Invitation to join us in southern Nevada in April

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bob McKeever

Invitation to join us in southern Nevada in April

Post by Bob McKeever »

It’s likely that some of you have already seen Bryan Hamilton’s posts in the N.A.F.H.A Rocky Mountain, Arizona, & California Chapters about our April herp survey in southern Nevada’s Newberry Mountains. This post is to provide a little more info & to alert folks outside the three local regions. The survey is in Rocky Mt Chapter territory but is only a rifle-shot from Arizona and a howitzer-shot from California. As Bryan noted, we’ll begin assembling (without rifles & howitzers) and doing some surveying on Friday the 24th & survey in earnest on the 25th & 26th.

We’ve identified several field transect possibilities, associated with elevation change or micro-habitat, to document the occurrence of all herps encountered and provide a base-line for future efforts. Some of these are physically challenging, and all offer the possibility of adding species to the known fauna of the area. Both day and night road-cruising are scheduled as well. Along with the targeted field & road transects, there are opportunities for “free-lancing” involving the survey site and areas nearby.

Check out Bryan’s post in the Rocky Mt Chapter for the list of species so-far reported from the Newberry Mountains. Folks taking part also have the opportunity to contribute to other on-going studies such as Nevada state herpetologist Jason Jones’ work with the Gila Monster and the Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake.

The survey takes place adjacent to and within the Lake Mead National Recreation Area and signing up as a volunteer with the State of Nevada and with the National Park Service expands the opportunities available to herpers attending.

Access to the Newberry Mountains is via unpaved roads & primitive camping is available. For anyone not inclined to camp in the mountains, room rates in Laughlin, NV are pretty reasonable and only 15-20 minutes from the survey area. If interested and in need of more information, contact Jason via info supplied in Bryan’s post, or shoot me a PM.
s_stocking

Re: Invitation to join us in southern Nevada in April

Post by s_stocking »

Updated information for this event has been posted on Bryan Hamilton's post in the Rocky Mountain chapter page. If you plan on attending please PM vice Bob McKeever. Thanks-
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'd like to try to make it... last year was a blast. :thumb: jim
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

we'd love to see you again, Jim, you're a pretty spry old goat, ha ha ha - you're probably up for a good walk

I intend to participate, but may have to come early and leave early (family obligations in Redlands) - I'll work that out with organizers, subject to the terms of any group and/or individual permits we need to have

cheers,
Jimi
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Jimi wrote:we'd love to see you again, Jim, you're a pretty spry old goat, ha ha ha - you're probably up for a good walk
cheers,
Jimi
Oh I can walk... nightwalked 18 miles last year to see a rosy. :shock: Course... can't do nothing fancy like walk AND talk, or chew gum, or nothing... but i can walk... :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
JEDDLV

Post by JEDDLV »

Hey guys, looks like I may be able to get that weekend off to join you. Could you please pm me details, of schedule & where & when we would meet up.

Thank you
Kevin
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Turns out I got called in to work that weekend... so bummed... :( jim
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Hopefully there's an impending post on this event. It was pretty awesome!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Jimi wrote:Hopefully there's an impending post on this event. It was pretty awesome!
figures... :x :lol: :lol: :lol:
JEDDLV

Post by JEDDLV »

I was up there this past weekend & saw 2 specks at grapevine. Looking forward to seeing a post from you guys.