Locality Bull Snake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jerry Hartley

Locality Bull Snake

Post by Jerry Hartley »

Hey guys, for obvious reasons, I wanna know if anybody has seen Bulls in Hartley County Texas. I want to collect a pair in or near the town of Hartley TX. I know it sounds narcissistic, but I just thought it would be a cool addition to my locality Bull collection. I stumbled on to it while looking up Andrews County Texas. Anybody see them there?
Soopaman

Re: Locality Bull Snake

Post by Soopaman »

It's a common snake, I don't see why you couldn't find them off 998 west of town. That rocky ridge looks like it would have lots of rocks to flip.
travesty

Post by travesty »

Forgive my naivety; why do you want to collect a pair from Hartley specifically if you haven't seen them there?
What makes them so cool?
rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

travesty wrote:Forgive my naivety; why do you want to collect a pair from Hartley specifically if you haven't seen them there?
What makes them so cool?
Note the OP's name.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

for obvious reasons
Eh, not so much I guess.
I know it sounds narcissistic
Not especially. A mere venial sin, regardless. Let's see the pics once your mission is completed.
Note the OP's name.
:idea: There it is!
travesty

Post by travesty »

Oh. :lol: Alright, I guess there's a little bit of novelty there.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

By strange coincidence I traveled through that country a month ago for the first time in my life, in a general trajectory from Louisiana to Oregon. Timing from Baton Rouge had me in Hartley County just after dark, with lightning flashes to the the west. I saw one snake, several miles to the east of Hartley itself, but my flashlight revealed it to be a Prairie Rattler. No bulls I'm afraid, but on the return ten days later I passed through Hartley at dawn and saw that the area was high plains marked by big, circular plots of irrigated alfalfa, i.e., ideal for bull snakes. The next morning I did see a fresh roadkill bull in adjacent Colorado, but that had nothing to do with Hartley County, nor does anything else regarding my travels,

Jeff
chrish

Post by chrish »

Late to the discussion, but finding a Bullsnake in that part of the panhandle would be almost unavoidable if you put any time into it at a reasonable time of year. They are pretty common animals in that part of the state.