2018 End of Year, End of Flickr, & On to Video

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

2018 End of Year, End of Flickr, & On to Video

Post by Porter »

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again... This is the last year I do field herp photography :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No, but seriously... I mean it this time. Truth be told, I honestly thought last year was it. I didn't have any intentions of posting this year. I did get bored and went out a few times because, obviously something I like to do. Then I went to two different states for the first time. Both for other reasons than herping. So...thought, might as well take my camera. Then, I had members contacting to join me in the field. So it was more like herping opportunities came to me rather than me seeking them out. Still, with me working 13 hr days now, the thought of editing and weeding though mass quantities of photos isn't pleasant. Also, I just read that Flickr is banding uploads to guys like me that are over the 1000 mark and then even deleting old photos starting February… So, all my old posts are gonna vanish into the mist this year :o
Too bad, cause I really liked that bird photog one :cry: proud of that scat [insert middle finger emoji here]

Getting out this year was fun :mrgreen: I found myself reverting back to my original style of artistic in-hand shots and forum posts dedicated to individual outings (inspired by a post by, Ross Padilla). Which was refreshing because I feel like I had gotten in this rut of... posing herps for means of great photos... never before seen morphs...then sneak up in situs... all to impress, meet the standards, or find acceptance within the community. Then not getting much recognition or not as much as I felt the accomplishments deserved. I mean, I posted four or five never before seen Spea variations last year and no one seem to even notice or comment. So, once I let go of all of that, it was suddenly less stressful, less frustrating, and more personally rewarding. Also, found myself doing mini photo sets of individual animals again. Where I felt pressure before to only do 1 or 2 photos per find....fack it, here's 50 shots of my first in-situ lateralis eating a blue belly :lol: :roll: :lol: But that only reminded me... I want to do video again! I'm not satisfied with just one angle or one photo. I want to show you the two orange freckles on the ass of that thing and ya gotta see this cool greenish grey they don't normally have right there under the chin. What takes me 4 to 5 photos, I can accomplish in 10 seconds of footage. So, getting back to my roots of filmography was suddenly as appealing. Not only that, but watching Lou Boyers films and his enthusiasm has been inspirational in reigniting that flame. Dude's out there having a blast :thumb: reminded me how fun it was :beer:

So enough of this in depth analysis of interscoptive (not a word) explanational (also not a word) emotionitive (should be a word) convoy of metamorphal (seriously?) metaphoric rebirth.... :sleep: Lets get to the photos:

Sometimes you have to drive out into the middle of nowhere to let out a scream loud enough for the good lord himself to hear while breathing in the fresh aroma of warm crop-enriching manure (un-herping related). In the midst of that, I looked down just before almost stepping in this little dry grey backed slider... blended in with the rocks of same size around him, like a nest of killdeer eggs tucked away in hopes to one day see the light. I picked it up. He was an odd fellow... Not much to say. But when I tilted him downwards, he began to air-swim like an old burned out surfer trying to catch a break. And...I mean, it was cool. So... :idea: I took a photo

ImageDSC_0763-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0781-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0782 (2)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Then, I saw this little hop boppin sub-delta minion. Opinionated in degradful suspicions. Staring me down, he scowled, "wat chu lookin' at buddy!? ...ain't never seen a burrowing owl before?" I had in fact actually previously seen, observed, and photoed several of his kind before... however, I gave him no pleasure of the disturbing information.

ImageDSC_0860-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Next up, was the fuzzy wuzz hammered down to the ground after a heavy wind and rain storm. He looked like he needed some help to sober up... and I needed an artistic photo. So, I propped him up upon this beautiful floral arrangement to dry out. I checked later that day and he had flown away :thumb: ...or a leering bird in a nearby tree had made his dismay :o

ImageDSC_0081-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0042-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

I don't know who these turkeys are, but they kept flipping me the tail feather :o ...So I just let em bee :roll:

ImageDSC_0211-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

At this point, I really just needed to get out and do something artistic. It was a beautiful day out of town near the lake. Cool soft breeze in the air. Common herps were happy to display themselves. So, I made the most out of an uneventful chilly morning :sleep:

ImageDSC_0333-Recovered-2-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0334-Recovered-2-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0334-2-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0313-2-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0278-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0282-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0254-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0557-Recovered-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0455-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0437-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0583-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0636-Recovered-2-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0691-2-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0699-2-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

For these shots I reminded myself... Sometimes it can be worth your while to walk a little further down, The Lane. I mushroomed the dashboard of an old Honda accord, according to the rainy weather that severed the clever thought I had endeavored,, to deliver this withered drizzle rain creature beneath trees of mossy scatter, until drop splatter gathered, upon my back and hat sending chatter back from the flattered feather friends above me and the tatters...…. ohhhh, why does this even matter :sleep:

ImageDSC_0853-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0852-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0888-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

I mean, if it's St. Patrick's day.... How are you NOT gonna photograph GREEN :mrgreen:

ImageDSC_0897-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0911-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0997-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0064-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0098-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0139-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

After getting rained out...I decided to head out to the back of Folsom Lake to try and catch the Salmon falling. Right about this time, I needed to slow my roe... So, I rock flipped and log tripped but only skinky's seemed to redeem this. And miss Poison Oak kissed my ass... and boy, did she kiss it hard :oops: :crazyeyes: :cry:

ImageDSC_0176 (2)-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0217-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0219-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0225-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0229 (2)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0255-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0256 (3)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

This was just some very nice looking orange freckling on the bottom of a very average looking fitchi. Worth the recognition of artistic value.... beautiful.

ImageDSC_0304-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0307-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

That same day, I came across this very large beheaded YBR. It was in an area I visit regularly and I saw a mink come swimming up the canal then fleeing away into a drainage pipe before I could pull off a run-by pic. I think he may be the guilty culprit. Or she protecting her pups? Any thoughts....?

ImageDSC_0320 (2)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0323 (2)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0324 (2)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0325-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

I asked the guy across the street if he had seen who did this.... But he only shrugged, "what do I look like to you...A stool pigeon? :| " ...I then replied, "Youuuuu dirty rattttt...….."

ImageDSC_0355-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

This busy bee was looking for his little honey. However, he was tar-pit-trapped in a puddle of mud. I helped the lad out and carried on with my busyness...cheerio good man 8-)

ImageDSC_0371 (2)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Then this snoopster surfaced to see what was going on.... "How dare you retrieve bees from my snot pond" :oops:

ImageDSC_0377 (2)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0381 (2)-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0392-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0404-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Around this time.... My boss confronted me upon my arrival to work with a top secret mission of classified proportional value. I was to fly across state, take room an board with a classy hotel of their picking, paid dinner and fast break snosages and woffle taco cake pans, wait for further instructions until meeting with 5am secret agent, nd deliver the goods to the good people of the city of Seattle...I said, " sure.... can I play with newts and frogs on my downtime?" And the rest is history...

Here are a few highlights of that trip. Click this link to view the original post and photo sets:

Part one: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=24897

Part two: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=24899

ImageDSC_0696-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0730-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0979-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0162-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0175-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0507-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0542-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0532a-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0689-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0790a-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0917-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0007-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0008-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0041-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0083a-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0280-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0216-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0438-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0413-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Back at home.... The smell of spring reminded me that it was kingsnake season. So, like a ferocious hound dog... I track down my first king of the year. I wasn't the only monster looking for a snack...snake...ah, whatever. Typos, swipeos… Fuzzy hop-popping spiders watched me juxtapose :roll:

ImageDSC_0578-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0625-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0631-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0634-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0528-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0530-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0542-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

It was a good start to what would turn out to be a good day... After releasing the royal delta dweller. I flipped this gorgeous red phase gopher snake :thumb: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :thumb: So awesome! All the red phase I found before this have been at the foot of El Dorado Hills. So, to find this in the salty delta flat lands was neat :mrgreen: A placid and cooperative individual, he was a good subject to pose and I got some great photos.

ImageDSC_0142-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0164-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0185-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0190-4a by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0229-4aa by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0229-4a by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0257-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0272-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0277-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

I then drove back past the board where I released the Cal King. I thought I should get a belly shot of this guy. So I re-flipped him. FLIP He didn't like that idea..... and he let me know.

ImageDSC_0333-6 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Then, this chick started flashing her legs at me. I like, sorry... I'm not into that kinda thing. Still, she wanted me to chase her. She just kept flashing that orange color trying to get my attention. I'm like, I got better things to do. Kick rocks or suck eggs. I could care less....

ImageDSC_0369-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0300-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Then, to end the day... one more awesome snake. This was a very beautiful high yellow gopher snake :D The yellow coloring common for the area. However, you don't always find them this rich in Amarillo. Awesome snake and awesome slouching tongue rest :beer:

ImageDSC_0381-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0458-4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0442-4aa by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

To Be Continued....

Porter

Re: 2018 End of Year, End of Flickr, & On to Video

Post by Porter »

I'm not going to finish my EOY post. I just don't have the time. I originally was looking forward to posting these pics for raptor ID. Either it's a premature Bald Eagle or Golden Eagle from what I could find out on the internet in my brief attempt to ID it back in May. Anyone know how to tell the difference? I want to say I was at Huntington Lake, however I'm not 100% sure... I was in Frensno meeting randomly and had some time to kill so I drove around to see what I could find. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it. It was my first opportunity to photograph an Eagle.

ImageDSC_1599-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1588-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1589-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1590-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1591-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr