Mummified Frog In Box Of Pasta. Buon Gusto!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

klawnskale

Mummified Frog In Box Of Pasta. Buon Gusto!

Post by klawnskale »

Why don't I ever get boxes of pasta containing what looks like a mummified anuran? Any takers here for an ID? If it helps, Barilla is NOT a European product. It is manufactured and packaged here in the U.S. I don't think it is a frog, though. Looks like a toadlet. Possibly red spotted?

http://www.fox9.com/news/57681673-story
simus343

Re: Mummified Frog In Box Of Pasta. Buon Gusto!

Post by simus343 »

Even though dehydrated, I can still see pattern on the skin and I'd say it looks like an American or Southern toad. They have little red "warts" all over time which remain when they dessicate. Based on the size of the size of the pasta type, when I get that shape, the "noodles" are about 1.5-2in. long so I'm going to say the toad is about that size. My guess is an adult Anaxyrus americanus or Anaxyrus terrestris got in with the pasta and died. I recall reading a story a few years ago where someone in the Northeast got a living Green Tree Frog in their bag of lettuce haha.
justinm

Post by justinm »

A. americanus. The spikes on the thighs are the key identifier.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Both of you are probably right. I checked online and they have plants in Ames, Iowa and Avon, New York. Most likely Anaxyrus americanus.
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

Seems more likely that said desiccated frog/toad died in their home next to or on top of their box of pasta. Or perhaps crawled into the box after it was opened and then died.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I think the woman just bought the wrong box. That pasta was clearly designed for Heterodon shoppers. :lol:
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Noah M wrote:I think the woman just bought the wrong box. That pasta was clearly designed for Heterodon shoppers. :lol:
Then she would have a happier Heterodon if she bought this:

simus343

Post by simus343 »

Noah M wrote:I think the woman just bought the wrong box. That pasta was clearly designed for Heterodon shoppers. :lol:
I need to hit up the packing company and order a pallet of that stuff! haha :lol: