Massachusetts Amphibian Madness

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rad

Massachusetts Amphibian Madness

Post by Rad »

I wanted to show off some highlights I found from Massachusetts this year, 2022 so far has been my best year (already finding 3 lifers!) and a total of 13 amphibian species. This week I hope to travel to western MA and also get Spring Salamander, Dusky Salamander, and if I'm lucky my lifer Jefferson Salamander. Also Gray Tree Frog, Pickerel Frog, and Leopard Frog would nice to get already. I would also love to herp with some people here, been doing it for a few years on my own but now would like to begin meeting new folk.

Anura:

American Toad (Anaxyrus americanus americanus)
Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer)
Wood Frog (Lithobates sylvaticus)
Green Frog (Lithobates clamitans)
Bull Frog (Lithobates catesbeianus)

Caudata:

Red-Backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)
Northern 2-Lined Salamander (Eurycea bislineata)
4-Toed Salamander (Hemidactylium scutatum)
Spotted Salamander (Ambystoma maculatum)
Unisexual Blue-Spotted/Jefferson Salamander (Ambystoma "unisexual laterale x jeffersonianum") Lifer!
Blue-Spotted Salamander (Ambystoma laterale) Lifer!
Marbled Salamander (Ambystoma opacum) Lifer!
Red-Spotted Newt (Notopthalmus viridescens viridescens)
marbledsalamander.JPG
newt.jpeg
4toed.jpeg
bluespot.JPG
spottedadult.jpeg
woodfrog1.jpeg
2linedlarvae.jpeg
woodfrog2.jpeg
bluespoteggs.JPG
peeper.jpeg
erythristic.jpeg
2lined.jpg
streameggs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Re: Massachusetts Amphibian Madness

Post by Jeff »

That is a very nice assembly of critters. I lived in MA from mid 1966 to mid 1968 (elementary school) and saw seven of the species that you portrayed.
Decades later I am in Louisiana, and I can tell you that the marbled and spotted salamanders, and peepers, are very different in color and pattern down here.
As a kid, around Acton, I couldn't tell a pickerel from leopard frog, but some were big and bright green, so I'd say they were northern leopards.
All of these were routine around home, but one day on a family trip to Mt. Wachusetts I saw a big larval salamander in a clear stream at the summit, and I believe it was a Spring Salamander.

Keep up on the reports, and scenery would be nice.
Jeff
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I will be out looking for spring salamanders again this year. The place I go doesn't produce every trip, so it may take more than one try to find one. Let me know if you're interested in joining.
Rad

Post by Rad »

I know some spots for Springs here in MA, I have a really good spot in the White Mountains, a spot in northern CT, and a bunch scattered all through Western MA.