We All Live In a Yellow Submarine

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

We All Live In a Yellow Submarine

Post by Porter »

OK, so just to give a brief description of what this video is about... last year I was out herping with my friend who happens to have a huge interest in the unseen world. One of those things being rodent burrows. He was fascinated and curious with what goes on under ground with snakes to the point that he went out and bought a telescopic lens to attempt viewing some of the underground snake activities. We got on the subject of talking about rodent burrows and I want to say that he pointed out to me how it’s set up similar to a house. I then offered the information that banded geckos do the same thing based on my experience keeping a banded gecko as a pet. It picked one corner of the terrarium and only used that corner as a bathroom. Each time I cleaned the tank I only had to scoop out the one corner. He basically set up the terrarium as it's species would an underground home. Then, we got on a completely different subject and started wondering how many snakes were killed by the California floods and how many could’ve made it out alive… I suggested that they might be able to live in air bubbles beneath the surface IF It’s possible for an air bubble to exist long enough to live in. Then I thought, maybe this has already been established years ago and I don’t know that because I haven’t gone to college for herpetology or any other kind of science major. So maybe what I’m presenting right now is something that everybody already knows or at least 80% of you already know. So basically I’m just wondering what’s going on, just like he is, and we’re trying to figure out the truth. I'm not trying to decredit anybody or try to steal any credit. We just wanna know what’s going on. A very humble approach to a deeper understanding of this world. Anything in regards to either supporting this hypothesis or proving it to be Unplausible is welcome and appreciated!

Porter

Re: We All Live In a Yellow Submarine

Post by Porter »

Questions:

1. Are burrows more common in habitats where there is clay in the soil? Is it present on the roofs of these rooms?

2. Are large rocks and solid chunks of wood commonly attached to rodent Burrows? How long can that hold a bubble?

3. Can a replica ant farm type scenario be made?

4. Rates in which oxygen is transformed into carbon dioxide within a circumference.

5. Production of carbon dioxide in reptiles vs amphibians vs mammals

6. Can snakes actually contain the ability to breathe through scale absorption at a low levels with enough percentage rate to survive, similar to amphibians?

7. How long does flood water Cover burrows?

8. Do mice/rodents store food in burrows?

9. Is clay present in prairie dog habitats? Is Clay absent in habitats were prairie dogs do not thrive?
Porter

Post by Porter »

Here's something to add to this. I had a conversation yesterday with someone (they asked to not be revealed due to separate personal reasons of a different issue with the forum) about this and wanted to share in case anyone out there has constructed a Ant-farm-terrarium like the one described... Or if simply anyone has anything to add. Come on people!! Lets get this ball rolling... We got a planet to save!! Geez La-friggin wheeze!! (insert one eyebrow raised emoji)

Porter

Post by Porter »

K, after getting a full nights sleep. And thinking more clearly, I want to state That I highly am against putting any snake or mouse in such a traumatizing and terrifying situation as I suggested yesterday :lol: :crazyeyes: That I highly am against putting any snake or mouse in such a traumatizing and terrifying situation as I suggested yesterday no way I could ever go through with something like that and I was just off the top of my head trying to think of a way, of ANY way of possibly testing it. This is where you scientist kids are supposed to step in and take over (One eyebrow raise the emoji inserted) but yeah isn’t there some type of instrument that can measure oxygen levels. And can’t we use math to calculate how many breaths it would take based on monitoring a snakes heart rate at a certain temperature and just do the math… I’m sure there’s a way without putting the actual snake or mouse in that situation. But yeah I had to chime in on that one. You’re getting the rough draft not the polished paper and I said what needed to be said… Peace And love brothers and sisters. Let’s figure out where to live when the world floods over all right I’m done
Porter

Post by Porter »

61B4F567-E0EF-4D9B-81DC-0CF2C3F92302.png
6444A930-01A4-4FB2-B786-BA3530043A09.png
80D7BFD5-6DD7-4388-B5BD-9F205632FCE9.png
D702FDF2-FFD3-45A3-B8AF-9DFC431FAE05.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Porter

Post by Porter »

92246999-7AF2-4090-A465-F95D64CD8D5C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Porter

Post by Porter »

37D99E14-6D99-4856-8C1E-7531C61E475A.jpeg
06A03858-588F-4651-A1C6-5C309B806AE3.jpeg
E678E71D-AD3A-4729-A8C4-197E1A7185D5.jpeg
E678E71D-AD3A-4729-A8C4-197E1A7185D5.jpeg
Porter

Post by Porter »

So, if they know how many number of breaths a mouse can take per square inch of oxygen. Then you put a mouse and a snack at the same temperature and calculate how many less breaths of air the snake takes in comparison to the mouse. Neither animal needs to be submerged beneath the water. The only thing that needs to be established is how long the oxygen is sustainable
Porter

Post by Porter »

Then, to test to see if the snake actually is utilizing the bubble. Stick one of those giant garter snake tracking devices on a individual within the habitat. There may already be documented records of a snake surviving under a flood out there, who knows. Talk to your colleagues. They just didn’t put two into together… They thought the snake was somehow above flood waters.Get Crackin before I start mackin :lol:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Copy and paste did from Owens post:
yoloherper wrote: February 13th, 2020, 12:33 pm
Also Porter, to respond to you question on airpockets, Gigas have been documented overwintering in air pockets. Seems like lots of burrows get flooded and snakes of all species come out and float to higher ground during major flood events, but a number of years back a telemtry tracked snake stayed put. It's trackers didn't know whether it was dead or alive until the following spring when it was refound healthy.
-Elliot
Sweet. :thumb: Any chance we can get a date and name for the person who figured out the air pockets deal? And how they figured out, tested, and proved The snakes were using air pockets?

Also on a sidenote, what color was the telemetry snake that was thought to be dead when found? Did it change from normal brownish yellow coloring to all Green?