Sunday afternoon trifecta den

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

nhherp

Sunday afternoon trifecta den

Post by nhherp »

A perfect Sunday outing revealed a pleasant afternoon find.
Elevation was around 5300 ft.

The area
Image20150322_160650 by nhherp

Spring has arrived
Image20150322_154133 by nhherp

Some residents. Young and Old
Image20150322_165924 by nhherp

Image20150322_170602 by nhherp

I was unable to get a photo but just below this big atrox a little farther down the rock was a medium sized female klauberi which took off moments after finding this large atrox. My friend saw the atrox first, he missed the klauberi which I heard buzz before I saw the atrox he was staring at.
Image20150322_165116 by nhherp, on Flickr

Image20150322_165143 by nhherp, on Flickr

This crack was stuffed- molossus, klauberi, atrox
Image20150322_171438 by nhherp

To the right of the atrox's nose in the crack is a hidden klauberi, its band is only apparent.
Image20150322_171530 by nhherp

All in all we quit counting at around 30 individual snakes. The only definite number I can say is the Klauberi at 2. Molossus at 12 and numerous Atrox. Many times no snake could be seen, but numerous tones of rattling could be heard within or under the rock cracks if footfall was to heavy.

The rock feature was W shape and approx. 50 ft long, 18 ft vertical with a 30 ft slope (tiered with numerous cracks and vertical fissures) I have visited numerous dens but never one so picturesque, with multi-level specimens, intermingled stacked and layered, following cracks up and shelves out across the feature.

The only thing to make it better would have been a viridis in the mix. I am sure they are here but I was hoping to find one in the mix. Either way it was special enough as it was.

Enjoy

-N-
Carl Brune

Re: Sunday afternoon trifecta den

Post by Carl Brune »

Nice post. Defintely a special spot.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Very nice. I like the way they're all tucked back into the crack like that. Sunday was a perfect day for checking dens. Unfortunately I spent the day home sick!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

So wonderful, from the first gaze to the last.
Sharrack

Post by Sharrack »

Outstanding!
pete

Post by pete »

Fantastic place!!
nhherp

Post by nhherp »

Thank you all, happy you enjoyed. It is a nice quiet place, and a total unexpected find.
I have come to prefer finding those transitional places where you are not quiet sure what will be found. Its easy to go directly to a habitat, climb in or or up and know what you will see.

There is more fun for me personally in taking some unknown canyon or picking an unknown hill/range to go poke around in, even to find not much of anything.
bgorum wrote:Very nice. I like the way they're all tucked back into the crack like that. Sunday was a perfect day for checking dens. Unfortunately I spent the day home sick!
Horrible time of year to be sick on a weekend.!

-N-
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Beautiful! Its nice to see the snakes left as found.