Copperheads and Bikinis

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

Copperheads and Bikinis

Post by LouB747 »

A great family vacation, which involved more than just snakes. Fishing, boating, and maybe a few beers. Good times!

RenoBart

Re: Copperheads and Bikinis

Post by RenoBart »

Nice vid, as always, Lou. Serious question: How are you avoiding getting dinged by YouTube using all that music?

Bart

PS - Big green bug looks like a giant Katydid to me...
OregonFieldHerper550

Post by OregonFieldHerper550 »

Lou - you’re a great story teller. Your evolution as a videographer and editor over the past 5 years is impressive. I recently looked at one of your earliest Singapore videos (looks like it was shot with a GoPro) and it doesn’t come close to what you’re doing now. Your video style makes the viewer feel like we’re right there with you. We’re headed to Singapore in a few weeks with plans for a few night herping excursions of our own (however, we won’t be wearing flip flops) - all inspired by your interesting video adventures. Thank you for your good work and talent - keep ‘em coming!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks so much for the kind words and support. Yeah, my early videos are a bit rough! GoPro and no real storyline. I've learned a lot over the years about what to do and what not to do. Hopefully it shows. I will say editing these videos takes forever! Maybe I spent too much time on it.

As far as YouTube and music, I try and use music that's fitting. If it's a well known song, then YouTube puts ads on it and the artist gets the revenue. I'm ok with that as I'm not making a killing off YouTube. That said, if I think it's a video that will get a lot of views, sometimes I'll use a non copyrighted song or no song at all.

People sometimes ask if I make any money off YouTube. Here's a brief rundown for those who want to know.

I currently have around 16,000 subscribers.
I have over 300 videos
I make between $300 - $800 month.

My channel is snakes and aviation. Here's a comparison of income....

Gold King Cobra
$385 income

Large King Cobra
$330 income

Flying video
$3100 income

Rollercoaster POV
$1000 income

As you can see, there's not a lot of money from the snake videos. I have sold snake videos to Discovery, Deadly 60, etc. That pays more than YT right now.

But I do all this for fun and to share the experience. That's what it's all about and I hope that shows.

More videos on the way, if I can find some snakes!!!!!

Lou
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

So the money you are making off YouTube comes from ad revenue?

Regarding the music, I have uploaded vids with music and had the videos either removed by YouTube or muted. So maybe this is a new change. Interesting. If i could pull in $4000 a month on YouTube videos I would quite my day job!! LOL
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Yeah, ad revenue. You simply click a box allowing ads and you get paid. I believe you need to have 1000 subscribers and 4000 hrs watch time in the past year to be eligible. I'm guessing if you don't have that, they won't be able to
place ads... and using music that's not yours will be blocked or muted. I'm not 100% sure about that though.

A neighbor kid makes a ton of money on YT. He bought his parents house and has too many cars. His channel isn't snake related. Some people make a lot of money, but most don't. Again, I just do it for fun. I just thought
I'd post the income info because a lot of people ask me about it. Attached is my last 28 days. As you can see, the snake vids don't really make money. All that said, it does help pay for cameras, SD cards, gas, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monspessulanus

Post by monspessulanus »

Hi Lou,
Greate Videos, I like it when you use the drone, I have bought my first Drone, a small DJI Spark because it is easy to transport.
By the way which video edition software do you use?

BR,

Frank
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks. I use an older DJI Mavic. It still flies great. I shoot everything in 4K, so it keeps pace.

As far as editing software, I primarily use PowerDirector. Probably 99% of the time. Occasionally I use Adobe Premiere to do more complex transition effects.