Southeast Chapter Member Biographies (2014 update)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Southeast Chapter Member Biographies (2014 update)

Post by Noah M »

I felt like it was time to update this, so old members, new members, and anybody in between please post.

Post as much or as little about yourself below. You can even copy and paste your old bio from Daniel's post if you want.
Adam Cooner

Re: Southeast Chapter Member Biographies (2014 update)

Post by Adam Cooner »

I'll go first, I guess. As the username suggests, my name's Adam Cooner. I'm originally from Walker County in Northwest Alabama. After spending 8 years in Auburn and an ill-advised 43 days in Northwest Indiana, I now live in Anniston, Alabama, a small city in Northeast Alabama near Cheaha State Park and the Talladega National Forest. I'm a veterinarian there at a large wellness, referral, and emergency practice. Snakes have always been my first love when it comes to herps, but, of late, I've also become much more interested in amphibians, especially salamanders.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

an ill-advised 43 days in Northwest Indiana
So funny, Adam! :lol:
I'm an oldish teacher who herps recreationally and obsessively. I married my best field partner, Raymond (when you find a primo field partner, you don't let him get away).
Snakes are my passion, but I'm interested in all the herps. It appears that lately, I have also been opportunistically infected with a fledgling case of birding.
Me and Raymond love herp company, and we enjoy our SE chapter family immensely. We are just north of Mobile, AL, so y'all come visit.
My other obsession is my little flock of chooks. They fascinate me endlessly.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

I'm also one of those with my actual name as my username. I grew up in Georgia, and have been here for most of my life. I spent a few years in South Carolina, and a depressing ten months in Delaware. Other than that, I have been right here, exploring as much as I can. I work for the Dept of Natural Resources doing environmental education, and I have been doing presentations since I was about 13. Turtles and snakes are my big thing, but I appreciate all manner of reptiles and amphibians. I don't get to post here as much as I like (or used to), but that is okay because I have a one year old daughter that I am taking outside when I am able.
Like Tamara said, I too, enjoy the SE Chapter family immensely! I look forward to the coming year's adventures!
--Berkeley
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

This is Bree (Gabrielle McGhee), and I have had an interest in snakes since I hit my teens. I actually took a rough green to school one day and chased my track coach with it. She cried.

Fast forward to my twenties, and I married a hot keeper. This got me interested in native rattlesnakes as well as exotics. By the time we divorced, I was disgusted with the pet trade and the way imported animals were treated, and so I got out of keeping. Free from my ex-husband's influence, I began field herping just to photograph rather than collect.

In just the last year....make that the last 6 months, I have expanded my interests from just venomous snakes to other herps as well. I am finding it more and more fun to check out every frog, lizard, and garter snake I come across. At the moment, I'm on a salamander kick. Thus I find it very useful to drag my current husband along for the purpose of log flipping, when he'd rather be at home playing guitar.

I still do not keep any snakes, but I do have some tortoises and a salamander, and we have plans to replace the dart frogs we had to sell before our most recent cross-country move.

If any like-minded individuals ever want to meet up, Clay County, FL is my stomping grounds. Happy hunting!

~Bree
dery

Post by dery »

My name's Samuel Dery I've been interested in herps since my parents got me "I'm a little alligator" on a paddling/camping trip in the Okefenokee swamp as a toddler.
PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim »

I'm Tim! I'm on the east coast of Florida. I've been into reptiles since I was about 12 or so when I caught my first snake. Since then I've had the chance to do some traveling through high school and see some incredible things in the field. In the last couple years I've really broadened my interests a ton but it's still all related to nature. Primitive archery has been keeping me busy during the cooler parts of the year and I've been making bows and arrows from natural materials with simple hand tools. I got into wildlife filming recently and that has been a ton of fun! There's so much more to say but I'll keep it brief. If you want to know more just google Primitive Tim.
Jordan S.

Post by Jordan S. »

I'm Jordan Schmitt! Current college student in Gainesville, Florida. When I am not studying, I spend all my off time herping. I am originally from Altus, Oklahoma (Jackson county, specifically from Altus Air Force Base). I have lived in Florida for 13 years now and love it. My goal in life is to become a research biologist or ecologist with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or USGS. I want to go exceed my academic potential and get my PhD and would like to write and publish many documentations about reptiles and amphibians.
Florida has treated me well and I am thankful for all the stuff I have seen so far in my short (currently 19) years on this planet. I've also met a lot of really cool people over the years that have taught me so much. I've been into reptiles,amphibians etc. my whole life.
Other activities I like to do is draw, paint, play basketball, play guitar and I also enjoy birding. Herping has taken me so many cool places, well, at least in Florida. This year starts my out-of-state herping trips so I am excited about that.
By the way, this is my website. It is dedicated to studying the Eastern Tiger Salamander in peninsular Florida!
http://www.projecttigrinumflorida.webs.com
Here is a link to my 2013 End of the Year post
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 11&t=18395
Stay up to date with my finds in 2014! I have a herp log that I update constantly!
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 11&t=18766
Joseph Jenkins

Post by Joseph Jenkins »

I'm Joseph Jenkins! I am a senior attending Auburn University pursuing majors in Zoology and Mechanical Engineering. In addition to college, I work for the Alabama Natural Heritage Program (under Jim Godwin) in Bankhead National Forest conducting Flattened Musk Turtle research. I have lived in Alabama my entire life - born and raised in Madison, AL.

My interests radiate from a childhood love of anurans, dinosaurs, and the outdoors. I have my herpetological roots in herpetoculture, but have shifted my focus towards academia and field herping since coming to Auburn, although I still keep and breed a number of herps. I am an avid backpacker, fisherman, and hunter. If it has to do with the outdoors, I can't get enough!

My field herping goal is to see every herp extant in Alabama.

I would also like to say that my life would be quite different (and definitely not as awesome) if it weren't for all the amazing people I have met through the Southeast Chapter of NAFHA. Everyone is incredibly welcoming and represent southern hospitality at its best, *cough* Tamara and *cough* Ray *cough*. Thank you all for being awesome!
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

James, 28, Mobile, AL. I have been interested in herps and anything natural history related since I was at least 4 years old, probably before that. I grew up in an urban environment, so I was mostly limited to anoles and toads back then. By high school, I was more focused on music (guitar), and my more outdoor pursuits took a back seat to that. After high school, I slowly got back into it, and when I discovered this forum in 2008, I decided to be a "real" field herper.

My other interests include birding, fishing, insects (mostly Lepidoptera), and plants. I still play music, but none of the bands I've been in so far really played the exact stuff I wanna do-hoping to change that this year.

Anyway, here's some gratuitous herp shots:

083 by Coluber Constrictor, on Flickr

Kemp's Ridley (Lepidochelys kempii) by Coluber Constrictor, on Flickr

Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake (Sistrurus miliarius barbouri) by Coluber Constrictor, on Flickr
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

I'm Bethany, 16, from Southern Middle Tennessee. I have a passion for reptiles and amphibians and love to go field herping wherever and whenever i can. I also have several captive herps to keep me company when i'm not field herping. I like pretty much anything if it's outdoors. Mature hardwood forests are my favorite places to be.

In my environment by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

Jayd Raines here.

I am from the most eastern county in KY (Pike County) and just a stone's throw from Virginia. I am a Park Naturalist by career and my attentions are forced to be focused on all aspects of natural and cultural history. Ornithology, dendrology and botany takes up an enormous amount of my time as work along with 18th century history and educational/recreational programming but herpetology has always been an obsession. I spend as much time as possible (although not nearly as much as I would like) in the field herping and also maintain a modest collection of animals both at my home and at work.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Hi all. I'm a graduate student at the University of Florida. That usually takes up more time than I would prefer, but I enjoy my work. When I'm not at school, I'm spending time with my wife or I'm out hiking and driving around, exploring the great state of Florida. My focus at school is on climate change and coastal tourism, but I've always had an interest in all aspects of human-environment interaction. I'm originally from Indiana, but now consider myself a Floridian.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

I like the idea of this, but the old one is still quite relevant, I think. Even if there are some old members that no long participate, it's still a living post. I enjoy going through it still. Admittedly, I haven't put my new bio on that one since my old one was lost before the big crash. I'm not putting this one down, and encourage everyone to get to know each other better, I just think the old one can still be used for these bio's.

Personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

-Jake
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

JakeScott wrote:I like the idea of this, but the old one is still quite relevant, I think. Even if there are some old members that no long participate, it's still a living post. I enjoy going through it still. Admittedly, I haven't put my new bio on that one since my old one was lost before the big crash. I'm not putting this one down, and encourage everyone to get to know each other better, I just think the old one can still be used for these bio's.

Personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

-Jake
Yes the old one is still important to keep around, but people change jobs, move, etc. I wanted people to have the option to update.
simus343

Post by simus343 »

This still going? Figure it is a good way to introduce myself as I am new to posting on these forums, been reading posts since 2010 though.

Hey all my name is Nick. I am 19 and currently working on an Associates degree majoring in Zoology with hopes of transferring to the University of Florida in a semester or two. I am a Floridian military brat, which has given me experience in other areas of the world besides just the southeastern United States. I have had the opportunity to live in Okinawa and the Canberra, Australia. I really got into serious field herping after moving back to the United States and falling in love with a lifer Heterodon platirhinos in 2009. Before that all of my herping was over-regulated by concerned parents, haha.

My enthusiasm, interest in first-hand observations, and bragging grand parents earned me a position working with Gopherus polyphemus and working on Longleaf Pine Ecosystem restoration. This has given me a wonderful chance to field herp while working, as well as see rare and threatened, sometimes endangered animals where they are unmolested by anyone except payed scientists and myself under their supervision.

My main focus currently in field observation and environmental recreation is Anaxyrus terrestris. My long term interests are currently set on snakes of the genus Heterodon with most of my enthusiasm centered on Heterodon simus as some people may see in my user name. I am not much for collecting specimens for long term captivity besides the Anaxyrus terrestris, I have enough pet herps as it is and figure a photo is longer lasting than an actual animal.

Also I saw and read about the naherp registration, read up on it some more on the website and registered there under the same user name. Other than that is there any sort of application or "right of passage" deal that I must accomplish to be considered part of the N.A.F.H.A. southeast chapter?

Thanks all and I hope to get some of my pics up from 2013 soon as well as learn some new tips and tricks from experienced field herpers and photographers!
ToddB

Post by ToddB »

I posted this in the other biography thread before I saw this one, so I'll repost here too...

Hello everyone. My name is Todd, I was username svreptiles on the old site before the crash. I'm here west of Gainesville in Trenton, Fl. I got kinda sidetracked by life (jobs, kids, etc.) and haven't been very active in the field for a few years. I'm really looking forward to getting back out again, especially with my kids, who are now the perfect age to start herping. If anyone is interested in getting out in this area some weekend, please shoot me a message.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Hey everyone,

I've posted here a few times in the past few weeks, so I'm overdue for a proper introduction. My name is Matt, and I've always been interested in reptiles, although I only adopted the hobby of herping in the past year. I'm 29 years old, married (proud parent of a 10-week old baby boy!), and originally from Severna Park, MD. I currently reside in Tampa, FL, which is where I've lived for the past year. Prior to that, I was living in IL, not far from St. Louis, and then in Dover, DE. I've been in the Air Force for 8 years, which is why I move around a lot. I'm hoping to get in as much herping as possible while I'm here in FL! Having an infant to care for has slowed things down a bit, but I still get the opportunity to go out every now and then.

I studied International Relations in college and for my Master's, so I am by no means an expert in herps. However, I do find myself educating a lot of people on local species, so I've definitely come a long way from when I rarely knew how to ID one species from another. Most of my herping has occurred on marked trails in nature preserves or state parks, so I really haven't got my feet wet with seeking out the harder-to-find species located off the beaten path. I do enjoy kayaking, so I've got a good number of records of turtles and gators that I've observed while out on the water in otherwise hard-to-reach places.

A recent herping hobby of mine is to go out at night and record frog calls from local bodies of water. It's a good way for me to learn which species are calling at what time of year, and what meteorological conditions they prefer. I've mostly been doing this on the base that I live on, having recorded around 20 green tree frog calling sites with many more potential sites to visit. Still waiting on the squirrel tree frogs and eastern narrow-mouths to start calling, or whatever else might be out there!

I probably won't be sharing too many photos on here unless they are of really cool or impressive finds, but I do put every sighting I think is worthwhile on NAHERP, so you can find them there (last name Ratcliffe). Look forward to hearing about all your adventures in the coming months and years!

Here's on of my favorite all-time photos that I've taken of a herp. This is a five-lined skink in S. Illinois (sorry for breaking tables with the large size):

dery

Post by dery »

mtratcliffe wrote:Hey everyone,

I probably won't be sharing too many photos on here unless they are of really cool or impressive finds, but I do put every sighting I think is worthwhile on NAHERP, so you can find them there (last name Ratcliffe). Look forward to hearing about all your adventures in the coming months and years!

Yeh, posting vouchers directly from the library is impossible. It gets exausting for me to post picheavy often. Great bio. Welcome to FHF Matt.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Yeh, posting vouchers directly from the library is impossible. It gets exausting for me to post picheavy often. Great bio. Welcome to FHF Matt.
Thank you! By the way, I finally replied the other day to a message you sent me back in February. I never realized I had one in my inbox - sorry!
cherper

Post by cherper »

Hi, folks! My name is Cary Howe and I live in the CSRA region of Georgia/South Carolina. I am blessed to live in an area of the Southeast which is truly diverse and plentiful with herp activity. I've lived here for over 8 years now and have spent time in other areas of the country like NE PA, Southern NJ, SE Tennessee, Arkansas, and the Upstate SC.

This is truly a hobby for me as I have no formal scientific training or education. I am a pharmaceutical sales rep for a company based in the Chicago area. I do get a chance through my work to travel a few times a year and I try to fit in a little time in the field whenever I can on these trips. My two children 9 and 12 enjoy getting in the field with me and it provides a great educational tool and bonding time with them.

I have had the priviledge to meet and/or herp with a few of the members of the SE Chapter, but would like to meet more of you. Please feel free to contact me if you ever get up my way here in East Central Georgia. It would be my pleasure to help you find some of your targets.

Cary

Specialist3

Post by Specialist3 »

I've lurked on and off for a good while now and since I was enticed to start herping again, I figured I may as well become a member..

I live on 20 acres in the Archer (Levy County) area near Gainesville, Fl. I moved to Florida for school some years ago from Oklahoma and before my move I was huge into being in the field, in fact, I was out herping any day the weather permitted. Moved to Florida and at first I was all about it, but with the gas prices rising, school and work then never finding anything when I went out; I just pretty much gave up.

I'd always hear "Oh, don't go out to this place because you'll find nothing but rattlers" but I am horrible at hunting in Florida. Heck, I could turn up 20 box turtle in Oklahoma/Texas and not even try, but Ive only found 3 Florida Boxies and all were by accident.

But, My job now involves me driving everywhere and Ive been finding all kinds of stuff. And my rebirth in herping is due to two things. Finding an EDB and a Florida Pine near my home. Both were DORs, sadly, but it gave me hope and excitement since both were big on my 'want to find' list...

Anyway, my job involves working with wildlife. I'm a huge Crotalus fan but I like anything hot. My other passion is crocodilians. Heterodons, Thamnophis and Pituophis also tickle my fancy. Turtles are cool, too.

If anyone wants to get out and need someone to get in the way, I'm your guy..

mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Welcome to the forums! Glad to hear that you rediscovered your passion for herping. I see that you like crocodilians - I'm assuming gators are on that list. I've found that kayaking FL's rivers is an excellent way to see gators that you otherwise would never find. I'm itching to get back on the water sometime soon.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Yes, welcome. Florida has a rich diversity of species and habitats. Plenty to see and do here. Finding a DOR pine, while terrible because it was DOR, is still a big deal IMO. Pine's are not an easy find.
frogfish

Post by frogfish »

Guess I never really introduced myself...

My name is Santosh Shanmuga. I was born in the midwest and grew up in MI, then came down to North Carolina to start college at Duke University. I graduated with a BS in Biology in May 2013 and stayed in the state, working and herping. Sadly, I will be leaving NC and moving to MD later this month for the foreseeable future to start the next chapter of my life....medical school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.

I grew up with a passion for animals, especially herps and birds. As a kid, I read every single book on the animal kingdom that my local library had and spent my free time herping, fishing, hunting, and hiking. I used to chase turtles and frogs while fishing, and catch snakes. I was amazed by the biodiversity I could find in just my local area.

Herping took a backseat to fishing when I was in high school and in college, but two years ago I met another NC herper and my passion for herps made a resurgence. Ever since then, I have been herping the SE as hard as I could, and even made a trip out west to the land of the buzztails.

That is a little about me. Reach out to me on facebook or flickr :)

jack4rogers

Post by jack4rogers »

Hello! I am a long-time lurker, first time poster, and new herper. I live in Charleston, South Carolina, and am really interested in snakes. Yesterday I went herping and found a lifer for me: Red-bellied Watersnake!!! No pictures, though, it was fast and angry.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Welcome!!! :thumb: :beer:
jack4rogers wrote:No pictures, though, it was fast and angry.
This happens more often than I'd like to admit :lol:
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Hello - I'm Dave Frymire. I live in Murray, KY. I am a proud father of a little 9 year angel named Jessica. She lives with me and we explore the outdoors every chance we get. I am a naturalist/conservationist in west KY/TN. I own my own business aside from my research and passion of natural history. I do field biology research for several regional universities. I love to write and am in the process of publishing several herpetological publications - one being published via the University of Kentucky Press that should be out this fall. I have lots of pictures on Flickr and love taking critter pics. Thanks for taking time to read.

Dave
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Thanks for posting!
Colombianito

Post by Colombianito »

I was an avid herper in my youth. Hunted for snakes near my home in Long Island and in the Catskills where we had a second home. I was always flipping boards , rocks or anything everywhere I went to find snakes. Sound familiar? Lol

Many stories and experiences over the years .

Life happened and I became a father and husband and business owner. Interests pointed me in other directions as happens to most of us.

Anyway I've come full circle at 54 years old and plan on getting involved in the hobby of my youth once again.

My interest these days is just catch release , learn about and maybe keep a snake once again.

Look forward to learning from you guys . And maybe you young herpers will enjoy a few stories of herping 40 and 45 years ago.......
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Welcome. The forum has been slower in the past few years, but some of us are still around. I'm looking forward to hearing some stories.
Colombianito

Post by Colombianito »

Noah M wrote:Welcome. The forum has been slower in the past few years, but some of us are still around. I'm looking forward to hearing some stories.
Thanks Noah. Those that are still around I look forward to reading their posts etc.