name of a herping tool

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kanishkauku

name of a herping tool

Post by kanishkauku »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the name of the tool herpers use to overturn small rocks and logs in the field. It's something like a hybrid between a snake hook and a rake with three hooks.

cheers!
Mark Brown

Re: name of a herping tool

Post by Mark Brown »

That would be a potato hook - you can Google it to make sure but it sure sounds like that's what you're referring to.
kanishkauku

Post by kanishkauku »

Thanks Mark for your quick reply. One of my friends gifted one of these to me and I recently lost it. I'm looking for a new one to buy. Is there a specific company that makes them for herpetologists or do you know any place I can by them?
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Potato rakes can be found with the garden tools at home improvement centers.
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

I have a couple of these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bond-Manufac ... DII_qqzmo4

-nightdriver
kanishkauku

Post by kanishkauku »

Thanks guys for your replies. With your insights, I was able to locate what I was looking for. This what I have been looking for: https://www.amazon.com/Corona-GT-3090-E ... FTFQ7E3V39
chrish

Post by chrish »

This one looks useful as well - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bond-Manufac ... ethod=p13n

Of course, I have hands. :lol:
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

There's a really good joke there....but I'll refrain.... :P
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

If you need or want something a little more heavy duty, look up hookaroons and pickaroons.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I would buy the potato rake (4-pronged cultivator) from Sears. They are guaranteed for life. I'm on my 8th free potato rake since 1987. Sure, you can save $5 by buying it somewhere else, but when it breaks...and it WILL break... you will have buy a new one.
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

While we are on the topic of herping tools, there was a video posted on here some years ago about California Mountain Kingsnake research. I can't remember where it was posted or who posted it, Hubbs, I bet you remember, it might have been Gary Nafis out doing some field work, maybe?? Anyway, whoever it was in the video was taking tail snips and in the video he used a set of interesting tongs to extract snakes from the crevices of rocks. I have been looking for a similar tool FOR YEARS and I cannot find any type of long, soft tipped hemostats that look like this tool.

Does anyone recall the video or know the tool?

Thanks - Bart
yoloherper

Post by yoloherper »

Bart, the video was of Rick Staub and was made by FHF's admin Scott Waters. I know that it used to be on Vimeo, but I did a quick search and didn't turn it up so not sure if it's still there. You could try messaging Scott, who might know or be able to find out where Rick got the forceps. I was always interested in them, but never looked into finding out where to buy a pair. Let me know if you end up finding out where to get them!
-Elliot
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

yoloherper wrote:Bart, the video was of Rick Staub and was made by FHF's admin Scott Waters. I know that it used to be on Vimeo, but I did a quick search and didn't turn it up so not sure if it's still there. You could try messaging Scott, who might know or be able to find out where Rick got the forceps. I was always interested in them, but never looked into finding out where to buy a pair. Let me know if you end up finding out where to get them!
-Elliot
Elliot! Yes, that was the video and you're right, it seems the video is gone! I will message Scott and see if he replies.

Thanks,

Bart
Of course..But maybe

Post by Of course..But maybe »

Try looking up alligator forceps or soft tissue forcep.
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Of course..But maybe wrote:Try looking up alligator forceps or soft tissue forcep.
Thanks, yeah, seen lots of stuff like that. I actually ordered something off eBay that might work...we'll see!

Bart
Of course..But maybe

Post by Of course..But maybe »

Please post up a link!! I would like to get something like that.
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

This is what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252492499770?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Have not gotten it yet. Hopefully you can control the tightness of the grip and hopefully it is narrow enough to work. I figured for the $15 it would be worth a try.

We'll see.

Bart
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

So, just a quick update, I got the aquarium tongs in the mail yesterday. They are the right size (nice and long, and narrow) and the jaws most definitely seem gentle enough for snake grabbing. The only drawback I see is the tool is not very stout, as it is made from thin plastic and could easily be broken, so carrying it in the field will be interesting. I should be able to strap it to my backpack and keep it from being snapped. Hopefully I will get a chance to use them this spring.

Bart