Photos from Manu, Peru

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tremarctos

Photos from Manu, Peru

Post by Tremarctos »

I spent a couple weeks exploring the lowlands of Manu, Peru last summer. This was my second trip to the region, so I spent my time in areas with lower hunting pressure (read: more expensive) that would afford me a better chance of seeing some rare mammals. This didn't pan out, but I had an amazing encounter with a Jaguar that walked right up to me on a trail at 3:00 AM. My primary goal on this trip was to observe mammals and birds, but I also saw several interesting reptiles and amphibians. Partly because of those observations, I've decided that I will devote more time in my future trips to searching for herps. My herp photos are below, but photos of other taxa are on my website http://www.tremarctos.com/category/peru/manu/. Logistical information is included in my trip report at http://www.tremarctos.com/wp-content/up ... 3/Manu.pdf.

On my first night at Casa Matsiguenka in the Manu Reserve Zone, this 1.5 meter Bushmaster was resting in the middle of the short path between my room and the kitchen... it's a good thing I was paying attention to where I stepped. It eventually moved into the forest, and I was able to go to dinner after getting some close views and photos. Apparently this was quite a rare sighting - all the lodge staff wanted to see my photos, and guides that arrived several days later had heard about it.

I know many people who visit the Amazon to look for herps put the Bushmaster as their top target, but I hope to never get this close to one again. The genus name - Lachesis (the Greek fate who measures the thread of life) - is well-given.

Mussurana

Amazon Tree Boa (Corallus hortulanus)

Smooth-fronted Dwarf Caiman (Paleosuchus trigonatus)

White Caiman (Caiman crocodilus)

Amazon Green Anole (Anolis punctatus)

Yellow-footed Tortoise (Chelonoidis denticulata)

Yellow-spotted River Turtle (Podocnemis unifilis)

Rusty Treefrog (Hypsiboas boans). I went to Manu during the driest time of the year, and it only rained on one night in two weeks. As such, I did not see many treefrogs. I hope to return during a wetter time of year.

Phyllomedusa camba

Brilliant-Thighed Poison Frog (Allobates femoralis)
Kfen

Re: Photos from Manu, Peru

Post by Kfen »

Looks like a great trip with great finds. The write up on your website is extremely informative. I hope to visit that part of the world in the next couple of years so I will definitely revisit your info when the time comes. Thanks for sharing