Some random NV shots.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jason Hull

Some random NV shots.

Post by Jason Hull »

HI folks,
These are just a few pics that I had left on my camera after this seasons adventures. Not much here (mostly lutosus) compared to how many photos I actually took this year but my computer had an "accident" of sorts and I lost the rest so this is it.

I spent most of my snakin time out in the desert east of home looking for Rattlesnakes.

This youngster was the first snake I saw this Spring.

A couple of road cruised adult lutosus from mid summer.

Some of the Rattlesnakes from this area tend to have some good size to them.

I wish I could just close my eyes and sit still like this when my wife starts up and then she'd just get board and get in the car and drive off.

Hatchling Patchnose Snake.

This snake was seen crossing the road out in the flats far from any real cover except for the rodent burrows.

My son spotted this animal on a hike in mid fall. It was pretty ragged out in the rear 1/3 of it's body like a female that had dropped but from sight it looked like a male to me.

Some angry folks out there in the desert.

I drove up on this snake as it was headed back to it's winter digs in the fall. It wasted no time retreating into this thorn bush.

Still holding on to most of it's juvenile pattern and color.

Seems that it felt safer and maybe even more confident making a stand higher off of the ground in it's makeshift gauntlet of thorns.

D.O.R. lutosus and stephensi from the north western extent of stephensi's range for comparison. These were found on the same road a few mile apart as the crow flies.

This is the first live stephensi that I've seen in NV. It was found further north than the previous D.O.R.

Well, thats all I have left from NV this year. I know, not much. Pretty boring.
On a positive note I did get a new computer and wi-fi so it's on now. :thumb:

Oh yeah, if someone can tell me how to pull gps co-ordinates from google maps or something I can contribute to the data base again. My gps unit also had one of those "accidents" and I probably won't get another.

Cheers, Jason :beer:
ThomWild

Re: Some random NV shots.

Post by ThomWild »

Very cool! Thanks for the report. I love seeing the variation in lutosus, they never get old.

-Thomas Wilder
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Oh yeah, if someone can tell me how to pull gps co-ordinates from google maps or something I can contribute to the data base again. My gps unit also had one of those "accidents" and I probably won't get another.
Great pics of beautiful herps and awesome places Jason.. :thumb:

If you log into naherp.com and select add entry. You will see on that page a little icon (of a wrench) above the "GPS" fields.
Click on that wrench and google maps will populate, from there you find your location, and when you have found the location click on it, and I Icon will mark the spot.. From there you close out of the google maps box and the GPS will appear populated in the field for you.

"Please" pm me if you need any assistance with this, we need Nevada entries.

Fundad
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Looks like those guys were bad shots if they were aiming for that target on the bus...cool pics though... :thumb:
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Thanks for the good word guys!

Thomas - I'm with you on that. I'm excited to see everyone that I do.

Brian - Thanks for your help on that. You guys have made the whole process pretty easy. Even for a tech tard like myself. I definitely have to admire the amount of work that you put into nafha in general.

Brian - Anger and a good dose of brown water don't tend to make for a good marksman I guess. I had to edit out the racial stuff painted on there.
JEDDLV

Post by JEDDLV »

Very nice stuff Jason, thank you for posting your pics. I can't wait until spring.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Brian - Thanks for your help on that. You guys have made the whole process pretty easy. Even for a tech tard like myself. I definitely have to admire the amount of work that you put into nafha in general.
Thanks Jason for the kind words and contributions. Quite a few people have put in endless man hours, but it is all worth while when we see members like you contributing when and where you can. Thank You.. It's good to have Nevada records..

It would be nice to have a ton more Rocky Mtn Chapter entries, as there are so many dedicated and talented herpers in the RMC. It would be awesome to see 2,000 or more records a year from the chapter as a whole.

:thumb: :beer:
Fundad
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Here are a couple more in situ lutosus shots that I found from earlier this year. Much nicer to see them like this.
Happy New Year !
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Great post here. Thanks.
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Thanks Tim!
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

A couple more in situ shots that I dug up.

Thats all. I promise. :lol:
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Nice post!
Porter

Post by Porter »

There's not much else to do but shoot up the ol' deserted bus when skipping school... in the desert.

Nice buzzers :thumb: I think I'm finally going to go look for those this year. Checked a couple cold spots on the way home from my last desert trip up near Mono.Tried to just squeeze in a last minute lutosus lifer. No dice. Awesome pics :thumb:
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Wow, this is an old post!

It's been a tad chilly for April so things are getting off to a slow start here in Washoe County but yesterday I did flip this little leutosus:

54F under the rock. Saw a few typical lizards getting out to bask as well but this was the only snake of the day.

Bart
craigb

Post by craigb »

Hey I resemble that remark.....
Jason, Fundad, Hubbs, Wild Jed, Porter.....

Have seen a lot of stuff through their decades in the field.

But as such, we all appreciate additions and pics from interesting areas.

Thanks for the update....

Craig Barnes
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Say Bart, if you catch this - got a guy asking about lutosus south of Mono Lake in CA. I've never looked there, and never found. You? I was discussing with him some likely-looking spots between Mammoth & Benton...hopefully he gives it a shot. Maybe he will reach out to you - I suggested it.

Cold wet day here today in SLC. Mountains are white again. Ah, early spring...

We are pondering a group pyro effort this May/June around our borderlands. Got any interest or time for that?

cheers
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Jimi wrote:Say Bart, if you catch this - got a guy asking about lutosus south of Mono Lake in CA. I've never looked there, and never found. You? I was discussing with him some likely-looking spots between Mammoth & Benton...hopefully he gives it a shot. Maybe he will reach out to you - I suggested it.

Cold wet day here today in SLC. Mountains are white again. Ah, early spring...

We are pondering a group pyro effort this May/June around our borderlands. Got any interest or time for that?

cheers
Hey Jimi,

I have never herped for Leutosus south of Mono Lake but I have no doubt they are there. There are plenty of Mono County records on NA HERP for leutosus. I know of several locations around Reno where I find them regularly but unfortunately, time is always in short supply for me concerning far away herp trips.

And yes, cold today in Reno, got a touch of snow in fact last night. Where are you planning to go for pyros? Down near Baker I would assume. I would love to head that way but at this point I am just not 100% sure time will allow, but if a plan is made, please PM me the details and I will see if there is any way I can make it out. Baker is about 7 hours for me so it's a haul. You might also check with Bryan Hamilton and see if he is doing another pyro survey this year...would be fun for sure.

Bart
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Well, right now the pyro quest ins't so much planned as discussed and agreed-in-principle. We sure hope Bryan can participate; he's defended his dissertation so hopefully is re-discovering the joys of a little free time. Ha ha ha. After all this time I still sometimes have college nightmares; usually they involve a forgotten assignment or exam. Ugh. Sooooo glad to have that all behind me.

Yeah, probably not so very far from Baker. Possibly closer (as the crow flies...) to Pioche or Caliente. Probably in UT not NV but we shall see what folks want to do. Several likely ranges come to mind: Indian Peaks, Mountain Home, Beaver Dam, San Francisco, and Bull Valley are the short list in UT. Any borderlands range south of the S Snake in NV (Fortification, Wilson Creek, White Rock, Mahogany etc) is also possible I guess - heck, right east of Panaca looks pretty good for pyros! The point is to get some new localities documented, not to go where they are already known (with evidence, not just stories) to be. We will be sure to include you on the invite list when time gets closer and we can get a bead on the weather. Every year I manage at least one outing that's just a little too darn early...

Good hunting, hope you can squeeze some in these next few weeks. I reckon the rattlers will be starting to make their dash any time now...
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Jimi wrote:Well, right now the pyro quest ins't so much planned as discussed and agreed-in-principle. We sure hope Bryan can participate; he's defended his dissertation so hopefully is re-discovering the joys of a little free time. Ha ha ha. After all this time I still sometimes have college nightmares; usually they involve a forgotten assignment or exam. Ugh. Sooooo glad to have that all behind me.

Yeah, probably not so very far from Baker. Possibly closer (as the crow flies...) to Pioche or Caliente. Probably in UT not NV but we shall see what folks want to do. Several likely ranges come to mind: Indian Peaks, Mountain Home, Beaver Dam, San Francisco, and Bull Valley are the short list in UT. Any borderlands range south of the S Snake in NV (Fortification, Wilson Creek, White Rock, Mahogany etc) is also possible I guess - heck, right east of Panaca looks pretty good for pyros! The point is to get some new localities documented, not to go where they are already known (with evidence, not just stories) to be. We will be sure to include you on the invite list when time gets closer and we can get a bead on the weather. Every year I manage at least one outing that's just a little too darn early...

Good hunting, hope you can squeeze some in these next few weeks. I reckon the rattlers will be starting to make their dash any time now...
Yeah, I made a promise to myself this spring to get out come hell or high water. There's almost always something messing me up in the spring, from work to family obligations, you name it. I will be herping both this Saturday and Sunday, and then the following weekend in California too. I wish I had more time off from work, because I would probably dedicate a solid two weeks a year just to camp and herp. But alas, I have to pay the bills...