2017 California Chapter Nominations Time- Do we Continue?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fundad

2017 California Chapter Nominations Time- Do we Continue?

Post by Fundad »

Hi All,

2017 Nominations have to be had or NAFHA will have to close shop.

We have no structure anymore.

We have NO IC.
No DC

If Chapters cant keep Presidents and IB Members if chapters, there will be no NAFHA.

Is it time to Close UP shop, forums, and chapters? Or Do we want to continue?

Yours Truly
Brian Hinds
California Chapter President.
Biker Dave

Re: 2017 California Chapter Nominations Time- Do we Continue

Post by Biker Dave »

Or has the operation just relocated to another platform such as Facebook?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'm bout over FB... hope we can continue here, with those who still come here.
edit... didn't realize this was AZ... thought it was Ca
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

I'm not sure how the other chapter forums are doing, but the AZ Chapter has had less than 30 new threads since the last election. It's definitely not looking good right now. If we don't get the required officers then I think it might be time to do away with the chapter(s) and just keep the main forum, or perhaps consolidate the AZ Chapter into another one.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

This chapter has gone through this before. Terry Cox and I tried to keep it going the best we could a few years back. We wanted to keep Arizona as a separate chapter as our situation is so much different than the other chapters (#of/type of species, etc).

However as technology is constantly changing, the "forum" structure for a group is fast going the way of the Radio Shack TRS 80. Everything is either Twitter or Facebook. Hell, even HerpNation magazine has gone completely digital!

Perhaps instead of "closing shop" maybe the organization needs to relocate the shop instead. Move to a platform that is more mobile friendly than the forum.

That''s my two cents....
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

I agree with Dave!
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Facebook is certainly an easier place for people to "pop in" and post a photo and quick comment, but in my view, it totally lacks continuity. If people just want a place to show off their photos or make casual comments, then FB is the place to do it, but it's a difficult format in which to carry on a serious conversation.

One of the values of FHF and these NAFHA forums in particular, is what we can learn and have learned from one another by engaging in conversations and being able to stay on topic. I think that if we continue to use these forums for the purpose of conversation, many of the people who once were part of those conversations in the past, will return. FHF and FB are very different types of media platforms, and one cannot totally replace the other.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Whie I respect Steve's opinion, with good mods and ground rules a FB group can have very deep conversations about things.
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

I don't doubt what you're saying Dave, as I'm a total FB novice and don't know how to navigate the system. I've totally avoided Facebook until just recently. I decided to re-open an account that I closed years ago so I could view some of the stuff my friends have been emailing links to lately. Not sure that was such a good idea! :lol:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

It is what you make of it. Put in a "membership" request to the Herping Arizona group I moderate. After I "accept" you take a look around and see that not all of FB is personal attacks and stupidity.
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

I love this forum! What I love about it, is that it is easily searchable in places like Google, and the threads last rather than disappear into the depths of Facebook land. There isn't (as much) redundancy in the newbie questions because the information is readily accessible via google search. There is definitely a place for forums, and you can see that in a broad range of subjects (i.e. cars, etc.). I have been able to meet and communicate (recently) with people here on this forum that I would never have met on Facebook. I also know that herpers that were once active on the forum still check it once in a while, it just a matter of participation.

Considering the nature of our audience here, I feel that activity and participation would increase if it was easier to upload photos! There have been times I have wanted to post something but never got around to it because of the time commitment that goes with getting an URL, getting it in the right format, and crossing my fingers in hoping it works. The EOY report I recently posted here took me about an hour to post. Heck, changing my profile photo is such a hassle I don't even bother! Is there a way to update the system a little bit?

I'm not knocking on Facebook, and I think people like Dave are rocking it on there, I just see the forum being a great resource.

My two cents

Jeff :beer:
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

A great example of how the forum is a great resource! Rye Jones put this up here in the RMC

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =9&t=23952

And a great educational discussion on habitat from years ago (that I searched on google)

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =9&t=13862

This is widely searchable, has quantity, and you don't have to have a FB account to see it