Tree Frog ID

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jmacmetro

Tree Frog ID

Post by Jmacmetro »

ImagePseudacris streckeri illinoensis (possibly) by Jimmy Mac, on Flickr
Hi all, I have these tree frogs that have bred in a number of small ponds in the garden center that I work at in NE New Jersey. I am trying to identify if they are a native species and can be released in local areas. I do have other pictures of the almost frog tadpoles if that would be helpful. Thanks,
Jimmy
pete

Re: Tree Frog ID

Post by pete »

It looks like a pacific tree frog pseudacris regilla. They show up in plant shipments from norcal and Oregon. Cool that they are breeding there! Don't release them elsewhere please!
Jmacmetro

Post by Jmacmetro »

ok, thanks. We do get plants from both places.
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

If they are Pseduacris regilla, they are the frogs with the classic 'ribbit' call. Interesting that they are here and breeding.
Jmacmetro

Post by Jmacmetro »

Actually they don't have that call. It is more of a single rattle type call. Unusual. All of our water plants came from central Pa. and I felt that would be the most likely source. That's why I thought they may be a Northeast species.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Jmacmetro wrote:Actually they don't have that call. It is more of a single rattle type call. Unusual. All of our water plants came from central Pa. and I felt that would be the most likely source. That's why I thought they may be a Northeast species.
In that case, it's probably a feriarum or triseriata.
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Does the call sound like you are slowly running your fingernail up a comb (with an emphasis on the clicking sound)?
Jmacmetro

Post by Jmacmetro »

Ah ha, I listened to the sounds of both of those and it definitley sounds very close to a feriarum. That would make more sense than a western species. I think that's it. Thanks all. Thanks cbernz