Photos of some recent sick herps

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

huck

Photos of some recent sick herps

Post by huck »

Hey guys! I have been herping a lot recently, and it is time for a new post with some pictures. So to kick it off, a few weeks ago my family and I visited Cabo San Lucas for vacation. The first (unexciting) herp that I found was this common house gecko at the hotel.
After the geckos, I found prevalent cape spiny tail iguanas that littered the beach landscape.
On the last day, I hiked along the edge of a dirty lagoon in San Jose del Cabo. About ten feet from the waters edge were houses and an active street, and a well trodden path weaved its way just a few feet from the lagoon. However, at the waters edge, there was about a foot-wide zone of watercress stretching about ten feet along the edge, and poking it's way through that was this beautiful cape gopher.

Two weekends ago, I visited my grandparents in Morro Bay, and under a log I found this beautiful Monterey ring-neck.

Last Thursday, I took an evening hike in the hills of Topanga, and hiked this beautiful lifer coast patchnose.

For the last few days I have been spending time in Jtree for a rock-climbing trip, and found this adorable desert horned lizard.
Near my campsite, there were loads of boulders, and all around them were these plentiful chuckwallas.
Surprisingly, only a few days after I hiked my lifer coast patchnose, I hiked this beautiful lifer desert patchnose in the middle of the day near hidden valley. I was shocked.
Yesterday afternoon, I went out road cruising for an hour after sunset, but struck out and only found DORs. Still, the sunset was beautiful.
I took an early morning hike this morning, and found this gambel's quail.
Shortly after, I hiked this speck.
On this hike, near Twenty-Nine Palms, I found an array of 5 coast horned lizards, which was interesting.
the camouflage was incredible.
At the end of the hike, I hiked this sweet spiny lizard.
That;s it, folks! To be continued...
Jeremy Wright

Re: Photos of some recent sick herps

Post by Jeremy Wright »

Awesome finds and shots Huck! Great horned lizards too, always a blast to see those guys. Let's get out soon!
Jeremy
huck

Post by huck »

Jeremy Wright wrote:Awesome finds and shots Huck! Great horned lizards too, always a blast to see those guys. Let's get out soon!
Jeremy
totally Jeremy!
craigb

Post by craigb »

Huck, you are right on ...
That purple tongue on the speck is really "sick"!

It probably took patience to get that shot.

Excellent stuff :D
huck

Post by huck »

craigb wrote:Huck, you are right on ...
That purple tongue on the speck is really "sick"!

It probably took patience to get that shot.

Excellent stuff :D
Thanks Craig!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Alright, I'm done with that medallion shit...lol It seems (to me) to have morphed itself into a display of overbearing obnoxiousness and elite infliction. Anyway, I don't like it aymore :lol:

Awesome Chuck! The speckled colors on that guy are really cool :thumb:
huck

Post by huck »

Porter wrote:
Awesome Chuck! The speckled colors on that guy are really cool :thumb:
Thanks!
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

...those herps don't look sick to me, great shots too. I hope you're feeling better. "Things that make you go hmmmm"
huck

Post by huck »

Fieldnotes wrote:...those herps don't look sick to me, great shots too. I hope you're feeling better. "Things that make you go hmmmm"
Thats hilarious
Porter

Post by Porter »

CONFUSED READERS NOTICE OF CLARIFICATION:

Sick was a term I first heard while skateboarding back in the late 80's or early 90's. Similar to, "that's bad" when seeing something really good/cool. I'm not sure where it originated, but I'm guessing it was either passed on at skate spots by older sk8ers and/or adopted by the youth from Thrasher magazine aka: the sk8ers bible. If you were a poor welfare kid who couldn't afford videos, Thasher was your source of new-trick-news and uprising underground sub-culture.

I know Will's just foolin' :lol: but I thought I'd chime in with some visual definition... here's Mike Carroll defining sick. Anyone can do a kickflip (trick), and you can do it perfectly flawless, but only the style in which it's done in, makes it sick. It's the artistic smoothness of the way Carroll does it, that gives it character. I remember one time I was skating by myself behind the Nugget market and this random skater a few years older than me, wearing headphones listening to a walkman skated up and ask me if I was Mike Carroll..lol I'm nowhere near as skilled as Carroll, but this guy was convinced I was him and challenged me to land everything from a heelflip to a shove-it late kickflip. Which I did lol Even, after I persisted I wasn't him, he insisted I was Mike Carroll just saying I wasn't Mike Carroll to avoid attention :lol: I guess I used to bite his style quite a bit... still, there could be no greater compliment. :mrgreen:

I'm 38 yrs old. Sick is something I've filtered out of my vocabulary as I've gotten older and matured, same as rap music, but I have to say... that Chuckwalla definitely looks sick ;)

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Thrasher? What a joke. That was a later, inferior mag compared to this....This was the first skateboarding magazine i ever bought, and it was my favorite title thru the 70s and early 80s. I still have these issues because Danny wasn't able to pry them away from me... :lol: No offense Porter...but these are the classics... ;)

Porter

Post by Porter »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Thrasher? What a joke. That was a later, inferior mag compared to this....This was the first skateboarding magazine i ever bought, and it was my favorite title thru the 70s and early 80s. I still have these issues because Danny wasn't able to pry them away from me... :lol: No offense Porter...but these are the classics... ;)
Pffffft... nice double-footed nose wheelie :lol: I thought all you guys wore helmets...??? ...until now :lol: nice Hair-met ;) VERY COOL! :thumb: Those are some classic vintage pieces of art right there! Capturing the essence and beginning of culture no longer bound to waves. I wish I still had some of my old Thrashers. Most of those ended up dismembered & duct taped to my bedroom walls :lol: They had great adds in those mags. One was the 3 stooges standing in golf suits, but the clups were replaced with homemade skateboards made from roller skate wheels and 2X6 :lol: ..and SKATE WITH YOUR FRIENDS written across the top. Greatest flippen pic.

This guy was the game changer...

Did you say something about, The Classics...? Most skaters these days have no idea how influencial this dude was... long live the Gonz :beer:

Porter

Post by Porter »

It was this!!!! Lol but much clearer and with the homemade boards. God, I fricken love that... man, damn

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
ramblon

Post by ramblon »

Beautiful Cape Gopher, did you get any full body shots?
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Thanks Porter, and oh yeah...very nice pics and finds Huck. How did your season go in that area we discussed?
huck

Post by huck »

ramblon wrote:Beautiful Cape Gopher, did you get any full body shots?
Yeah I got some full body shots. It was beautiful!
huck

Post by huck »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Thanks Porter, and oh yeah...very nice pics and finds Huck. How did your season go in that area we discussed?
Hello Brian! The season has gone by greatly. I have caught many snakes, plenty in spots I would have never expected them to be. I recently flipped a yellow-belly racer, and I was wondering if you still wanted to go to Topanga for the turtles. I have found many lifers this year, which has been great! Also, I flipped multitudes of kings, and I found one in some unusual chaparrals habitat by my house. San Diego has produced many stripers and we tried Orange for newport but only found rings. I'm trying to plan some more trips to the desert. How's it been?
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

huck wrote:
Brian Hubbs wrote:Thanks Porter, and oh yeah...very nice pics and finds Huck. How did your season go in that area we discussed?
Hello Brian! The season has gone by greatly. I have caught many snakes, plenty in spots I would have never expected them to be. I recently flipped a yellow-belly racer, and I was wondering if you still wanted to go to Topanga for the turtles. I have found many lifers this year, which has been great! Also, I flipped multitudes of kings, and I found one in some unusual chaparrals habitat by my house. San Diego has produced many stripers and we tried Orange for newport but only found rings. I'm trying to plan some more trips to the desert. How's it been?
I've been busy, busy, busy. I plan to be in your area around mid-June or so. Hopefully that won't be too late to see the turtles. E-mail me...
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

SICCCKKKK finds....

Really cool that you saw 5 Coast Horned lizards in JT,
I heard that the drought was tough on the populations out there.
BlackPearl

Post by BlackPearl »

Nice photos, Huck. Thanks for sharing. The Patchnose from the Santa Monica's is very cool. There have only been a small handful that have been documented there.
Nice work!
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Great finds, great pictures.