Florida bound next month! Here piggy piggy!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Severa

Florida bound next month! Here piggy piggy!

Post by Severa »

It’s been a crazy year and a half for me and my wife. Renovated our house and built another to move into and we are just now getting settled in after two stressful closings. Almost forgot what a vacation even is but as it turns out, we have some vacation days unused and they need to get spent by end of August.
So, we’re heading down to Florida August 16-26th. First stop, Daytona reptile show. Haven’t been in 7 years and anxious to see what’s all changed since new laws have been put in place. I’m sure it will still be good to go to.
We have to hit Sebring to see the mother in law and I really want to hit the Everglades. I’m bringing the snake hook and some fishing rods. That is the plan as of now...fishing and field herping.
I have always heard that Dusky pygmies are abundant. They are one of my favorites.
Are there any good hot spots where I am pretty much guaranteed to see them?
Also, where are some places (roads) in the Everglades that are recommended to travel at night to see herpetofauna?

Thanks!
Noah M

Re: Florida bound next month! Here piggy piggy!

Post by Noah M »

Be careful herping in the National Park. I've heard of people getting citations for moving even burms off the road. If you see anything, I would just observe and photograph.
Severa

Re: Florida bound next month! Here piggy piggy!

Post by Severa »

Wow...that is ridiculous! Messing with an invasive gets you a fine? Noted! Thanks for the heads up.
We’re excited. Heading down the end of next week. Daytona weekend first, then fishing Tampa (John’s pass) a few days and then hitting the Glades Thursday-Sunday.