Your most significant find in 2015

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

RobertH

Your most significant find in 2015

Post by RobertH »

Reading this forum lately makes it seem as if no one here is actually doing any herping. From looking at the new database entries I know that this is not true. People have been finding all sorts of interesting herps throughout the state, some of them very early for the season, others in greater numbers than usual for this time of the year.

So, please share what - to you - is your most significant find of this year so far. Significant does not necessarily mean best or most beautiful or most desirable. I.e., it need not be a Rosy Boa or a San Francisco Gartersnake. Just today I found some plain ol' Southern California toads breeding in a small pool of run-off water near our house where no breeding has taken place for at least 3 years (in the pool, not the house ;) ). To me (though not necessarily Nicholas, we'll find out tomorrow, I guess), that was significant, in some way more significant than our lifer Lyre Snake we found earlier this month under AC in area where they are fairly common.

Here's one of the mating pairs in amplexus:

Image026 by robertohess, on Flickr

Notice that there are already large tadpoles, as well. At least in my experience, this is very early in the year. Must be the unusually warm January and February we have had.

Habitat:

Image024 by robertohess, on Flickr

OK, so you guys are next. You could just post pictures, but it would be great to hear a bit of the story behind the pictures, too.

Thanks.

Robert
MarcLinsalata

Re: Your most significant in 2015

Post by MarcLinsalata »

I guess mine would be a lifer I found literally one month ago during one of those rainy days. I'm not really an amphibian person but I've been giving it a whirl with the rain we've been getting and my itch to road cruise. With nothing but some free time, a quick glance at some range maps and Google Earth habitat I ventured into SD County one rainy day, and hit my goal three times that night before finally just driving home. Considering it usually takes me several attempts to reach my goals, these were rewarding because all of a sudden, BOOM, they were there...............

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I have yet to see anything bigger than a westen fence lizard this year... but Christmas eve I got my lifer Red Belly newt, and a few days before that an 18 in SD SAL in Summitt valley. I'm mostly only going for 'significant' stuff this year... hence all the skunks... :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
gopher

Post by gopher »

For me it was the rosy boa I dug up by surprise in a rodent hole. I was doing some flipping and ended up with a rather fruitless day. Eventually I was getting desperate for anything (which I am sure is a feeling we all have had). So heading back to the car I decided to re-flip a random board that was not in a special place/near an outcrop like the rest. Upon flipping I saw what looked like a head disappear into a hole (I thought of an alligator lizard honestly). Wanting to grab it, I guessed where the "lizard" path underground was taking place and socked the ground. To my surprise I saw the tail end of a rosy boa! Quickly I tried to grab the tip of it's tail. This is when my dilemma presented itself, the dirt surrounding the tunnel collapsed! See, I was wearing gloves and couldn't feel if I was actually getting a hold of the snake. So disgustingly I had to use my mouth and bite off the dirt encrusted glove in my free hand in order to gain my sense of touch. End of the story with my free hand I uncovered some dirt to see that the boa was right about to choose to take a crossroad within the tunnel before I grabbed it. It was a gross boa covered in cysts and a chewed up tail. But I still thought it was pretty in its' own right (or at least I tell myself that). Looks like living in an outcrop is way better than living with angry rodents for such a slow slug snake.
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

For me, it's been this....I didn't find it or photograph it, but I was there, does that count ?? :P Check out the tongue especially !

Brian Hubbs

Re: Your most significant find in 2015

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Being the great and awesome herper that I am, and given my 150 years of experience in the field, there isn't much left in the West that I haven't seen. :roll: However, this month I finally saw a stupid, common lizard that had eluded my attention for decades. In fact, without the Database, I would still be ignoring it. Well, to make a long story long, I finally saw this Black-tailed Brush lizard while i was photographing utas and spinys. Yay!

mattg

Post by mattg »

my best find of the year turned out to be a gator from kings county. Apparently it is an official county record according to Robert Hansen
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

mattg wrote:my best find of the year turned out to be a gator from kings county. Apparently it is an official county record according to Dr.Fisher.
Hell... I think my side blotch from Kings was a Co record... :shock: :lol: :lol: that county needs a ton of work... :D
mattg

Post by mattg »

hellihooks wrote:
mattg wrote:my best find of the year turned out to be a gator from kings county. Apparently it is an official county record according to Dr.Fisher.
Hell... I think my side blotch from Kings was a Co record... :shock: :lol: :lol: that county needs a ton of work... :D
i dont mean for the database i mean ever like no one in history has ever found one
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Here's my meager "Most Significant Find" so far for 2015. I found this adult Western Black-headed Snake under a cover board at one of our newest study sites in Mission Viejo in Orange County. It's the first Tantilla I've ever seen near the coast. The habitat is primarily grasslands. It's also one of only 5 in our database from Orange County - this one, 3 records from Mike Pecora, and one from Fundad.

SlitheringHuman

Post by SlitheringHuman »

Great finds from everybody! As for me, I have been stuck at home with (a) schoolwork, and (b) the flu.
Hope to be out there soon, this post is making me jealous and restless. :D
Itsryanfuu

Post by Itsryanfuu »

For me it's these 3.

My first flipped Rosy boa from San Diego County
ImageIMG_3013 by ryancarter951, on Flickr

2 coastal rosy boas sharing a crack.
ImageIMG_3301 by ryancarter951, on Flickr

My first rock flipped Lyre Snake.
ImageIMG_3244 by ryancarter951, on Flickr
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

mattg wrote:
hellihooks wrote:
i dont mean for the database i mean ever like no one in history has ever found one
Yeah... I realize that... great find! It's like the 10 in Varigated Skink I saw right on the beach, in Santa Cruz (which eluded me, so no proof) EVERYONE says... NO Gilberti in SC county... :shock: I look for him every time I go back... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Since Ryan is posting ( :thumb: ), he gets the credit for finding and photo'ing that crazy ruber. You're having a great year so far Ryan!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

This a Godzilla Slender I found, and my best find of the year, thus far

yoloherper

Post by yoloherper »

Found a few of these sagebrush lizards while scouting some spots in Colusa county but it took me 3+ hours to finally get a voucher for naherp.
This was actually one of a few species I was hoping to cross of from Colusa so it was nice to get it done in February.
Brian, that slender is ridiculous!
-Elliot
repaphin

Post by repaphin »

This was my most significant find this year. Found in January along with another.
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Arboreals; definitely my favorite gummy. Especially so, when they get beefy and megacephalic. This was the beefiest individual I've found, and measured 6 1/4" tl with a svl of 3 3/8". He was patternless too, which I much prefer to the spotted individuals. Can't speak to it's "significance", but definitely my favorite of the year. Found last month, hunkered down with his little lady.

ImageUntitled by Mo'o, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Mo'o, on Flickr
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

My most significant find for this year is nothing special. Just your typical "cheater" boa. But it was my first flipped boa. I've seen many boas road cruising, on the crawl, in holes and halfway out of holes. But this one was special to me because my first snake of 2015 was my first ever flipped boa.

ImageIMG_9640 by shredsteban, on Flickr
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Haven't found much yet it 2015. I did work hard yesterday to get photos and video of this Kopsteins Bronzeback.

GoPro on a pole that I duct taped to a branch to get high enough for the shots.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Very creative Lou! Really good shots too
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Nothing too crazy on my end....

Feb 28

shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Zach_Lim wrote:Nothing too crazy on my end....

Feb 28

LOL...*facepalm*
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Beautiful shots, all.

I've had some nice herp sightings in CA so far this year, though none of them quite rise to the level of significant. My most significant CA encounter this year has been this:

ImageMountain Lion, Puma concolor by J. Maughn, on Flickr

Unlikely enough, I think, to at least count as an honorary herp. :shock:

JimM
Porter

Post by Porter »

Dude... :beer:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Here kitty kitty...
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Maughn chops, Yummmm
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Mine for the year would be this guy...most aggressive ruber I've ever encountered. Found it on the crawl and he never calmed down.

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'm to the point where my lack of luck is becoming downright alarming. I've seen ONE live snake this year, (a red coach xing the street 50 yrds from my house) despite going out frequently since Jan. I've basically seen desert nights, SB's, Fence swifts and YB spinys.... no HL, no collards, no chucks, no whips... not even a Zebra tail, despite working IN THE GRANITE Mts every day this year.

I think the improbability of this happening, and continuing, is becoming more and more significant, as each day passes... :shock:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Jim,

Maybe, it's just to early in the year to find much in the high desert :?: While this year is warmer than usual, this is probably more true for coastal areas where Santa Anas warm the air. Plus nighttime temps are mostly still in the low 40's low in the high desert, which should keep snakes underground or at least under rocks where they are not readily seen.

In fact, Nick and I had thought about heading to the high desert (JT) for the first time this weekend, but conditions just don't look right to me yet, with highs barely getting into the mid-eighties on Sunday. The freaky thing with the high desert is that next thing we know, it'll be too hot and too late to go there. It's a small window to work with, at least for daytime herping. Road cruising is different, of course.

I hope for you, and also us, that conditions will improve soon. Give us a holler when it's time and we might come out and look for specks with you.

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Nope... not it. everyone else up here are finding specks in numbers, along with everything else. just one of those statistical improbabilities (like winning the lotto) that happen, I guess... :shock:
That... or I need to cut my winter's coat of hair and beard off... yeah... that's probably it... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Well, in that case, yeah, maybe you need to cut all that hair off so you have unobstructed vision. :lol: