Tadpole ID Request

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Tadpole ID Request

Post by Noah M »

I'm thinking pig frog, since so many were heard calling in the area.

BillMcGighan

Re: Tadpole ID Request

Post by BillMcGighan »

Quick glance looks piggy to me.

Online pdf can help:
http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/armi/Guide_t ... llPage.pdf
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

The head/rostrum shape make it look like a hylid to me. I don't know what species are in the area you are looking but I would guess a dark Hyla gratiosa. Was it a fishless wetland or pond? There's some decent H. gratiosa tadpole pictures here: https://fieldventures.wordpress.com/201 ... work-2014/
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Was it a fishless wetland or pond?
No, it was a lake with plenty of fish and other fun things to net.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Ahh. H. Cinerea then... They breed preferentially in fish dominated habitats. Possibly h squirella, but I doubt it.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Green tree frog, from Bill's link.

"A key feature for identification of this tadpole is a pale yellow stripe on either side of the head that stretches from the nostril to the eye."
Matt S.

Post by Matt S. »

I think it helps to look at the eyes first thing to separate the ranids from the hylids. The ranids will have dorsal eyes which do not change the outline of the head when viewed from above while they hylids (most anyway) will have lateral eyes. I think the only exception to this is the cricket frogs. You can see the eyes on this tadpole are pretty far to the side which made me think treefrog, along with the features previously mentioned.

It looks like you have this one nailed down well, thought this might help for future tadpoles. They really add an extra level of ID fun don't they.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Matt S. wrote:I think it helps to look at the eyes first thing to separate the ranids from the hylids. The ranids will have dorsal eyes which do not change the outline of the head when viewed from above while they hylids (most anyway) will have lateral eyes. I think the only exception to this is the cricket frogs. You can see the eyes on this tadpole are pretty far to the side which made me think treefrog, along with the features previously mentioned.

It looks like you have this one nailed down well, thought this might help for future tadpoles. They really add an extra level of ID fun don't they.
I never knew that about the eyes! But now that you've mentioned it, I see it. I've since realized I had a recent tadpole misidentified.