InSitu Rattlesnakes

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brendan

InSitu Rattlesnakes

Post by Brendan »

It's been a couple years since I've shared much on here. In no particular order I'll post some highlights to the last field season. All shots are of snakes which were never disturbed for any reason. These days I always do my best to leave no footprints.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Re: InSitu Rattlesnakes

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Beautiful collection, thanks! Particularly love the first shot.
pete

Post by pete »

Beautiful post!
Nothing like finding something and leaving it sitting exactly where it was.
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Absolutely astonishingly awesome as always :thumb:
Jacob anderson

Post by Jacob anderson »

Nice shots!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

This is the Best!!!!!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Love that white Speckled?....fifth from the bottom. Great shots.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks guys. After scrolling back through the post I realized I barley posted anything. Lol Seemed like I put up a lot more than I did. Forgot how long it takes to write a post.

Lou the snake you are referring to is a speck. There are three posted that would be considered "white specks" in the thread.
Bob McKeever

Post by Bob McKeever »

Awesome is inadequate. Field effort & results that won't likely be matched anytime soon. Thanks much for sharing.
Bob
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Very nice post. Its good to see some people can still take awesome photos of rattlesnakes without disturbing them. I find in situ photos way more enjoyable. You have also captured some great behaviours! Is that one speckled drinking off of itself?
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Bob! Much appreciated.

Kfen.......good spot on the speck. She was first spotted coiled on an embankment and 20 mins later the sky opened up and she moved into the open to get a drink. Got a few shots before I got soaked!!
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Excellent post, Brendan. Love the variety of sp., as well as the 'feeding shots'.

Always refreshing to see in-situ posts... :beer:

Derek

btw - Superb photography
IllinoisGuy

Post by IllinoisGuy »

Simply awesome. I think photographing rattlesnakes without disturbing them is the least we can do to respect them. Great shots by the way!

-Edward
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Kfen here are a bunch more "rain harvesting" shots from the rainy season this year.....

Since I didn't post anything last year here are a few more from 2013

Thanks Derek and Edward!!!
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Absolutely awesome!
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Awesome photos! I really dig the pic of the spec and blacktail in the same shot.

~Bree
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Bree. I love it too. Funny thing is I didn't even notice the blacktail till I walked away and decided I needed one more shot with my cell phone. I was so focused on the speck I didn't notice the molossus.

Thanks Bill!
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

I respect good in-situ photography 8-) . What awesome awesome captures!! I'm assuming you would have to spend a LOT of time out in the field to see all that, are you conducting some sort of research on rattlers??
-Bethany
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Love this post. Rattlesnakes are up there in my top 3 types of snakes, and the only snake where the whole Crotalidae family makes it into my top 3 groups. You have really got my aching to at least visit the SW United States for a few months, if not move there!
Swamp Crawler

Post by Swamp Crawler »

Great Pics!!! You need to come out here to Florida and take some pics.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Bethany. I don't do any research just my hobby which I'm passionate about. This is a super tiny cross section of the field observations I make each year. Many of these snakes I see over and over again every year and have for 7 years. It's fun getting to know them over the years and allows me more opportunity for behavioral observations the better I get to know them.

Simus it's a fun place to live and herp.

Swamp crawler I'll be there in March!!!
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

damn dude these are all awesome. the white speck buddied up with the blacktail is my favorite
DevinBergquist

Post by DevinBergquist »

Good stuff Brendan, glad you decided to post again. I agree with Matt, that speck and blacktail together is an awesome shot. I really like the atrox shot above it too, the lighting is perfect. Well done, I always look forward to your posts.

Devin
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Devin. I figured since I took a break from social media for a while my posting here wouldn't be too redundant.

Matt it was one of those memorable moments I won't forget.

Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Glad to see you're still out doing your thing Brendan. Curious - did you just luck into those neonates in set 1, or had you been monitoring the moms throughout June (or whenever)? And were those mosquitoes, or just some other little flies, on the neonate tiger? (think it's a tiger, can't see enough to be sure myself) Looks kinda hellish...skeeters in the desert are just so...desperate. So driven. Yuck.

On a more serious and perhaps less interesting-to-you note - you've now got some pretty interesting and unique longitudinal data of known individuals. There is a lot more information that could be harvested from those raw data. If you were so inclined, I'd suggest you get with a snake population biologist (demographic modeler) and see what they might be able to use from your data set. There are individual, population, and "nuisance" parameters that might be estimable from your data. And who knows what other on-going studies might be benefit from your information. You might make some good contacts that way too, and learn some things you don't already know.

Best,
Jimi
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Beautiful work Brendan. Incredible natural history captured, the feeding observations I especially enjoyed. It seems like mitchelli is feeding on a lot of birds? I love the piles of lutosus.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hey Jimi great to hear from you. Yes I'm still at it as much as ever. I located that momma speck about a week before she delivered her babies. Specks are a really hard animal to observe immediately post partum, at least for me. Of more than 40 gravid females that I may encounter in mid to late summer I am never really able to get photos of mom with babies. It's only happened less than a half dozen times over hundreds of individuals. One season I had nearly 15 gravid specks communally associating and never got to see one baby. LOL I think its because this species tends to have babies below the surface and babies don't come back out till it's time to split. That or I just suck!! The photos of the atrox giving birth above is the first time I have even been present for an actual birthing and later got to see her with the babies for almost a week before they shed and split. I have seen lots of cases of mommas and babies together in other species such as atrox and molossus and even klauberi, just not pyrrhus. Working on getting some of this stuff published through the proper channels.

Hey Bryan, thank you. Yes I have at least 10 observations of pyrrhus predating on various birds. They love em!!
Forgot a few of these

The spoils of victory
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

So glad to see you post here, Brendan! Your "oh, by the way" shots tacked onto the end are better than anything I see in a given year. I'm doing something wrong! Your dedication and effort are so evident in your posts! The rainwater shots are outstanding and the combat and the birthing and the feeding...just amazing. You even managed to catch some of the more nervous montanes doing there thing. And an arboreal klaub! From my perspective, this post cannot be topped! :beer:
York
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks very much York. From my perspective there are tons of people doing beneficial research on rattlesnakes but almost all of the studies involve direct contact with the snakes on a semi regular basis. In time there are behavioral alterations that take place and you never really get a 100% unbiased perspective on what's going on. My methods and those of a few others may be primitive but they lend themselves to a different perspective. I think both are important for a more complete picture of what's really going on.

I keep adding because it's really hard to sum up a full field season in 20-30 photos
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

Brendan wrote:My methods and those of a few others may be primitive but they lend themselves to a different perspective.
What do you mean by "primitive"? Just that you aren't handling the snakes and collecting those sorts of data? Obviously, you're treading lightly, but is there something else about your approach that is primitive? Just curious.

I meant to say earlier how ridiculous the blue and white specks look when they're not on granite. They don't blend in at all with vegetation! It's hard to believe they could be so successful at catching birds.
Brendan wrote:I keep adding because it's really hard to sum up a full field season in 20-30 photos
KEEP ADDING! I want to see more! :thumb:

Thanks,
York
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Primitive by "scientific method" standards. I'm not testing hypothesis and collecting hard evidence that the snakes I've been seeing for the past 7 years are indeed the same snakes I "think" they are. My eyes could be lying to me. LOL

They are very successful at birds! Even in vegetation they look just like all the other random rock scattered below.

Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

Okay, you just topped it with that kaleidoscope of specks surrounding a New Mexican klaub!

I dunno...when I glance at your shots of white specks up off the ground, my first thought is, "Hey, there's a white speck!" :D They stand out! But obviously they must be very cryptic to birds. That white one beside the water is especially interesting. It doesn't look like such great habitat for crotes - especially up off the ground. And the incredible array of other colors is mind boggling. Thanks for posting more shots - I really enjoyed them!
York
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Wow, more amazing captures!!! I bet it's awesome to be so "in tune" with those populations and to know their habits and behaviors so well. I hope you consider contributing to the forum more often. You certainly have seen some amazing sights! Thanks for sharing!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

York the snake in the brittle bush was due to a flash flood which forced several animals up into the bushes and trees. The rain came down in buckets for 20 mins and filled the entire canyon. We had tracked down 7 animals prior to the rain and I sat and watched the last snake drink off her coils as the rain started but it got bad fast and I had a bail. The car was .5mi away and water levels were rising fast. By the time I got back to the truck the rain was staring to let up so we decided to go back out and check on the animals to see what they had done. Several had moved up into bushes and trees and a few new aninals actually popped out from hiding. Saw a molossus 6ft up in a tree.
Yeah NM was kind to us this season. Saw some stunners in many new ranges.

Thank you RnR!
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Wow, that's a truly impressive collection of beautifully photographed field observations. I guess it goes without saying that you see stuff other than Crotalus in the field; mind sharing any of that stuff too?

-Gene
condyle

Post by condyle »

Who can't LOVE Crots after this post?!!!
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Brendan, awesome stuff. I'm always impressed by your skill and findings. It's also so much more satisfying seeing your photos on a bigger screen than my cell phone!

Nick
JEDDLV

Post by JEDDLV »

Great stuff Brendan, even saw a few that I hadn't seen before. One of the best posts I've seen on here. Thanks for sharing.
daniel

Post by daniel »

This is my favorite post I've seen here. I absolutely love the photos of the neonates and mothers, especially the atrox! I also really love the drinking after rainstorm photos. You are a gifted naturalist!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

The Real Snake Man wrote:Wow, that's a truly impressive collection of beautifully photographed field observations. I guess it goes without saying that you see stuff other than Crotalus in the field; mind sharing any of that stuff too?

-Gene
Thanks very much Gene. I do come across a fair number of non crotaline reptiles in the course of looking for rattlesnakes but I am not sure I have any photos that would really be too exciting. About the most exciting things I see are gila monsters, green rats, mountain kings and rosy boas. I don't put much effort into good photos of them (other than Gilas) since they are usually not just sitting still waiting for me to snap pics and move on. If I have to take the time to pose a snake I usually don't get good photos. I'd post a few here but I think I'd be getting off topic in my own post.

Thanks Nick! I know what your saying. Photos on IG are not the same!

Much apprecaited JEDDLV!! Glad to know you enjoyed it.

Daniel thank you very much!!

cameron.rognan

Post by cameron.rognan »

Brendan

Awesome photos and natural observations as always. I'm still hoping to see male combat like that someday. Great work!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

cameron.rognan wrote:Brendan

Awesome photos and natural observations as always. I'm still hoping to see male combat like that someday. Great work!
Thanks Cameron! Based on all the amazing things you've seen in the past few years I would say it's just a matter of time. I wanna see some of your local winders battle! ;)
justinm

Post by justinm »

Brendan,

I'm sure I can't appreciate how much work goes into finding this many neonates. I've only seen it twice and I know I was lucky, but had worked the field a lot. Your posts are always a favorite. Thanks for the photos and documentation. This is simply outstanding, I will revisit this a few times surely as the Winter here is upon me.

Justin Michels
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

justinm wrote:Brendan,

I'm sure I can't appreciate how much work goes into finding this many neonates. I've only seen it twice and I know I was lucky, but had worked the field a lot. Your posts are always a favorite. Thanks for the photos and documentation. This is simply outstanding, I will revisit this a few times surely as the Winter here is upon me.

Justin Michels
Thanks Justin. Each year it seems to be pot luck for seeing neonates with mom. I encountered a bunch of klaubs with fresh babies but the photo ops usually suck. It's not like they just lay out in the open for you to come by a snap pics. I almost always see neonate pricei as well but have never seen one with mom. The specks are my biggest PITA only because I locate sometimes up to 40 or 50 gravid females in the summer season but actually getting to see one or two drop is a huge challenge. I just think they rarely drop on the surface unless the rookery site is just perfect. I'll keep trying though. Many times it's just a matter of the right place at the right time.

B
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Brendan wrote:Thanks very much Gene. I do come across a fair number of non crotaline reptiles in the course of looking for rattlesnakes but I am not sure I have any photos that would really be too exciting. About the most exciting things I see are gila monsters, green rats, mountain kings and rosy boas. I don't put much effort into good photos of them (other than Gilas) since they are usually not just sitting still waiting for me to snap pics and move on. If I have to take the time to pose a snake I usually don't get good photos. I'd post a few here but I think I'd be getting off topic in my own post.
Definitely understandable, after discovering this year just how much work goes into good snake photography I know the importance of prioritizing. So where are you based then (I'm guessing Arizona)? Seems like you get into the Sky Islands quite a bit. No willardi?
ahockenberry

Post by ahockenberry »

Brendan - AWESOME !!
Wow, I lost track of the number of species
You put on a clinic with these
All Killer shots !
Thanks for sharing
Ashley
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

The Real Snake Man wrote:
Brendan wrote:Thanks very much Gene. I do come across a fair number of non crotaline reptiles in the course of looking for rattlesnakes but I am not sure I have any photos that would really be too exciting. About the most exciting things I see are gila monsters, green rats, mountain kings and rosy boas. I don't put much effort into good photos of them (other than Gilas) since they are usually not just sitting still waiting for me to snap pics and move on. If I have to take the time to pose a snake I usually don't get good photos. I'd post a few here but I think I'd be getting off topic in my own post.
Definitely understandable, after discovering this year just how much work goes into good snake photography I know the importance of prioritizing. So where are you based then (I'm guessing Arizona)? Seems like you get into the Sky Islands quite a bit. No willardi?
Yeah I just didn't include any in my post. I only looked for them once this season. I spent more time in new ranges for klauberi and forgot about willies.

Thanks Ashley!!
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Brendan, you always amaze me with your photography and observations! I always look forward to your posts! Thanks for sharing!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Norman D wrote:Brendan, you always amaze me with your photography and observations! I always look forward to your posts! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks buddy! You've made just as many cool observations the last few years!