Guess what bit me

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joshua Wallace

Guess what bit me

Post by Joshua Wallace »

I recently got this nice bite from a mean herp species. Can you guess which one?

hellihooks

Re: Guess what bit me

Post by hellihooks »

hard to even guess, not knowing where you live... but I'm gonna go Coachwhip... :D
Here's one for you to guess... :oops: :mrgreen:
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

Nope not a coachwhip. I live way up in the great north that is Washington state. Plus a coachwhip bite like that would be nothing. Also that is a doozy of tag.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Oh... Great White North, ehhhh? Aboreal Sally?
BTW... my tag was from my namesake...1st one in 34 years...and pretty minor :oops: I went herping on the way home from the hsp... :mrgreen: jim
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

Your a lot closer. It was a bite from one of my captive Coastal Giant Salamanders. It was a glancing blow, I dont want to feel a bite from one of the big guys full on.

Well at least you picked a good crote to get bit by. lol. At least you got to herp on your way home, that is the important thing.
Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

LOL that's nothing... THIS is a Dicamptodon bite.

;)
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

You win. That is quite a beast.
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

that's funny. my wife was claiming she got bit by a dusky salamander the other day, I called BS, I think I was wrong.

That last one is a lunker, WOW
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

They can get huge. Mine are medium sized and are about 9-10 inches a piece. I have seen several over 13+ inches.
Schell

Post by Schell »

I've heard that Dicamps can inflict a pretty nasty bite, but man! That's some carnage right there.
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

Earthquakes, mudslides, brush fires, hollywood stars, and now this! Even your salamanders are dangerous on the left coast. MOVE PEOPLE. Just vacation there like the rest of us!

:)

DNA
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Joshua Wallace wrote:Your a lot closer. It was a bite from one of my captive Coastal Giant Salamanders. It was a glancing blow, I dont want to feel a bite from one of the big guys full on.

Well at least you picked a good crote to get bit by. lol. At least you got to herp on your way home, that is the important thing.
Actually... a Helleri bite is about the worst crote bite you could get... as Crofab isn't very effective for helleri.... which was why the snake was collected in the 1st place... for the Crofab reformulation. I caught a fang, through a bag, on my birthday no less...Doh!

Natalie's a trooper... I actually guessed aboreal cause of a pic she posted of a bite from one of them... :shock: :lol: :lol: jim

Btw... I found 2 giant sallys (Santa Cruz) on Jan.1st of this year... my first lifer of 2010... they were pretty small, and kinda drab looking... till I got a flash on them...WOW... :thumb:
Image jim
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

I am aware of the seriousness of a helleri bite. It was a half sarcastic response. Its amazing how much worse you helleri are then the NOR PACs that occur up here in WA.
ALT

Post by ALT »

Not nearly as impressive looking as the Dicamp bite, but it is a rather obscure thing to score a bite from and this seemed like a great thread to contribute to :)

Unfortunately I did not have my camera when it happened but it bled quite a bit more than expected! This is second-day aftermath.

The vicious creature responsible: Pygopus schraderi! Seriously, I have a scar from a Pygopod. Ridiculous.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Wow... None of our big salamanders over here have bitten me. Only a dusky. That dicamp bite is crazy.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Salamanders can do that?!? guess I'll be more careful than I'd planned when I go look for them.

The only herp to leave any long lasting scar (which as faded over time) was a sav I had as a kid.
occidentalis

Post by occidentalis »

ALT wrote: Seriously, I have a scar from a Pygopod. Ridiculous.
Not Ridiculous. AWESOME!
wayne_fidler

Post by wayne_fidler »

yup duskies do bite my friend said one tried to bite him I called his bluff and poked my finger at the next one and it promptly bit down.