Excellent weekend

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Travistodd91

Excellent weekend

Post by Travistodd91 »

So I found my lifer fl kingsnakeImage as well as some other beautiful snakes garters everglades rats and a 5'3 yellow rat !! Scarlet King here I come !!! But what I wanted to share more than anything is that I did it with the help of this forum I had never hunted a cane field before reading up on it here all snakes were released but I only could get a picture of the king because my phone died
double d

Re: Excellent weekend

Post by double d »

Awesome find , was it on the move or under a.c.? Congrats !!
Travistodd91

Post by Travistodd91 »

Under a mattress ! Haha i have always wanted to find one and I spent all Saturday evening flipping and road cruising through the cane fields but no kings so I go back Sunday and this time my girlfriend says I want to help you look so as soon as we get there she gets out and says hey why don't you check under that mattress and there he sat bedding down for the night I guess my girlfriend will never let me forget she was the one who found it haha
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Cool find man. Need to get one myself, just haven't been down to look.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Congrats on the find! I'm not too knowledgeable on Kingsnakes in FL - is that the same as a Brook's Kingsnake?
Travistodd91

Post by Travistodd91 »

I wish someone else would chime in but I believe yes they are a subspecies but I could be wrong
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Congrats on your find and congrats on exploring the cane fields. They've been a boom to some species and an environmental catastrophe for others.

If you were up by the lake, the king is the "traditional" Florida King. (Very young "traditional" Florida Kings are hard to tell from Miami-Dade "Brook's" till they mature.)

As far as being subspecies any more, this will be the subject of much discussion in the next few years!!!
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

From my understanding they are all lumped together as Florida kings. It doesn't matter what the band count is any more.

Hearty congrats on your first!

Tim