Post by Silence Dogood »

Gold Dust Day Geckos were everywhere
Saw lots of Green Sea Turtles too!
Saw a couple of Green Anoles, this one wanted to play golf with us
Saw alot of Greenhouse frogs in one location
A few Cane Toads decided to stop by too
Metallic Skink
The Target Species!!!
This is where I need the help on the Gecko species. Thanks for any help!!!

Thanks again for any help!
Jimi

Re: Big Island Hawaii Herping...Need some help on species fo

Post by Jimi »

Looks like a nice trip. I gotta take my wife there...she loves the turtles, and that's a great spot to see them!

Anyway, the geckos. There was a good treatment of the shifting makeup of Florida's commensal gecko community here: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=12818.

Obviously a different part of the world, but the commensal geckos really get around - I'd be surprised if you didn't get something out of Jake's post. I think you might also have a mourning gecko in there (last one), and a mutilating gecko (2nd to last, in major skin-regen mode). I'm pretty crappy - no, seriously crappy! - at these guys, so don't give me too much credence.

cheers
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Thanks for the response. I am glad someone responded. I figured I would get more responses by now. From what I have been told, the same gecko (ex: Common day gecko) can have many variation in pattern which makes it so hard to know which one is which since a lot of the geckos look similar. And I've only been around them for a week and am not getting used to seeing them all the time. I figured I may have a combination of house, mourning, 4 clawed, indo pacific ??? idk though.

Thanks for the link. I will take a look at that. Really appreciate it.

I have been to Maui, Kauai, and the big island...And you can find turtles on any of the islands fairly easy, but you're right; the big island- They were everywhere. It was crazy! If you get the chance, Definitely check it out. If you do go, let me know and I can give you some places to find different stuff if you would like.
Thanks Again!
Jimi wrote:Looks like a nice trip. I gotta take my wife there...she loves the turtles, and that's a great spot to see them!

Anyway, the geckos. There was a good treatment of the shifting makeup of Florida's commensal gecko community here: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=12818.

Obviously a different part of the world, but the commensal geckos really get around - I'd be surprised if you didn't get something out of Jake's post. I think you might also have a mourning gecko in there (last one), and a mutilating gecko (2nd to last, in major skin-regen mode). I'm pretty crappy - no, seriously crappy! - at these guys, so don't give me too much credence.

cheers
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Yup, just went to Maui last month. It was a really nice trip and the turtles!! There were soooo many turtles! If you ever want to snorkel with turtles, Hawaii is the place!!!
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I figured I would get more responses by now
Yeah, it's pretty quiet nowadays on FHF - too bad. Plus, the commensal geckos are 1) hard, and 2) banal, and 3) lacking red coloration (ha ha). Not many people are very interested in them.

Here's a slightly more technical resource, also from FL so missing some potential Hawaiian residents but definitely including some known residents: http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/invaderu ... ckoKey.pdf

I've been to Oahu a number of times, mainly in the 90's and not since about 2004, but never any of the other islands. Green turtles there, back then, were a not-so-routine treat. Not rare, but certainly not "everywhere, all the time". They have been recovering wonderfully. The only place I've seen loads of turtles like you did, was in the Galapagos. ("Good life" tip - start saving up RIGHT NOW!!! for your Galapagos trip)

cheers
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Jimi wrote:Green turtles there, back then, were a not-so-routine treat. Not rare, but certainly not "everywhere, all the time". They have been recovering wonderfully. The only place I've seen loads of turtles like you did, was in the Galapagos.
I have yet to get to Galapagos (bucket list) but the only other place I've been where sea turtles were aplenty was Cancun. But still, nothing compared to Maui. There were so many, and they were just about everywhere up the coast. Here's some crappy video I took while snorkeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2GRhwGlMu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR09UKcdkwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-sMKZng3s&t=4s
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Lol. Yeah, I pretty much enjoy seeing any herp no matter how "appealing" they are. I just would like to know what the heck I was looking at :P
The link didn't work for me :(

Yeah, I've heard the galapagos is a bucket list place for sure. I would like to try costa rica sometime too!
Jimi wrote:
I figured I would get more responses by now
Yeah, it's pretty quiet nowadays on FHF - too bad. Plus, the commensal geckos are 1) hard, and 2) banal, and 3) lacking red coloration (ha ha). Not many people are very interested in them.

Here's a slightly more technical resource, also from FL so missing some potential Hawaiian residents but definitely including some known residents: http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/invaderu ... ckoKey.pdf

I've been to Oahu a number of times, mainly in the 90's and not since about 2004, but never any of the other islands. Green turtles there, back then, were a not-so-routine treat. Not rare, but certainly not "everywhere, all the time". They have been recovering wonderfully. The only place I've seen loads of turtles like you did, was in the Galapagos. ("Good life" tip - start saving up RIGHT NOW!!! for your Galapagos trip)

cheers
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Totally agree. I never got tired of seeing another turtle. They are such a cool animal!
RenoBart wrote:Yup, just went to Maui last month. It was a really nice trip and the turtles!! There were soooo many turtles! If you ever want to snorkel with turtles, Hawaii is the place!!!