasive herper from CA. I actually have some family in Arizona but come here mainly to herp. I made my first herp trip to Arizona in April of 1965 when my buddy and I had a great time hunting desert herps and spending a day in the Santa Rita Mountains. I'm also a member of the California Chapter, and if you're proficient at simple math, you will have noticed that I'm a member of the OGR Club as well.

I hope to meet some of you in the field one of these days and I extend an invitation to you to come to Southern California. If you ever need a herp guide in SoCal, I'm really good at finding Utas and Fence Lizards, and sometimes even a snake or two!

I'm the one wearing the glasses. 8-)
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Hey Steve!

Its a good thing you denoted you were the one in glasses 'cause I was a wondering!
:lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol:
Glad to have you on board.
:beer:
See you in the field

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Hi, Steve, wecome aboard!

I'm looking forward to some spring weather. Saw my first herp in the yard last week (tree liz); but at the moment it's cold and we have snow in the Ritas. Maybe March will bring out a few lizards in the desert.

PS: Give me a call if you make it to s. AZ... ;)

TC
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Thanks Dave and Terry.

A few of the guys here are planning a spring trip to the Santa Ritas, possibly in May. I'm planning on tagging along.
I'm sure we'll notify you guys before hand.

Steve
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Steve, let me know some dates for your spring trip, 'cus I'll be in Kansas early on... ;)
Bob McKeever

Post by Bob McKeever »

It's long past time for me to introduce myself. I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet so that'll have to wait.
I'm in southern Nevada and retired. I've been documenting the herps I've seen for a long time now. Mostly in the warm deserts of NM, AZ, NV, west TX, & SE CA. Started out in PA though, a long time ago.

Primary interests include population dynamics of the American warm desert serpents, along with most anything related to Crotalids. I've probably passed by, or briefly chatted with some of you in the field without realizing it. Looking forward to face to face recognition, maybe on one of your field trips.

Till then,
Bob
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Welcome aboard Bob!

Are you wanting to be a member of the AZ Chapter? If so, let me know and I will gt you signed up.

If you want to post pics you'll first have to upload them to a site like photobucket.com or flicker and then cut and paste the url for each photo into your message using the "Img" button just below the subject line of your new message.

If you have any problems, klet me know and we'll work you through it.

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Thanks for signing in, Bob. Dave, Bob is already a Chapter member.

Hope to see you on one of our events, maybe this spring... 8-)

Terry
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Thanks for signing in, Bob. Dave, Bob is already a Chapter member
I was just testing you Terry!
:crazyeyes:
Dave
christopher law

Post by christopher law »

My name is Christopher Law, I live on that large piece of rock that separates Alaska from the rest of the US (lets call this rock Canada).

I am completing the 3rd year of my undergrad (B.Sc. Honors Zoology). I have strong interests in landscape and conservation genetics and would like to use herps as my model organisms. I am gradschool bound and have spent the last two summers working in molecular systematics labs as a gel jock (doing pcr and gene sequencing). My interests in herps goes back to the early 1990s when I was just a wee lad pestering my parents with the question "just one more snake please", gotta love those understanding parents.

I LOVE the desert (maybe because I absolutely HATE black flies and mosquitoes).

Last summer I drove from Vegas to Tucson (beautiful drive) and for 4 days hit up some spots (sasabe, nogales, parker canyon lake as well as north Tucson) for some herps.

Cant wait to get back this summer.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Glad to have you onboard, Chris. Best of luck in your grad studies... :beer:

Terry
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Hey Chris

Hope to see you down here in the desert soon. Good luck in school!

Dave
Desert Raticus

Post by Desert Raticus »

My name is Ena (no, that's not short for anything or a nickname - it's the real deal), and I live in Arizona in the rotten squalor (with a nod to Ed Abbey), that is Phoenix. It's been only in the past couple of years that I realized I was in a herp heaven: the desert southwest. I've always loved critters, but a good friend of mine introduced me to the joys of field herping, and now I am hooked. [hooked, ha! me so funny!]

I work part-time as an Environmental Scientist for a geotechnical/environmental consulting firm, and on my OWN time I go outside: hiking, biking, running, photographing, gardening, ponding, rafting, canyoneering, kayaking, whatever...

I have two desert tortoises, a Mexican milk snake, a crazy-ass cat, and some very tiny fish (none of which are named, "Nemo!"), out back in the wildlife habitat. I like to grow vegetables and bake bread and make herbal salves, but I can do my own plumbing and electrical, too ... ummm... guess I'm a jane-of-all-trades-master-of-none.

This is me doing some road cruising in 2010.

The object of my joy (I love the supraocular scales on these guys!)

At work...

And at play...

And I totally *do* bake bread.

One of my fav lizards - I mean, what's not to love about a guy who can puff up and wedge himself in between a rock!?

Oh, and I play the mandolin... badly... but it's great for those post-herping-adult-libations-required kind of days!

Can't wait to meet you all and hopefully see you in the field. I am absolutely going to your reptile museum in Tombstone, Brian! I didn't even realize it was there! [my bad!]

- Ena (aka "Desert Raticus")
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Ena, welcome to the AZ Chapter, and thanks for the entertaining introduction. I got tired just reading about all your activities. I'd like to do some of those things, but would need a motivator, heheh! I guess I'll just have to stick to my herp walks in the mtns of s. AZ.

Look forward to meeting. Maybe you can make one of our herp trips? Our spring trip turns up lots of those rock dwelling lizards... ;)

Terry
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Ena! Glad to have you here...

Now we have someone to check the cliffs above and below us for herps!!!

You came along just in time. We will soon be starting a herp survey of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in conjunction with an entire flora and fauna survey to be conducted over the next three years on the preserve.

With your background and experience you may want to consider helping us. Plus you will be able to go off trail and enter the preserve after dark when with the group for the survey, unlike anyone else!

Hope to see you around!

Dave Weber
President
AZ Chapter
Desert Raticus

Post by Desert Raticus »

ratsnakehaven wrote:Ena, welcome to the AZ Chapter, and thanks for the entertaining introduction. I got tired just reading about all your activities. I'd like to do some of those things, but would need a motivator, heheh! I guess I'll just have to stick to my herp walks in the mtns of s. AZ.

Look forward to meeting. Maybe you can make one of our herp trips? Our spring trip turns up lots of those rock dwelling lizards... ;)

Terry
Spring Trip?! Absolutely!

I've got way too many hobbies!

~ Ena
Desert Raticus

Post by Desert Raticus »

Biker Dave wrote:Ena! Glad to have you here...

Now we have someone to check the cliffs above and below us for herps!!!

You came along just in time. We will soon be starting a herp survey of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in conjunction with an entire flora and fauna survey to be conducted over the next three years on the preserve.

With your background and experience you may want to consider helping us. Plus you will be able to go off trail and enter the preserve after dark when with the group for the survey, unlike anyone else!

Hope to see you around!

Dave Weber
President
AZ Chapter

I'm all over it! Just say when and I'll be there!

~ Ena
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Hello everyone

Here is my introduction: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4767&p=57425#p57425

Nice to meet everyone!

Norman
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Norman, glad to have you onboard. Great collection of photos you have there. Talk more later...

Terry :beer:
lonediver

Post by lonediver »

Howdy folks.

I tripped across this site last week as I was trying to do some homework on herps and found your site to be of sufficent interest to lurk around a bit . Don't know that I would call myself a dedicated herper but likey more a citizen interested in/dedicated to conservation .

Name is Doug/lonediver choose as you may , I answer to most anything other than SIR . I have 4 acres close to Stanfield/Maricopa . When I moved in (6 - 7 years ago) it was rather stark reclaimed farmland . Since moving in have planted some 150 + (primarily native) trees , lost count of how many shrubs (again primarily native) . Built habitat for burrowing owls , currently have some 5 - 6 of those owls in residence , with the assistance of a rehabber tried to introduce western screech owls that did not stay unfortunately (have to try that again) . Have roadrunners and other birds that have taken up residence (that should tell something , you should know what they like to eat) . When I moved in I could not count and identify all the types of lizards but they were fascinating to watch as they scurried around . There are desert iguanas and spiny lizards also regal horned toads .

Now what I have been attempting to do here is to build a bit of a wildife sanctuary , over half the 4 acres is devoted to the wildlife . Now having built/created habitat for the avian friends , I am now starting to think about my scaly buddies . I have looked into the concept of hibernacula etc. in the past a bit . Basically a pit in the ground filled with rock/rubble and so on . put a cover on that out of different sheets of corrugated metal so as to provide access to the pits then covering that with a veneer/pile of rock . On a few of them I possibly had aspirations of building one wall of the pit with large sheet of glass where one could have access to possible viewing of the interior in the winter months for observation .

Have any of you attempted or have suggestions on possible success to this endevor ?

Thanks , Doug/lonediver

P.S. Love the pics of your place ratsnakehaven
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Doug, welcome to the AZ Chapter. Sounds like you have a great spot for what you want to do with your property. I like that area, which is Lower Colorado Desertscrub compared to my Upper Colorado Desertscrub. We are trying to get some trees going too, in addition to the natives, which include some live oaks and apples and a couple orange trees. I don't know if the oranges have survived our cold winter though.

About half of our acre is in native desert plants which is good for the lizards. Other things we do help the lizards too. We recycle all dead plant material, including tree limbs, dead agaves, clippings, etc. We usually create brush piles from the larger stuff and compost piles with the smaller things. Birds, such as sparrows, live and breed in the brush piles, as well as some small mammals, lizards, and snakes. Termites tend to recycle the compost piles. We manage the desert plants and tend to replace dead or dying ones. We introduced a few cactus species, creosote, moved some of the baby cactus around, and have a cactus garden.

We have tried hibernaculum also, but only to a small extent. Our house is on a small hill which drains into a large wash in front and smaller wash in back. We have dug into the side of the hill both in front and back and put a few boards in. I think a few rattlers and gopher snakes use them, along with some pack rats, but otherwise they don't help a lot. Most of the snakes seem to use rodent burrows which permeate the property. They brumate near the surface, as the ground doesn't freeze here, and I've seen a couple snakes during the winter. We trap a few wood rats and rabbits during the winter, also, to help keep rodent and rattler populations down; so we know there's lots of rodents here.

I'm interested in conservation too. I'm mostly interested in the Sonoran Desert ecosystem and the Madrean ecosystem in the mountains here. I like helping NAFHA with the database too, since I tend to see quite a few herps, and it promotes conservation and education. I think you have a good start and would be interested in seeing your place sometime. If you make it good for the lizards and birds you'll start finding snakes too, I'm sure. Good luck with that and talk more later...

:beer: Terry
lonediver

Post by lonediver »

Hi Terry ,

You might enjoy reading a thead that I did on brush piles at a different forum ;

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/ ... piles.html

On page 3 or 4 I talk about some design wrinkles that I implemented that you might enjoy . Also here is one I did on the burrowing owls .

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/ ... bitat.html

I have finished three 8 unit clusters with another in the process of being made . I haad a Proffessor/Federal employee out here recently who said that my immediate area has the largest population of burrowing owls in the state that he has seen seen . I took him on a tour of some 50 - 60 nests within a mile of my house . Come up and check it out .

Another thread that I entitled dead wood plantings ;

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/ ... tings.html

If you go through the thread at length I think that you will enjoy them . Among my latest projects was to build a few small mounds/mountains on my property . The largest of which is some 12-13 feet tall by some 120 feet long with several small peaks and ridge lines . Darn it , I neglected to build a cave into it which I and the critters would have liked .

The above threads have some pics of my place and SOME of the projects here .
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Sounds like a great piece of property lonediver!

Perhaps the chapter would be intersted in a weekend field trip to your refuge.

Dave
lonediver

Post by lonediver »

Be glad to have you visit , would be happy to have your expertise/guidance into how to best develop habitat for herps . Some homework I had done into that earlier ;

For the last year I have been collecting small piles of leftover block/rubble from various construction projects that I have come across for the purpose of putting into pits . Suggestions as to appropriate depth/dimensions would be appreciated . When looking about the internet for ideas on lizard/herp habitat , likely some 90% of the information is on developing indoor habitat contained in terrariums and such . I am desiring to build large open outdoor habitat , such info seems to scant in specifics . Different cretures havedifferent requirments I know but suggestions will always be appreciated .

I will be hosting the Tucson chapter ( maybe Phoenix too ) of the Arizona Native Plant Society for a flowering event of the Pennicerus Greggii (Arizona queen of the night) I have nearly 200 plants of that specie . Expected flowering time close to the first of june . In the time that I have observed its blomming has varied by as much as a month so the exact date will be determined by mother nature . (she is fickle as recent events have shown)

I do have a 10 year old desert tortise that was given to me to foster (would like to get her a mate) . In the future I hope to have pens for desert terrapins and Sonoran mud turtle . Goal eventually will be to securely fence 2 out out of the 4 acres in order to allow them all to roam freely (protected from dogs and cats ) throughout the 2 acres with appropriate habitat . I regret in doing that , that will exclude a desert fox that visitts the property ( trapped the fox five times in the last year so yes it is a quasi resident here) .

My time is pretty open , if you all would care to pick a time , I am sure whatever you would choose could be accomadated.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

lonediver wrote:Be glad to have you visit , would be happy to have your expertise/guidance into how to best develop habitat for herps . Some homework I had done into that earlier ;

I looked at most of the strand, but couldn't enlarge any of the photos. One thing we need to remember is that habitats are vastly different across the U. S., so things we do to enhance habitats are usually different, with some consistency. Herps hide underground or under surface cover, but you're right about tin in AZ. It gets too hot for tin, so most of the time tin doesn't work.
For the last year I have been collecting small piles of leftover block/rubble from various construction projects that I have come across for the purpose of putting into pits . Suggestions as to appropriate depth/dimensions would be appreciated . When looking about the internet for ideas on lizard/herp habitat , likely some 90% of the information is on developing indoor habitat contained in terrariums and such . I am desiring to build large open outdoor habitat , such info seems to scant in specifics . Different cretures havedifferent requirments I know but suggestions will always be appreciated .
That's an interesting idea. I haven't done anything with rock/rubble, yet, on my property in s. AZ, but sounds like something I'd like to try. Herps do love rocks, because they help thermoregulate, as well as providing protection from predators. I would want a percentage of the rock above ground, so herps could move upwards into rocks that are being warmed by the sun, even in winter. Below ground depends on the climate of your area. When I used to live in Michigan I built a hibernacula by digging a pit in the ground in the middle of a meadow and filling it with rocks I gathered from the fields on our twenty acres. I could only get down about four feet, or so, so it didn't work well for hibernacula. The ground often freezes more than three or four feet deep in n. MI. It worked in other times of year. Snakes tend to spend much time underground in all their habitats. They need moisture too, so in AZ they would have to find places with at least some moisture to keep them from dehydrating. The ground doesn't freeze much in s. AZ, so they wouldn't have to be very far underground for that.
I will be hosting the Tucson chapter ( maybe Phoenix too ) of the Arizona Native Plant Society for a flowering event of the Pennicerus Greggii (Arizona queen of the night) I have nearly 200 plants of that specie . Expected flowering time close to the first of june . In the time that I have observed its blomming has varied by as much as a month so the exact date will be determined by mother nature . (she is fickle as recent events have shown)
Many of us go on herping field trips/expeditions. May and June are prime months, so it might be hard to schedule visits this time of year for a whole chapter. I'm gone most of the 2nd half April to almost middle of June.
I do have a 10 year old desert tortise that was given to me to foster (would like to get her a mate) . In the future I hope to have pens for desert terrapins and Sonoran mud turtle . Goal eventually will be to securely fence 2 out out of the 4 acres in order to allow them all to roam freely (protected from dogs and cats ) throughout the 2 acres with appropriate habitat . I regret in doing that , that will exclude a desert fox that visitts the property ( trapped the fox five times in the last year so yes it is a quasi resident here) .
I thought about adopting a tortoise for my little acre here, but that would necessitate putting a fence around our property and that would not only keep other animals out, but would confine the tortoise. Tortoises may have a home burrow, but like to roam. Anyway, I thought better of it. A friend of mine had a tortoise in his backyard which burrowed under his garage and spent the winter. He would put lettuce and other veggies/fruits, etc, out for it, but none of that kept the tortoise around. It left in the spring.
My time is pretty open , if you all would care to pick a time , I am sure whatever you would choose could be accomadated.
Maricopa is in n.w. Pinal Co, isn't it? One of these days I'll plan a trip to the Maricopa Mtns and maybe I could stop by. We'll have to stay in touch....

;) Terry
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Doug

To find info regarding buidling hibernacula, etc I would try the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson for info.

As far as finding a "mate" for your desert tortoise, it is illegal to intentially breed tortoises. If you do have babies, they must be given away within the first year of life to adoptive families in the area, or turned over to AZGF.

If you need a good herp vet to help care for the tortoise/s I would suggest Dr Kevin Wright and/or Dr Jay Johnson at Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital in Mesa.

Dave Weber
Kingspade

Post by Kingspade »

My name is Rick Schultz and I have been into reptiles for most of my life. I do rattlesnake
rescues for the AHA and Phoenix Rattlesnake Solutions. I also own two small corporations.
I got on this site because John from Arizona Reptile Center in Mesa told me I would find
like minded people on here. I am always up for a rescue & relocation, or to educate people
about the importance of snakes in our desert. I work seven days a week for my two companies
and still do several rescues a week. Feel free to contact me if you ever need any help! Rick
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Hello Rick!

John at Arizona Reptiles is a good guy....

As a group, we are not in the "rescue/removal" business. AHA covers that pretty well. But what we do focus on is data collection of herps found in North America, Arizona specifically in this chapter. So you could help out by inputting data from your "rescue/relocations" done through AHA into our database at http://www.naherp.com.

Anyway...if you are able to tear yourself away from your businesses for a few hours once a month we will soon be starting a herp survey in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in Scottsdale.

Hope to meet you soon!

Dave Weber
AnimalMan1981

Post by AnimalMan1981 »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nick Burge and am a new Az Chapter Member, after having attended the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy and Salome outings....during the week I have an AWESOME job of teaching Life Science a K-12 charter school here in the Southwest Phoenix area (Laveen)...my science program has been functioning as a small exotic animal rescue for about 7 years now, taking in and rehabbing anything other than dogs and cats...We are a progressive school, with many hands-on, experiential (learning by experience/doing) activities, including gardening, habitat restoration and construction, and field trips all over Arizona, the USA, and to other countries!! I take High School level students to Costa Rica twice a year, once in January for 6-8 weeks to study biodiversity/rainforest ecology and zoology, and again in October to volunteer at a Sea Turtle Rescue for a week...check out pics, videos, and more info at:

http://www.cgcsaz.com or on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cgcs1/163910756989328

I love Arizona, and get outside as often as I can afford, wherever I can, and however I can!!!

Now how do I post pics? Have tried several methods and none seem to work, even pics for my avatar are "too big" Lol
Any help is much appreciated.....

Thanks, and can't wait to be a contributing part of this ever-growing community!!!

Nick
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Nick

I use http://www.photobucket.com. But any online photosharing site should work. You have to upload your pics to the site and then cut and paste the "direct link" using the URL button above to post it here.

Hope this helps....

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Hi, Nick. Welcome aboard.

Look forward to seeing what you post, and let me know if you need any extra help with the posting. Hope I have some time tomorrow, but will be catching up on domestic duties.

Terry

AnimalMan1981 wrote:Hello Everyone,

My name is Nick Burge and am a new Az Chapter Member, after having attended the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy and Salome outings....during the week I have an AWESOME job of teaching Life Science a K-12 charter school here in the Southwest Phoenix area (Laveen)...my science program has been functioning as a small exotic animal rescue for about 7 years now, taking in and rehabbing anything other than dogs and cats...We are a progressive school, with many hands-on, experiential (learning by experience/doing) activities, including gardening, habitat restoration and construction, and field trips all over Arizona, the USA, and to other countries!! I take High School level students to Costa Rica twice a year, once in January for 6-8 weeks to study biodiversity/rainforest ecology and zoology, and again in October to volunteer at a Sea Turtle Rescue for a week...check out pics, videos, and more info at:

http://www.cgcsaz.com or on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cgcs1/163910756989328

I love Arizona, and get outside as often as I can afford, wherever I can, and however I can!!!

Now how do I post pics? Have tried several methods and none seem to work, even pics for my avatar are "too big" Lol
Any help is much appreciated.....

Thanks, and can't wait to be a contributing part of this ever-growing community!!!

Nick
Bill Love

Post by Bill Love »

Hi Everyone!

I and my wife Kathy recently bought a place in Apache Junction, where we'll be dividing our time (probably spending most of it, actually) between there and our 'other' home in southwestern Florida. In the past, I've been co-owner of Glades Herp (back when it was 'Inc.', not 'Farm'), but now my entire captive collection [I don't collect wild herps, except short-term for photography once in a while] consists of a pair of sulcata tortoises and a vinegaroon; I don't want to be trapped at home with a heap of dependent animals. When the yearning to see herps in plastic boxes grabs me (less and less often anymore), Kathy still keeps modest colonies of corn snakes, Amazon tree boas, and ball pythons (yawn).

Besides herps, I also photograph people, events, etc. via my one-man commercial business at http://www.BillLovePhotography.com . I also lead occasional eco-tours to Madagascar via http://www.BlueChameleon.org , give live presentations (with PowerPoint) to interested groups, write freelance herp articles, and author the monthly Q & A column 'Herpetological Queries' for REPTILES Magazine (for the past 18+ years and running). Observing behaviors and photographing herps in the field is my favorite way to spend leisure time, though. I've always been a sociable person interested in meeting new, interesting people who I can learn from, and share / compare my life's experiences with too. I look forward to connecting with those kinds of folks out here.

Sincerely,

Bill Love
5062 North Bear Court
Apache Junction, Arizona 85120-8798 U.S.A.
Home # (480) 646 - 1297
Cell # (239) 464 - 6642
Kathy's cell # (239) 728 - 2390
Email: [email protected]

Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Bill

Glad to have you onboard! I think you'll like Arizona. You have a great home base location to go field herping out there in A.J.

I'm sure people will be very happy to meet you in person if they haven't already.

Dave Weber
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Bill, welcome to you and Kathy. I was a little slow noticing that you had written a message here. I'll be looking forward to meeting up. Maybe I'll see you at the MSC outing coming up. If you make it down my way, south of Tucson, give me a holler. I always like to chat with Kathy too, seeing as we like similar herps and I keep lots of ratsnakes (corns and Emory's). Take care and enjoy AZ.

Terry Cox/AZ Chapter Sec.
Green Valley, AZ 85622
520/390-6997
[email protected]
USNHM242

Post by USNHM242 »

Welcome Bill, its great to see you on the board.
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

Hi AZ Chapter,
I forgot to re-up after the FHF board reset.

Having been a terribly long-time lurker, I need to get this ball rolling and start contributing. I'm Monty Wilkinson. Formerly of the DC suburbs, since fled, I've been in AZ 5 years, am living in Oro Valley, and now have 5 years worth of data to start entering into the database, 98% of it atrox. ;) I first visited Tucson in '83, and knew instantly this is where I wanted to end up. It took another 20+ years to finally settle here. I only wish it had been 20+ years sooner.

In my all-too-short time here I've inexplicably learned a thing or two, hope to contribute whatever I can (homebrew?), and still have much much more to learn. My wife and I enjoy road-cruising nightly, taking bad photos of snakes, worse photos of owls, and missed photos of bobcats. Anything in focus is purely coincidental, accidental even, and doesn't necessarily reflect the opinion of the photographer.

The AZ chapter obviously has a collection of individuals with a staggering array of herpetological talents. I hope to stand and be counted among you in the August outing.

Regards,
Monty
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Glad to have you on Monty!

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Welcome, Monty. Look forward to your posts and meeting up in August.

Terry :beer:
originalsupahman

Post by originalsupahman »

I am Cody Hurlock, a recent Environmental Science graduate from Yuma, AZ. I am pretty new to the herping thing, and I have only recently got into it after watching some others. I am always out and about in Arizona as I enjoy camping, birding, insects, etc. I ran into some herpers in the Chiricahuas last year. Since then, I have been trying to find other people who share the fascination with reptiles and I happened upon this forum.

Are there any reptile enthusiasts in the Yuma area on here?
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Cody

If you dont get an immediate answer dont worry...there are Yuma herpers on this forum.

Welcome aboard!

Dave Weber
originalsupahman

Post by originalsupahman »

Haha. Yeah, I'm guessing some people don't have the time to be on here every day of the week like I am. :)
webherper

Post by webherper »

Azvenomous wrote:
Christian didn't know ( and never bothered to check to see) there was an existing exhibit in town and his never got off the ground. He moved to Phoenix in early spring and I haven't seen him since.
Brian
Actually, your place was vacant when we first scouted Tombstone and began to put together our exhibit. However, in the meantime, you opened your place before we opened ours, and we weren't going to stop our plans. :D

Lets just say it was a bad time in the economy to attempt what we had envisioned, and there was a few other unplanned hiccups along the way.

BTW how are my rattlesnakes doing?
webherper

Post by webherper »

Hi,

My name is Christian Reynolds. I lived in Tombstone, AZ until March of 2010, and now Currently reside in Charlotte, NC.

This is the first chance I have had to re-involve myself in this hobby, and I hope to be visiting AZ on a regular basis in the future (or possibly buying my own little preserve :) )
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Hey Christian!

NC is a long way from AZ. Good to see you back on the board. We hope to see you out in the field soon.

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Christian, you ol' dog. We thought we lost you last year. Good to see you back.

I just got back from MI, my old stompin' grounds. Saw some of my favorite snakes, like massasaugas, fox snakes, and milks. N. C. is a great area too. I used to hunt there a lot in the old days. My best bud and I will be heading that way in the next year or two.

Let me know when you're in AZ again.

Terry

webherper wrote:Hi,

My name is Christian Reynolds. I lived in Tombstone, AZ until March of 2010, and now Currently reside in Charlotte, NC.

This is the first chance I have had to re-involve myself in this hobby, and I hope to be visiting AZ on a regular basis in the future (or possibly buying my own little preserve :) )
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Hi, Cody. Nice to have you onboard. We have a lot in common. I had a focus on environmental science also, for my M. S. at Michigan. I like all the ecological interactions bt. plants, herps, birds, and insects, esp. I live in Green Valley, about 30 miles south of Tucson. I also like the Yuma area. Let me know when you're in my area and I'll try to do the same.

Terry

originalsupahman wrote:I am Cody Hurlock, a recent Environmental Science graduate from Yuma, AZ. I am pretty new to the herping thing, and I have only recently got into it after watching some others. I am always out and about in Arizona as I enjoy camping, birding, insects, etc. I ran into some herpers in the Chiricahuas last year. Since then, I have been trying to find other people who share the fascination with reptiles and I happened upon this forum.

Are there any reptile enthusiasts in the Yuma area on here?