Found our first milksnake and copperhead this year!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gary2sons

Found our first milksnake and copperhead this year!

Post by Gary2sons »

April 9th we checked some of our tin and AC. Several smaller species found but always nice to find milks and copperheads. Hopefully we will have a normal Spring for a change.

This little juvenile milk had some blisters but overall looked good. Always exciting to find the first one each year!

The copperhead was one we have seen several times the last 2 or 3 years. Looked like he had just shed. It was under one of our best producing tins for copperheads. Just something about this particular tin that produces every year. Didn't try for better pics since we decided not to bother the snake any more than we had to.

Happy herping to all on the forum. Hope we all have a great year!

Gary
BillMcGighan

Re: Found our first milksnake and copperhead this year!

Post by BillMcGighan »

I've noticed from some of your old posts, Gary, that though Copperheads country wide are attractive, your area's Osage Copperheads I find especially nice.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

though Copperheads country wide are attractive, your area's Osage Copperheads I find especially nice
Hear, hear. I love the white outlines of the saddles. (I also appreciate the choice made in not bugging the animal for a "better pic" - that's a fine picture, that's what you actually see when you tin-flip a copper. We - or I, at least - don't need a pose-up job.)

cheers,
Jimi
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

BillMcGighan wrote:I've noticed from some of your old posts, Gary, that though Copperheads country wide are attractive, your
area's Osage Copperheads I find especially nice.
Thanks Bill! Good luck this year!
Jimi wrote:
though Copperheads country wide are attractive, your area's Osage Copperheads I find especially nice
Hear, hear. I love the white outlines of the saddles. (I also appreciate the choice made in not bugging the animal for a "better pic" - that's a fine picture, that's what you actually see when you tin-flip a copper. We - or I, at least - don't need a pose-up job.)

cheers,
Jimi
Yes the white outlines really set them apart!

And Jimi, thanks for explaining about how bamboo grows on the other forum. I have had a couple bamboo plants for two years now and this year the culms are much bigger. It all makes sense now! Couldn't figure out why they stopped growing after a few weeks each year.

Gary