"insitu" under AC

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

repaphin

"insitu" under AC

Post by repaphin »

I love seeing snakes under boards and trash. I cant seem to get enough! Can anyone share some of their photos?
Here is one taken the other day.
reako45

Re: "insitu" under AC

Post by reako45 »

Good looking brown & white.

reako45
Porter

Post by Porter »

This a favorite in situ-flip of mine. Never touched him. Nice layout and neck pattern.

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

This one's better...flipped by Owen :thumb:

California Kingsnake eating a Racer by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

California Kingsnake eating a Racer by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

racer and northwestern garter
repaphin

Post by repaphin »

Keep it up guys! Thats an amzing find!
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Found a couple helleri once under a piece of tin....

RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Kent, that shot takes 1st place for AC finds, hands down. It's not just the number of snakes, 9 by my count, but all of the different colors, patterns and sizes, and the way they are almost seamlessly situated one next to the others. Very cool.

Robert
Porter

Post by Porter »

Yep, what Robert said :beer: nice flip
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I love that photo Kent! I remember when you first posted it some years back, and several times I've gone looking for it again but been unable to find it. I'm glad you've brought it back - it's such a good example of helleri diversity in a single locale.
Porter

Post by Porter »

I'm not disputing the awesome quality of that photo...however, how different they teally are, color-wise, is up for debate. I observed an individual one year who was definitely the same snake (neck pattern photo id) from two different flips. Coloration was light lime-ish green in spring and dark brown shades in mid summer. Depending on what phase or rather how close they were to shed at the time they burrowed in for hibernation could have something to do w the varition. Also the type/color of earth they crawled though (holes) before settling in
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Thanks guys! There were actually 11 helleri under that single piece of tin, but two were to the side and out of the frame. I was propping the tin up with my snake stick in one hand, taking a picture with the other, and trying to watch all those snakes at once. Sadly, that tin is now gone.

Re: the color, I've been under the impression that they'll get lighter or darker depending on the temp, but I hadn't noticed a change in the overall tint (which certainly doesn't mean it's not there) - I'll pay more attention now Porter!
Porter

Post by Porter »

It's something of a mystery to me more or less, actually Kent. I'm still trying to find the right evidence to support my assumption. The place where I was able to observe the dame individuals was cleaned out of all sheet metal and Ithink has been bbulldozed by now. In fact, all of the dens I knew of have been wiped out as development in placer county expands. You can still find a few buzz tail in the areas remaning, but the dens near boulders, fallen trees, and old abandoned houses have removed. So, Iddon't think I'll find any solid answers soon. I was actually thinking of rubers and how there isnt much variation (from pics ive seen, not a socal guy) and wondrring if they all dwell in similar dirt... being a somewhat limited range sub.I know soils and other habitat have alot of effect on panamints. My thoughts are that the valley has such a diversity of soils and clays that it might have a lot to do with nor pacs appearance of variation aside frm actual variation. I've seen the light grey and the brown together in the same biomes, but whether or not they look different depending on shedding phases or burrow soil, mud is something I'd like to have some answers to. keeping a individual in captivity wouldn't give you those answers.. :?
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Porter wrote:I'm not disputing the awesome quality of that photo...however, how different they teally are, color-wise, is up for debate. I observed an individual one year who was definitely the same snake (neck pattern photo id) from two different flips. Coloration was light lime-ish green in spring and dark brown shades in mid summer.
Can you post the pics?
Porter

Post by Porter »

I had one of him green, taken from above similar to kents. I deleted it tho. I have video of em from that day and then a pic from summer that year. I'll have to post later. On my phone now and no time.

So the green coloration... here's random thoughts. There is a series of veim like trickling water runoffs the flow through the grasslands there. They soon stop trickling and become springtime shallow puddles full of thick algae. I wonder if the chlorophyll is somehow staining or effecting the natural sun reflection of the non green pigment of the light grey scales. I don't think the snake is natural ly a green variation. I think its only green during that specific time..maybe not even each year..rather each coincidental circumstance. Laying in a moist burrow near or beneath the algae enriched water. I saw green bluebellies right near these streams. Either that or consumption of the water or bugs/vermin drinking the water if thats even possible. At work on break..gotta go.

Sorry for leading this post off subject! Someone post a damn flip pic so I can shut my trap :lol:
repaphin

Post by repaphin »

Porter

Post by Porter »

. Jonathon sorry. I forgot the vid has me holding rattlrts in it. I can't post it outta respect for the forum. This post is about flips anyway. Lets see some species variation :beer:
Itsryanfuu

Post by Itsryanfuu »

ImageIMG_3590 by ryancarter951, on Flickr
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Here's a short sequence of insitu shots taken from one of my favorite finds under AC

repaphin

Post by repaphin »

Very cool guys! Steve, that's is a very special find!
This Sidewinder was from this January.
gopher

Post by gopher »

shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Image127 (2) by shredsteban, on Flickr

Do these helleri in a storm drain catch basin count?
Imagesprattlers by shredsteban, on Flickr

Imagekg by shredsteban, on Flickr

Patternless side blotched under a board

Imageplsb2 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Imagegoppp by shredsteban, on Flickr