Mountain Kingsnakes Climbing Trees?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Cot

Mountain Kingsnakes Climbing Trees?

Post by Cot »

I have been a longtime herper, but this is my first time ever making a post on this site. I have thoroughly enjoyed everyone's posts, and although I have never made a post here, I appreciate each of you and I thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through your cool herping experiences.
A quick introduction about me and then a question. I grew up in the Bay Area in California and had a natural attraction to herping ever since I was a small boy. I spent hours and hours of my childhood catching and observing snakes, lizards and frogs in and around the Bay Area. I have since moved to Utah, and my family and I have enjoyed the same hobby in this beautiful state. I have four children and they all share my love and respect for animals and nature.
Now for my question- Regarding the Mountain Kingsnake (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)- I have often heard and read that Mountain Kings are very adept at climbing trees, and they are known to feed on birds in bird nests. However, I have never seen one in a tree, and I have yet to see anyone post an in-situ of one in a tree. Does anyone out there have any experience coming across a Mountain King in a tree? I'm just curious and would love to see an in-situ shot if anyone has one. Thanks for your time and attention!
Here is a photo of a Rubber Boa that my sons and I found last month here in Utah-
IMG-2489.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard F. Hoyer

Re: Mountain Kingsnakes Climbing Trees?

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Cot,
The species of snake in your hand also is a decent climber. I recall reading a note somewhere of a Rubber Boa being found up in the rafters of a cabin in Yosemite Nat. Park. Individual living in Skamania, Washington contacted me having found Rubber Boas in their attic.

And in the 1970’s I was contacted by an individual doing nesting studies on Chickadees in Calif. He discovered a Rubber Boa in a next box where a few days ago he had recorded data on some nestling chickadees that were now gone with the boa in the nest box. I believe his inquiry may represent the first report of Charina bottae preying on birds.

I too grew up in the Bay Area (Oakland), and recall finding a Gopher Snake crawling up a branch toward a Bush-tit nest.

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon)
Cot

Post by Cot »

Richard F. Hoyer wrote: June 16th, 2022, 9:46 am Cot,
The species of snake in your hand also is a decent climber. I recall reading a note somewhere of a Rubber Boa being found up in the rafters of a cabin in Yosemite Nat. Park. Individual living in Skamania, Washington contacted me having found Rubber Boas in their attic.

And in the 1970’s I was contacted by an individual doing nesting studies on Chickadees in Calif. He discovered a Rubber Boa in a next box where a few days ago he had recorded data on some nestling chickadees that were now gone with the boa in the nest box. I believe his inquiry may represent the first report of Charina bottae preying on birds.

I too grew up in the Bay Area (Oakland), and recall finding a Gopher Snake crawling up a branch toward a Bush-tit nest.

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon)
I have encountered several Rubber Boas over the years, and have never known them to climb. Those are fascinating accounts. Rubber Boas are so mysterious, I'm glad to learn more. Thank you for sharing.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Found my first California kingsnake (Lampropeltis) under a piece of loose bark that was loosely hanging to a broken dead tree trunk. Which had been struck by lightning, four or five feet off of the ground. I was peeling the bark looking for lizards (11 or 12 years old).

NOTE TO ALL READERS: You should NEVER peel the bark off of logs or tree stumps! It provides a home for not only herps, but a variety of insects and other animals. I was young and didn't know any better. (My friends and I were self-taught herpers)
Richard F. Hoyer

Cot,
My youngest son Ryan lives in Genola, Utah. He is a herper and once was president of the Utah Herp. organization. He has a web site on the Rubber Boa you might wish to visit. www. Ruibberboas.com

Richard F. Hoyer
Cot

Post by Cot »

Richard,
I checked out your son’s website and it was extremely interesting to read. Sounds like you are the man when it comes to Rubber Boas! I should reach out to your son and share some Rubber Boa information. I’m assuming he already knows all of the locales where they can be found in Utah County, but he may be interested in my observations anyway. By the way, my Dad was born in Oakland and I was born and raised in Hayward.
Cot

Post by Cot »

Porter wrote: June 16th, 2022, 5:09 pm Found my first California kingsnake (Lampropeltis) under a piece of loose bark that was loosely hanging to a broken dead tree trunk. Which had been struck by lightning, four or five feet off of the ground. I was peeling the bark looking for lizards (11 or 12 years old).

NOTE TO ALL READERS: You should NEVER peel the bark off of logs or tree stumps! It provides a home for not only herps, but a variety of insects and other animals. I was young and didn't know any better. (My friends and I were self-taught herpers)
Porter,
Thank you for your response. That is an interesting find for sure.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

The highest pyromelana I've ever seen was on top of a giant boulder, but none in trees.
Donald Hahn told me of an incident in Oak Creek Canyon, Arizona. He asked a fisherman if he had seen any snakes, and the fisherman pointed up into the tree next to them. "Just that one" he said. It was a pyro.
Jeff
Cot

Post by Cot »

Jeff wrote: June 17th, 2022, 3:19 pm The highest pyromelana I've ever seen was on top of a giant boulder, but none in trees.
Donald Hahn told me of an incident in Oak Creek Canyon, Arizona. He asked a fisherman if he had seen any snakes, and the fisherman pointed up into the tree next to them. "Just that one" he said. It was a pyro.
Jeff
Jeff,
That is a really cool account. Thanks for sharing. I guess I’m also just wanting to confirm that you all have also learned that Mountain Kings are known to climb tress as well? Or am I off base? I enjoy learning and I’m just curious as to whether or not the information is accurate.
Richard F. Hoyer

Earlier today, a herper in Bend, Oregon sent me a photo of a Rubber Boa climbing in some woody brush in central Oregon. I was able to copy the photo to myslef but I don't know how to copy it to this forum post.

Richard F. Hoyer

Inline image
Porter

Post by Porter »

90CD5828-1835-4501-B361-88B39C9529C9.jpeg

Richard..! Don’t use the image button at the top of the texting box. You have to use the attachments “add file” selection below. That image thing at the top is for BB codes or something like that… not actual image files. File sharing websites, or something... I think
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.