Rosy guy coming out of retirement - is it still too early?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

C-Rad

Rosy guy coming out of retirement - is it still too early?

Post by C-Rad »

Ten or twelve years ago I put in the field time and got good at finding rosy boas east of San Diego. Then I had kids and got busy doing other things. Now my two boys are seven and nine years old, and I've taken them out to my favorite old spot about five times in recent weeks, and not seen any rosys at all. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought I started seeing them around April first. Can any of you experienced rosy guys let me know what I'm doing wrong? Is it still just too early? Daytime highs are in the 70's and 80's, but it gets down to the 40's and 50's at night. We've been there late afternoon until after dark (80 degrees down to 60) but nothing. My spot burned about ten years ago, maybe it just hasn't recovered yet, but back in the day I often saw multiples, and rarely went more than a couple of times without seeing one. Also, it's been breezy most evenings that we've been there, so maybe that's it. I've considered scouting for unburned areas within a few miles, but I don't want to waste my time if it's just too early. Do mornings work better this early in the season? (I don't remember)

I guess I'm mainly asking if it's too early in the year (cold), or if the ten year old fire ruined my great spot (am I barking up the wrong juniper tree)

Thanks for any advice.
Brian Hubbs

Re: Rosy guy coming out of retirement - is it still too earl

Post by Brian Hubbs »

:?: I wonder?...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If you are flipping rocks to find them, then it's definitely too late sadly. However they can still be found visually if that's what you're thinking. They can be road cruised at night too right now. Hope that helps a bit!
Nicholas
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Your not doing anything wrong. You've just been away too long.. lol! Keep looking!
C-Rad

Post by C-Rad »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Brian, what do you wonder? PM me?

I've never rock flipped for rosys, the area I went to tended to just have them crawling around when conditions were right. I've been back a few times since I posted, and I thought it was always a little too cold, or hot, or dry, or windy. Not bad, but it just didn't feel like the planets were quite aligned. My boys (six and nine) saw their first snake there a couple of days ago (red diamond back) and that started to light their fire. I'm not seeing as much rodent activity as I remember, and I suspect that the fire that swept through there eight years ago, followed by the drought, may have killed off a lot of boas. I'm sure some are still there, but probably a lot fewer. I'm going again tonight. The humidity will be up, and the barometer falling, so maybe things will start happening if it's not too windy or cold. I'll let you know. Thanks again for the input.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

C-Rad wrote:[Brian, what do you wonder?
Warning: wondering about what Hubbs wonders may cause serious brain damage.
Translation: he's just pulling your leg. He's not too fond of people using a forum for what it's meant for = people sharing experience and knowledge. His problem.
C-Rad

Post by C-Rad »

I remember connecting with Brian on this (I think) forum back around 2006 when I first moved to San Diego and rekindled my childhood interest in field herping. He was very generous to answer my questions, which led to my first Mountain Kingsnake finds. I'm still grateful for that, and he can wonder about me if he wants to.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Double*
Porter

Post by Porter »

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Translation: he's just pulling your leg. He's not too fond of people using a forum for what it's meant for = people sharing experience and knowledge. His problem.
C-Rad wrote:I remember connecting with Brian on this (I think) forum back around 2006 when I first moved to San Diego and rekindled my childhood interest in field herping. He was very generous to answer my questions, which led to my first Mountain Kingsnake finds. I'm still grateful for that, and he can wonder about me if he wants to.

Brian ain't got shit on Porter 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
brain damage
Is that a typo for Brian damage...? :P

Imagex18 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex7 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex29 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex28 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex26 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex10 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex21 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex16 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex15 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex19 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex3 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex23 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex14 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex27 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex8 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex6 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex31 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagex2cc by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
Porter

Post by Porter »

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Jeroen, Jeroen, Jeroen...is it time for more Belgian jokes? :lol: There is a difference between sharing frog spots (Belgium) vs. sharing sensitive info about snake spots (U.S.). We actually have reptiles and habitat in this country, and when too much info is dispensed for free on the Internet it tends to ruin certain places for the enjoyment of others, the well being of the animals, and takes away the experience of figuring things out over time for the herper. No one appreciates being handed all the answers, because they didn't have to work for the info. This is an old discussion and topic. Those of us who have been in the field for 40 years understand the problem. You however, who live in a country that has little habitat or herps, cannot wrap your mind around it...
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

C-Rad wrote:I remember connecting with Brian on this (I think) forum back around 2006 when I first moved to San Diego and rekindled my childhood interest in field herping. He was very generous to answer my questions, which led to my first Mountain Kingsnake finds. I'm still grateful for that, and he can wonder about me if he wants to.
I don't wonder about you. I don't know you well enough to wonder about you. LOL I've just learned over the years that too much unearned info is not a good thing. I stopped sharing sensitive info, except in my books (which do not name specific localities) a long time ago. It's too bad that certain individuals have used this forum and other places on the Internet to gain knowledge that has led to over-collecting, habitat damage, illegal poaching, and the ruination of enjoyment for many other herpers. Jeroen doesn't see or understand that because he lives in a country that is more like a giant city than a nation. He's probably lucky to see frogs in Belgium.

Let me give you an example: A friend of mine in San Diego county decided to greatly expand the number of boards at one of our hillside locations. After he did that he began to take groups of friends, visiting herpers, and newby herpers to the location to show off all the Cal Kings that were under the boards. well, each of those people had to share the spot with other people too, and now you are lucky to see one kingsnake at the site, where in the past it was typical to find 15-20. What happened? Too many people going there too often and taking too many snakes. The spot is ruined. All because of sharing.

But, and this can be directed to people like our Belgian friend Jeroen, the only people who understand my point are those who have taken the time to set up their own boardlines, or found their own good rosy spots, mtn king spots, or whatever. Those people put in the time to educate themselves or to build a spot they could visit and find snakes at. Most people who have not done that do not appreciate the places, and do not respect the habitat, boards, or the animals. Why? Because they didn't have to do any work to enjoy the spot. Many of those herpers take too many animals, do not replace the rocks or boards correctly, hunt too early, and just generally ruin a good place to see herps. I'm tired of it. I do not play the share game anymore.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Brian has a strong point. Blackbellies for one have been extremely over-collected in Sacramento mud regions. Herpers from all around cleaned this place out (secret spot) and I was told by an old Hawk-guy who collects voles there, that he's seen a certain guy bringing new people there each year. They aren't as easy to find in the field nowadays and that makes people want to take them even more. This snake was my lifer aberrant. I've never held a more natural artistically beautiful snake in all my life. Felt great releasing back into the wild where it belongs...!

Only think that feels better than finding a rare beautiful creature, is knowing you did the right thing and let that magnificent beast be free...

Porter

Post by Porter »

I take it back... :lol: That was the 2nd most natural artistically beautiful snake I've ever found. It seems to be the first I think because I was going through some emotionally hard times right before finding the king, and the planets seemed to have aligned up just right for everything to fall into place, in perfect balance. This is my favorite find. Chain-link Basin Gopher. 2nd one I found (after a baby DOR on my first northern desert trip. This was my 4th trip, I think) and in a place I discovered on my own.

Here's a good tip for new herpers or really anyone who doesn't do this. This is something I chose to do on my own (my strategy. Not advised) so I could figure out the most about a habitat, in the least amount of time. My first trip was in March. The next year I went in April. Later that year when everyone was out in the monsoons, I thought hmmmm, if it works in AZ why not hear? No one does that here... so, I did a rain cruise (lifer rain harvesting striped-whip). Next year I went in May. Last trip was in June. Now I have a very good understanding of when each specie of lizards and snakes becomes active, for how long, and in which areas. On my first trip, I was given some very good and generous advice by a well respected Old timer-veteran herper... and I didn't find jack shit there :lol: :lol: :lol: He IS right, because I went back in other months and saw things he said were there. But, I basically had to resort to the things I taught myself by field time/experience as a lonely kid. Also, crazy as it may sound... I herp with karma. Everything I do in life is highly karma based and it does have something to do with beneficial results. It effects the intrivals of that perfect timing when you and the snake cross each others paths. Anyway that's my belief. Jedi to the fullest 8-)

..and, doesn't matter what anyone says, or at least this is my take, the knowledge IS transferable from one habitat to the next, one spot to the next. You just have to think how it's transferable. Figure out your hometown first. You can apply that in China and get the same results. I've done it and proved it! ..and to the a herper who hated me at the time, called my a fracking idiot several times, and said it couldn't be done, and I did it that same night! :lol: :mrgreen: :thumb: I can't help it... I fugging love that guy. Peace peeps, John Lennon out ;)

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Porter wrote:Brian has a strong point. Blackbellies for one have been extremely over-collected in Sacramento mud regions. Herpers from all around cleaned this place out (secret spot) and I was told by an old Hawk-guy who collects voles there, that he's seen a certain guy bringing new people there each year. They aren't as easy to find in the field nowadays and that makes people want to take them even more. This snake was my lifer aberrant. I've never held a more natural artistically beautiful snake in all my life. Felt great releasing back into the wild where it belongs...!

Only think that feels better than finding a rare beautiful creature, is knowing you did the right thing and let that magnificent beast be free...
Nice Delta aberrant Porter... :thumb:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Brian Hubbs wrote: Nice Delta aberrant Porter... :thumb:
Much obliged :beer:
Porter

Post by Porter »

I logged back in to post this vid. Even tho it's entitled Death Valley my girlfriend (at the time) and I weren't in Death Valley :lol: We were just near it. But to be honest, we were all over the damn place :lol: I drug her through a sand storm, her sitting in the van, me out herping (lifer striped uta, and lifer tiny baby coachwhip in that storm) and up and down 395 to randomly pulling over to places that looked good to me from a distance. Wasn't great, but it was pretty good for a first go around in the desert. 6 or 7 whiptails, a bunch of different colored & patterned utas, 2 coachwhip, two night lizards, found that damn webbed toed salamander habitat and can't remember where the hell I was, but I know they are there! little bastards.lol perfect water drizzle down the slope, cover rocks for breeding, crick running near the road and looks exact to Lyell habitat... :| I'll find it again someday :sleep: :mrgreen: first banded gecko flipped during the day and squeaking at me when I grabbed him, ect, ect... everything a lifer except the bullfrog. Nice looking bullfrog tho. All that stuff was found down near Death Valley on both west and east side of 395 and random roads. I scouted everything myself from just viewing habitat from the road and apply childhood knowledge. Didn't know scorpions were cannibalistic til then... :cry: :lol:

I paid my dues, in the worst conditions. Learn where to find gophersnakes in your home town, bluebellies, kings, ect... stand and just look at where you are. turn a 360 radius and study the earth. She'll tell you everything you need to know... (not directed at the author or anyone specific. Just addressing the subject)

-Porter

p.s. I still ain't found a mountain kingsnake tho :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't like those things :oops: :)

Jeroen Speybroeck

Brian Hubbs wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Jeroen, Jeroen, Jeroen...is it time for more Belgian jokes? :lol: There is a difference between sharing frog spots (Belgium) vs. sharing sensitive info about snake spots (U.S.). We actually have reptiles and habitat in this country, and when too much info is dispensed for free on the Internet it tends to ruin certain places for the enjoyment of others, the well being of the animals, and takes away the experience of figuring things out over time for the herper. No one appreciates being handed all the answers, because they didn't have to work for the info. This is an old discussion and topic. Those of us who have been in the field for 40 years understand the problem. You however, who live in a country that has little habitat or herps, cannot wrap your mind around it...
Aha, I was starting to become concerned, but there you are!

I can but hope that I am not as ignorant as you would like me to be. I understand a fair deal of what you’re saying.

I know, I know, we've been here before, but please endulge me once more...

* I think the OP as well as I did not say anything about sharing spots. I don't share sensitive spots anymore with people I don't personally know and trust, with reasons not unlike those you have. I won't blame you for forgetting that I mentioned this during earlier discussion already. You usually share little or nothing, and then intervene to make sharers feel bad or make the OP feel uncomfortable, I guess?

* I would imagine that as I live in a place with fewer herps than you, I’d rather be more protective about what’s left, not less? Your concern about spots (vs. populations, species) seems to demonstrate that you are worried about local, personal interests too, so don’t laugh at me for caring about my frogs!
Collecting is (basically) not allowed and far less popular in Europe. There has been a lot of discussion around here about the (limited!) impact of collecting. No need to go there again, as long as we admit that what happens at one site is not the end of a species. The arguments you raise are not key conservation issues. This is true in my cesspool part of the world (or hell hole, as POTUS would put it) and much more even so in the walhalla you claim to live in.

* I think that everyone has to decide what to share for themselves. It's also OK if you want to convince people not to share, sure. I admit it’s silly of me to tease you. You yourself can’t help teasing people who come to this (increasingly deserted, but great) forum with a (to their mind) harmless question, and there I go... :oops:
I think that what I made you write, helped them (or anyone) more than your initial cryptic reply. So I would like to ask: give the full explanation. Or don't give anything.

* Belgian jokes are made by and told by Belgians. I do, however, applaud any attempt.

* And, of course, it's all none of my business. Too bad this forum is public. :twisted: I promise I'll go back into cryo sleep now. ;)
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

You know I love you Jeroen, or I wouldn't even talk to you... :lol: BTW, I've been out of town for 3 weeks, hence my absence.

I also know you are not stupid. I guess my point is that too much info of any kind on a public forum is not good, whether exact locales are mentioned or not. Maybe I'm just getting too protective and bitter in my old age. Who knows? But, I do know this...the less I say about how to herp correctly and where to go, the better it is for certain species. Unless the area is targeted for development...then I don't care what anyone does. But I have been burned too many times by sharing.

Also, it was mentioned to me last night that the OP might actually be a very knowledgeable herper who is just trolling here for laughs. If that's true, I don't need to tell him anything anyway... :o
Porter

Post by Porter »

This post just needs some more music that I like... :lol: and I've got a loose thread-hanging relating excuse to do so 8-)

Jeroen Speybroeck

Brian Hubbs wrote:Also, it was mentioned to me last night that the OP might actually be a very knowledgeable herper who is just trolling here for laughs.
Now that would be a nice piece of satire.
;) :oops: :lol: