Herp Photography 2016 - 3/3

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

Herp Photography 2016 - 3/3

Post by Porter »

ImageSunset Mellows by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOrange Drop Sunset by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageMarbled Sunset by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSunrise Gopher3 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSunrise gopher1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSunrise Gopher2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imageobscure gopher1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageLittle Worm by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageMoonsnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageMoon Snakes by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageTaillight snakes by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageTaillight snakes by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageLight Snakes by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imageblue spider by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGiant Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGiant Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageWestern Toad - Yolo by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagenightsnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGreat Basin Gopher Snake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGreat Basin Gopher Snake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDOR chain-link by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagebasin gopher by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagebasin gopher1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagesidewinder by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagedunes a by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagesaltcreek rd by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepup hab4b by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepup hab3g by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepup habitat by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepup hab2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepup hab1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepupfish2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepupfish1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepupfish by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDeath Valley Sea Level by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageJackass exposure fade exposure by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageInkspot Spiny by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImagecollardDSC_0986 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImagecollardDSC_0995 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImagecollardDSC_0996 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagecollard DSC_0998 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagecollad DSC_0999 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDesert Beauty by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDesert Beauty by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageHT art by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSouthern Desert Horned Lizard by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSouthern Desert Horned Lizard by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagecollard liz1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagecollard liz by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageHTas BEST by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImagePanamint Rattlesnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImagePanamint Rattlesnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSidewinder Slither by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageHidden Paiute Cave Entrance by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageEvery Rose Has Its Thorn by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGravid Zebra-tailed Lizard Insitu by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGravid Zebra-tailed Lizard Insitu by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGB Road Shine Insitu by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageThe Long and Winding Road by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageScenic Retrospect by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSnowy Sierra by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSnowy Mountain by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOn Down the Road by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
Carl Brune

Re: Herp Photography 2016 - 3/3

Post by Carl Brune »

I really enjoyed your three posts. Especially the lizards in this one. And the castle at the end of the winding road.
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Very nice!
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Very nice. You are clearly developing a vision that is your own. Bravo!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Carl Brune wrote:I really enjoyed your three posts. Especially the lizards in this one. And the castle at the end of the winding road.
Thanks. The lizards were fun. That first female Collard was my lifer and an in situ which was super cool. I was slowly walking up to her, taking shots as I went and she took a couple of scatter reposition hops, jumped up on that rock, turned a 180, then stopped in that perfect pose. So rad! That's definitely the most unrealistic looking perfect in situ I've ever shot. Only thing is the color is awful because of the position to the sun. So, I slowly tried to circle around to the other side to get a colored shot with sun at my back, shooting as I changed position, and she jumped down. I never touched her. Best experience all year. Good phot + lifer +in situ. The male I hand caught after it ran under a flippable rock that it was basking on.

The castle is from Edward Sissorhands.

Thanks for the comments guys :beer: I did try to develop a new style here. I was pretty stoked on it. This is the end for me though. My last year doing field herping. I'd like to see a more artistic approach to field herp photog. I hope to inspire that with this and see the other photographers take it to the next level. I won't be commenting or posting to the forum anymore but I will probably check things out from time to time

One thing that was inspired by another photographer, Nick Hess, was this Toad photo. I've seen other photographers do stuff like this and Nick posted a gecko beneath a sunset last year I think. It reminded me I wanted to do one. I actually did this in paint rather than photoshop because I got a more blended natural look that way. That photoshop magic wand lasso tool wasn't working for me. So, I basically copy and pasted the liz over the clear plant photo, extending the depth of field. cutting through the blurry part of the rock made an easy area for an unnoticeable blend with the photoshop blend tool. I did one more for my bird post too. If you follow the links in this post (and part 1 and 2) to the bird portion, you'll see I did a similar edit with 3 shots of a kingbird flying away. The cliff swallows in flight was a shot that wasn't tampered with in this way, but inspired the kingbird edit. Kind of like a skateboard trick muti-shot from Thasher magazine I used to read when I was a kid.

ImageDSC_0905as by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

True art - the whole series. I especially liked the speckled eye ball in this one.
York
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

I love the personal nature of your photos and the diversity of habitats that you covered.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Y.Morgan wrote:True art - the whole series. I especially liked the speckled eye ball in this one.
York
Cool :thumb: Just a heads up to new photographers out there... I had a homemade cardboard hand encasement that fit over the lens to keep myself safe from getting bit while photographing that close. Somebody ought to design something like that ;)

NACairns wrote:I love the personal nature of your photos and the diversity of habitats that you covered.
Thanks, I love the northern desert. the smell of that sage is a home away from home. I was gonna try to make it up the coast to the northen part of the state this year for a North Western Salamander, but I don't the money or a reliable vehicle. I rented a SUV for the desert trip. Not only that but I'm having a serious health issue with my right leg. I tore my adductor muscle at work. so I can't drive far without cruise control. My truck doesn't have it. Can't hike or walk far either :?
Porter

Post by Porter »

Speaking of habitat diversity... I went and saw the lava beds above Bishop this year for the first time. (Really cool coachwhips out there! :shock: Blueish grey) Does anyone notice what's going on in that Hidden Paiute Cave Entrance shot?