My first Western Groundsnake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach Cava

My first Western Groundsnake

Post by Zach Cava »

I'll be leaving the desert in a couple weeks, so I've been scrambling to get in as much herping as I can, and trying to find some of the few species that have managed to elude me over the last three years. Groundsnakes (Sonora semiannulata) have been at the top of my list, and last night I was thrilled to see a gorgeous one out near Lake Mead (thanks to my friend A.J. for spotting this tiny thing on the shoulder of the road!).

Groundsnakes must be one of the most visually striking (and variable) species in this region—the colors remind me of a Honduran Milksnake. Now I just need to find a Leaf-nosed...

Wish I had moved that vegetation out of the way! It only sat still for a second.

Image by Zachary Cava, on Flickr

Very squirmy and not wanting to show it's face

Forgot to take a shot for size reference, so here's this. Very little!

hellihooks

Re: My first Western Groundsnake

Post by hellihooks »

Very VERY COOL. Take it from me, as a person who has only found one... you'll want to find #2, twice as much... :beer: :lol: :lol: jim
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

hellihooks wrote:Very VERY COOL. Take it from me, as a person who has only found one... you'll want to find #2, twice as much... :beer: :lol: :lol: jim
Very true, I'd like to see a striped one next!
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Congrats! They are awesome snakes. I found my first one this year back in March and another in May. They have to be in my top three of favorite snakes I've found so far in Utah. I can't wait to get back down to that area to look for some more.
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

Rancorrye wrote:Congrats! They are awesome snakes. I found my first one this year back in March and another in May. They have to be in my top three of favorite snakes I've found so far in Utah. I can't wait to get back down to that area to look for some more.
Thanks! Were yours about the same size? I'm curious if anyone has kept these in captivity? A brief search didn't turn up anything. With their small size, bright colors and variable morphs, I'd think they would be more popular, but maybe their husbandry isn't so straightforward.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

They were about the same size, maybe a little smaller. Chris (simpleyork) found a larger one on that same trip.

Can't really get a size reference off of these pics, but here they are anyway. I'd say these two were around 5 inches. Didn't get a good pic of the one Chris found.

ImageSonora semiannulata semiannulata by Rancorrye, on Flickr

ImageSonora semiannulata semiannulata by Rancorrye, on Flickr
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

Rancorrye wrote:They were about the same size, maybe a little smaller. Chris (simpleyork) found a larger one on that same trip.

Can't really get a size reference off of these pics, but here they are anyway. I'd say these two were around 5 inches. Didn't get a good pic of the one Chris found.
Beautiful snake
simpleyork

Post by simpleyork »

ground snakes are sweet looking
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Rancorrye wrote:Congrats! They are awesome snakes. I found my first one this year back in March and another in May. They have to be in my top three of favorite snakes I've found so far in Utah. I can't wait to get back down to that area to look for some more.
Did you find yours in SW UT? There's supposed to be a population farther north in a certain county I won't mention.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Nice find Zach. We'll miss you out here. You've done some great work.

I'm not sure how far north Sonora goes in Utah but they make up to the Idaho border in Nevada.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Brian Hubbs wrote:
Did you find yours in SW UT? There's supposed to be a population farther north in a certain county I won't mention.

Yep, they were both found in SW Utah.
I think I know what county you are referring to...

Rye
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

It's the one with a city that starts with M and has a big building on a hillside... ;)
I really don't know why I'm keeping it a secret...somebody needs to go there and verify those snakes.
OK, the area is very close to a college too...
occidentalis

Post by occidentalis »

There are records from Carbon and Uintah - is your hint Sanpete Co.? Never heard of them from there.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Yes, Sanpete...near Manti and Ephrahm
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

Bryan Hamilton wrote:Nice find Zach. We'll miss you out here. You've done some great work.

I'm not sure how far north Sonora goes in Utah but they make up to the Idaho border in Nevada.
Thanks Bryan! Sorry I couldn't make it out with you guys this week. I'll be back, I'm sure.
simpleyork

Post by simpleyork »

thad be cool to find them in one of those counties