arizona herping

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

radiata

arizona herping

Post by radiata »

I am interested in herping arizona. The online regs look pretty complex. Anyone have any input or experiences?
Jimi

Re: arizona herping

Post by Jimi »

It can be a fun trip. You should do it. Homework will probably make it more fun.

The regs are not really that complicated unless you're looking at all taxa, statewide. If you narrow it down to where you're actually going, and what species live there - much simpler. The Madrean area has more diversity and more rarity, and also vastly more herper pressure, so more regs. The western desert areas don't really have much to figure out. Ditto the Strip. Both are cool areas though.

Buy the license(s) you need for whatever it is you are coming to do. The $20/day out-of-state hunting license is good for a short trip or two, otherwise the annual is cheaper and covers coming back as much as you like.

Whichever license you get - know what it allows, and what it does not. For example, "Closed season" means it cannot be hunted: no catch and release, no pursuit. You can't touch that willardi or otherwise prevent its departure, even for "just a photo". They are "Closed season", along with e.g. Cochise milks.

Expect enforcement, especially in the SE. Get that license, and follow it.

Got any specific questions? What is it you want to do, what experiences are you looking to have? Even if you don't want to get into all that here, you'd best figure it out for yourself. Like I said, it'll probably help you plan and execute a funner trip.
chris_mcmartin

Re: arizona herping

Post by chris_mcmartin »

SWCHR featured an article addressing AZ herping regs last year, written by AZ native Diego Ortiz. If you send an email to info(at)southwesternherp.com I can send the Bulletin issue in question to you.

Chris