Wisconsin Massasauga or Timbers Tips

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

yank gooner

Wisconsin Massasauga or Timbers Tips

Post by yank gooner »

I've lived in Wisconsin for about 8 years now, but I've never seen either of these native snakes. Granted I have never really gone out to properly look for them, but I would like to change that. I'm not asking for any exact locations or anything like that, just a general idea of where I could go to find some for some cool pics (county, state parks, habitat, etc.). I fly fish often in the driftless area (southwest WI) and I know they are out there, but any tips would be awesome! Thanks!!
muskiemagnet

Re: Wisconsin Massasauga or Timbers Tips

Post by muskiemagnet »

my only advice is to learn as much about timbers/saugas as you can and then go out and look. if you are seeking dens as you should be i will not say anything. sorry, you are asking about a pretty sensitive topic, especially with SFD becoming a problem here in wisconsin. google maps can be your best friend once you learn what to look for.

good luck

-ben
yank gooner

Post by yank gooner »

muskiemagnet wrote:my only advice is to learn as much about timbers/saugas as you can and then go out and look. if you are seeking dens as you should be i will not say anything. sorry, you are asking about a pretty sensitive topic, especially with SFD becoming a problem here in wisconsin. google maps can be your best friend once you learn what to look for.

good luck

-ben

That was the approach I figured I would go with, and just hope I can make a few trips out in West Wisconsin to see what I can find. If anything it will just be good to get outside and get off the beaten path between fishing!

I know it's a real sensitive topic in general, but how has SFD made it more of a problem in regard to seeking them out? Potential for spreading? Just curious, I'm still rather ignorant to this disease right now.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

yes spreading disease but also just the fact of everyone knowing where dens are. a few bad apples can spoil the bunch.

10 to 1 bleach solution is encouraged on shoes and equipment all the time. between sites. not just the end of the day.

enjoy the driftless area. very pretty. and good luck with you search. certainly go seek. there is no point of conservation if no one wants to enjoy nature. just disinfect.

-ben
ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

The bleach suggestion is important. Spray boots before you start your hike and before you get back in your vehicle. Every single time. Make it a habit!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

A little late to the party here but I don't think you're gonna find saugas too easily, if you really want to see them i'd recommend going to a part of their range where they are more common, e.g. Michigan or Ontario. I'd question the wisdom of going to an area here in WI that has saugas, as far as I know there is only one stable population in the state and despite wanting to visit I have chosen to avoid going there just because I don't want to mess with/put any pressure on any of the animals in one of its last footholds in the state.

Timbers shouldn't be too hard if you do your research and go at the proper times of year. Good luck!