saw something. don't know what. no pic.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Helleri

saw something. don't know what. no pic.

Post by Helleri »

Was moving seasoned wood to a burn pile and decided to have a look under the ply board it was resting on once it was cleared. There were a lot of slenders (typical here). But, I also saw what looked like slender. But, it was orange and tiny (like half an inch and as thick as a pine needle). I got a piece of paper to pick it up on and get a better look. But, as soon as the paper touched it, the little guy went nuts. It flipped itself about an inch into the air wildly about 7-8 times. Until it's thrashing landed it on loose soil and scant ground cover which it quickly disappeared through.

Is it like a younger slender? Or another kind of salamander or newt?
JAMAUGHN

Re: saw something. don't know what. no pic.

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Sounds like a baby ensatina to me.

JimM
Helleri

Post by Helleri »

Well it had slender-like shape. I wish I had a pic to get an ID. There is a scrap wood pile next to the fresh stack though that I need to clear out. So maybe I'll get a real chance at a pick over the weekend.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Helleri wrote:Well it had slender-like shape. I wish I had a pic to get an ID. There is a scrap wood pile next to the fresh stack though that I need to clear out. So maybe I'll get a real chance at a pick over the weekend.
dude... phone pic... ALWAYS be prepared... snap any shot you can get First... then work on getting better pics. thought you were back in Reno???
Porter

Post by Porter »

It was a slender. They wig out like that if they are warmed up...lol there colors usually match things in their biom like rocks, soils, leaves, pine needles....Most herpes do. Good chance you're initial interpretation That it resembled a pine needles is because it was the exact same color and shade of the pine needles around him. This guy is a good example of how even pattern match identical...maybe one of the bay area guys can post a pic of what this guy blends into...pretty amazing.

ImageCalifornia Slender Salamander by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
Porter

Post by Porter »

He's literally wearing it on his back
Porter

Post by Porter »

The ones i find in el dorado county resemble the reddish orange clay in the dirt. Rarely seen, not like bay area...less common than a zonata, gigas, or morph king/gopher
Porter

Post by Porter »

this one was found under the same log with the first slender. resembles the sandy mud in that habitat... Same mud color sprinkled in sand glitter..lacking the needle leaf pattern

ImageCalifornia Slender Salamander by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr