Whip-poor-will

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gary2sons

Whip-poor-will

Post by Gary2sons »

While herping this Spring with herpfriend and one of my sons we came across 2 nests. Both were found on semi-wooded glades.

This first pair of eggs were found April 27th.

Next pair were found June 1st.

After checking out the glade for herps I went back to the spot where the whip-poor-will had flown from and after what seemed like a very long time of staring at the spot I finally saw her. Was only able to get one pic but at least it showed the bird!

Probably not a big deal to some but I had never before seen a whip-poor-will nest. If you can actually call it a nest! How can they possibly survive on the ground until they can fly! Another one of those joys of herping when you never know what you may find out there! :)

And is it whip-poor-will or whippoorwill! :lol:

Thanks for looking!

Gary
pete

Re: Whip-poor-will

Post by pete »

Very cool! I've found a couple of nests before and have found babies as well. I'm always amazed that they aren't discovered and eaten! They are such interesting birds. The sound of them calling is one of the most relaxing things on a summer night!
Thanks for posting em :thumb:
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Gary2sons wrote:If you can actually call it a nest!
Haha, at least the second bird seemed to have made a "feeble" attempt :lol: . Good eye spotting those man :beer:
chrish

Post by chrish »

Wow. That's neat....and cruel.

The stupid Whip-poor-will (Eastern and Mexican) have been curse birds for me for 30 years. I just can't seem to find them and you are stumbling over their eggs! Sheesh!
pete

Post by pete »

Road cruise in the ozarks at dusk Chris! You will see em!
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

pete ,John Martin, chrish

Thanks for the comments!
chrish wrote:Wow. That's neat....and cruel.

The stupid Whip-poor-will (Eastern and Mexican) have been curse birds for me for 30 years. I just can't seem to find them and you are stumbling over their eggs! Sheesh!
They do seem to be fairly common here in the Ozarks. I have seen a couple birds on the road at night and maybe 3 or 4 over the years flying but of course you can hear their call almost any night in the summer.
chrish

Post by chrish »

pete wrote:Road cruise in the ozarks at dusk Chris! You will see em!
They occur around here during the fall and spring as well, I've just never seen one. :oops:

Around here I see and hear Pauraques and I hear Chucks whenever I roadhunt with the windows down. If I go a bit west I get scads of Poorwills. Surely I can stumble across a Whip....somewhere?
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Seeing poorwills/chucks at night on the road in the SE is common as well, but spotting one on the nest, Gary, is something else. Your 3rd pic says it all. :thumb: :thumb:

Similar cryptic bird: As a teenager, trucking through the forest, I stepped over a log in spring, only to have all hell break loose 3 feet away. A Ruffed Grouse exploded up and flew; not unusual where I lived; but where it had been were about 10 eggs that were quite obvious.
I marked the log on the blind side with a stick and returned the next day from the blind side. This time stalking cautiously. I slowly peered over the log to view the nest, and I swear for several moments, I thought a predator had found the nest and taken the eggs. They were no where to be found.
Finally, I focused. The grouse was sitting on the nest, 3 feet in front of me and covering the eggs, and it still took several moments to see it!