Sceloporus sympatry

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kent VanSooy

Sceloporus sympatry

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Earlier this year on a trip to the mountains, I was surprised to see three species of Sceloporus all living together - graciosus, orcutti, and occidentalis. The elevation was about 6800', and it was the granite spiny that caught my attention, I don't remember seeing one that high before. Anyone else have this experience?

Fieldnotes

Re: Sceloporus sympatry

Post by Fieldnotes »

Personally I have not found them over 6,000 ft., but reliable reports have been emailed to me from over 7,000 ft. The highest so far has been 8740 ft. from a biologist working in the San Jacinto Mtns.
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

I'm pretty sure I've seen occidentalis, graciosus, and uniformis in the same area in Mono Co. It also wouldn't surprise me if there were areas where magister, occidentalis, and orcutti are found together. I think I've seen 3 species together in AZ as well, but it's been many, many years ago.

nightdriver
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

I've seen magister and orcutti within a couple miles of each other, but at different elevations in different habitats. What struck me about the guys I posted is that they were all living side-by-side. Thanks for the observations!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I seem to recall seeing both magister and orcutti at the kids day events we used to throw, and i'd imagine that occidentalis would be there as well, with sagebrush higher up... in fact... I believe that after the San Timetao 'outing'... Billboard and co posted bout getting the Sclop grand slam from the Jacintos.
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Hi Kent,

I think I saw all three species together on top of Hot Springs Mtn. at 6,550 feet elevation in San Diego County last weekend, but I didn't get a clear enough view of all of them to be sure.

Also, I was surprised to see a desert spiny lizard last year on S22 at Culp Valley where S. orcutti are very common. I figure that marks the western edge of their range in SD County.

Jeff