I need help plz read

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Caliherper

I need help plz read

Post by Caliherper »

Hey guys I live in Modesto it's a town here in Stanislaus county in north California, I live 2 hours from San Fran, san mateo,santa Cruz ,I know there's ring necked and milk snakes in san mateo county in the santa Cruz mountain range, but I haven't had any luck at all do guys know when it's the best time of year to herp there, and the best time of day and weather ,if u do can u plz tell me because drive out there and never see nothing ,and if u have a good location that u can tell me where to herp in that area I'd appreciate it, thanks
RenoBart

Re: I need help plz read

Post by RenoBart »

Milk snakes?
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

RenoBart wrote:Milk snakes?
Perhaps thinking zonata?

You're more likely to get pointers on time of year and weather conditions than specific locations. I haven't herped that area so I can't help in that regard.
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Hey must be talking about Zonata...
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

The Santa Cruz Mountains are a fun place to herp, but take a bit of time to figure out. No milk snakes there, but the zonata there are very similar. In general, mid to late Spring will yield the most reptiles, but with dedication and persistence, they can be found year-round. If it's hot and dry, focus on areas near water with shade and start early in the day. If it's cool/cloudy then check areas where reptiles would like to warm up. There are several different ecotones there; redwood forest, oak woodlands, coastal grasslands, chaparral, pine/chaparral mix, riparian, etc.... Each has it's own herps and needs to be helped differently. Road cruising can be productive there during heat waves, but many of the roads have high traffic and lots of curves, which makes it tough. The best advice is to keep at it and try it at different times of the year. If you find a spot where someone has dumped trash/boards, etc... keep checking it, especially in Spring.

FH
Caliherper

Post by Caliherper »

Thanks guys I appreciate it ,I keep at at 3 days I found I few gophers snake herping by where I live that's all I ever find I want to find more colorful snake
meter

Post by meter »

If you want any chance of consistently flipping "milksnakes" (zonata) in the SC Mountains, you should come in mid to late Spring (April and early May) or late fall (late October and November). Z's are rewarding, but take considerable effort to figure out.

meter
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Or, you could save a lot of time and wasted money by just getting my book and reading it, which would explain everything to you...It's on amazon...

Go to this link and scroll down... https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... rian+hubbs