Baby Season...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MSD

Baby Season...

Post by MSD »

Neighbor kids brought this over for me to take a look at. They caught it well wrapped up in a Black Widows web in a drain hole, with the Mrs. persent. The kids had been handling it for ~30 min, so we were pretty sure she never bit it. Probably saved it from being dinner.

I *think* a baby San Diego Goghersnake, but... the color and back pattern look a little off, so to the experts here, what is it?

huck

Re: Baby Season...

Post by huck »

That is a San Diego nightsnake ( H. O. klauberi). Super cool snake.
MSD

Post by MSD »

huck wrote:That is a San Diego nightsnake ( H. O. klauberi). Super cool snake.
Very cool! Looked it up on California Herps and it is obvious, once you know what you're lookiing at. First one of those we've seen in this area. Another I can add to my list.

Thanks!
Jeremy Wright

Post by Jeremy Wright »

MSD wrote:
Very cool! Looked it up on California Herps and it is obvious, once you know what you're lookiing at. First one of those we've seen in this area. Another I can add to my list.

Thanks!
Very cool find. Also, that looks like a decent sized night snake. Normally they are very small nocturnal and subterranean snakes.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Jeremy Wright wrote:
MSD wrote:

Thanks!
Very cool find. Also, that looks like a decent sized night snake. Normally they are very small nocturnal and subterranean snakes.
It was but 7 or 8 inches long. The holder in the pics is 10 and on the slim side.