iphone aps for field work?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

dthor68

iphone aps for field work?

Post by dthor68 »

Wondering what iphone aps folks here use in the field? All I need is to take a photo, photo needs to be geo-tagged with coordinates and the ability to take notes. I downloaded a free ap called "Field Notes LC". However, it will not allow me to take notes. I type one word, hit space to type another word and it shuts down. Shuts down every time I hit the space button. I have google earth as well, maybe it is capable of this maybe there is software already on the phone capable of this? New to all of this.

Any Help will be Appreciated,
Derek
chris_mcmartin

Re: iphone aps for field work?

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Sounds like the "Field Notes" app is horribly misnamed.

Have you tried the HerpMapper app? There's a field for notes. It logs the GPS coordinates. And you can designate either the NAHerp or Herpmapper databases to upload your records.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

chris_mcmartin wrote:Sounds like the "Field Notes" app is horribly misnamed.

Have you tried the HerpMapper app? There's a field for notes. It logs the GPS coordinates. And you can designate either the NAHerp or Herpmapper databases to upload your records.
Are those apps capable of keeping personal info, or is it shared? The last thing I am going to do is share my info with collectors!
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

dthor68 wrote:Are those apps capable of keeping personal info, or is it shared? The last thing I am going to do is share my info with collectors!
It goes into a database. I can only speak for NAHerp, since I use HerpMapper very little. NAHerp doesn't show localities past county to anyone but the person who submitted it, unless you allow researchers to access it (and they must request it each time).