Borneo Toad ID

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rags

Borneo Toad ID

Post by Rags »

On a recent visit to Sarawak I managed to photograph a couple of small toads during a night walk at Borneo Highlands Resort. The forest in which they were found is around 1000 metres above sea level and situated on the border between Sarawak and Kalimantan.

I have initially identified them as Pelophryne signata - Lowland Dwarf Toad. However, they appear to be out of the range for this species and possibly higher than they should be. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Toad 1.

Toad 2.

Thanks for looking.
Rags

Re: Borneo Toad ID

Post by Rags »

Okay, whilst your looking...

Image[/url]

I had this amplectant pair down as Rhacophorus harrissoni - Brown Tree Frog.

Once again these were at around 1000 metres above sea level and outside their apparent range. Also this is a species that supposedly breeds in tree holes?
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Rags wrote: Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Well, for what its worth, I would agree with your ID on both counts. I'm starting to get a bit rusty with my Borneo herps. Its been a few years since I spent time there.

What range maps are you looking at? I often look at IUCN's they're good but most are approximate & not entirely up to date I bet that is the case for most of the ones out there. Although its entirely possible you could have a range extension.
Rags

Post by Rags »

Thanks Antonsrkn.

I have been looking at the IUCN maps on their Red List. I understand some of the species information is out of date. Range wise, it does seem the most specific source available.

I'm happy that I have at least got the ID's correct...