Costa Rica

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mark

Costa Rica

Post by Mark »

G’day all,

Just a question. I’m planning to go to Costa Rica for a couple weeks in October and looking for suggestions for places to go where solo night hiking is permitted. I’ve never been one to hire guides, partially to save money but mostly as I just much prefer going solo.

From what I’ve read most national parks in CR don’t allow it. That’s something I’ve encountered a lot in the past in SE Asia and I usually get around it by just going into the park in the afternoon and not coming out until late at night, which works as long as you’re not required to sign a register. That said, I’d much rather not have to be sneaking around, so if anyone knows of a good herping destination without a no night hiking rule, I’d super appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mark
Kfen

Re: Costa Rica

Post by Kfen »

The only way Ive been able to do night herping in CR is to either stay at a place with their own trails/property or literally pull off the side of the road in rural areas and walk into the woods. Doing the latter I never strayed too far from the car but it has been productive. Really a mix of road cruising and taking short walks.