End of the Year 2013... #8 - VENOMOUS SNAKES

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

End of the Year 2013... #8 - VENOMOUS SNAKES

Post by brick911 »

(Copied from theme #1... See below for theme #8 guidelines)

Hey guys,

I have a list of different threads I'm gonna start, spreading them out every few days. Each one will have a different theme. I would appreciate if you'd follow the rules (more like guidelines) just to keep it fun. eg. Ya know how people put up "Post your favorite picture of the year" threads, and people HAVE to put up like three pictures. Let's pay attention and try to stick to the rules. As winter creeps in, I will keep starting new threads and we can have fun with this while we look out the window at the leafless trees with tears in our eyes. If you have any ideas, feel free to PM me. Of course, I don't care if you start your own "themed" thread, but I was taking it upon myself to plan out these threads over the next few weeks as I have seen the forum die off along with the herping. *Don't let these "End of the Year" threads have any effect on any end of the year summary posts y'all were planning on doing. These will all have specific themes. I'm also hoping this will bring some of the non-posters out of the woodwork to share a photo or two. (You know who you are.). It's an opportunity to just share photos with peers, despite our herping/conservational differences. I don't mean to call you guys out and mean no offense. Just think about sharing here and there if you can with sound mind. I look forward to everyone's posts. Let's make this fun because its getting boring outside!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme 8: Venomous Snakes

1. Go back through your finds over the year and review your snakes. Find the venomous ones.

2. Post your favorite three shots. This is up to you how you would like to do it. It can be three of the same snake. Or three different snakes. Or whatever you would like.

3. For sake of argument, we are counting the NE's "Big Three" only for this. No garters or hognoses please. That said, any other pit vipers or elapids from around the country would suffice too.

4. If you didn't find anything that fits the topic, hang in there. There are many more categories to come.

Who's first...
mike h

Re: End of the Year 2013... #8 - VENOMOUS SNAKES

Post by mike h »

I figured I'd better get this one posted quickly before anyone gets sick of Timbers!
DSC_0394 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Seen on our very memorable trip to herp with friends in PA!
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

i knew this would be my least favorite thread now i have to watch all the copper and timber pics be posted haha :( my sole venomous snake from the year and a lifer Image
Dusky Pygmy Rattler- Sistrurus miliarius barbouri by MattSullivan, on Flickr
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

I got my lifer Copperhead this year...(sorry)
Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen) by Zach Truelock, on Flickr

And a little cotton from Southern Illinois.
Western Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorous leucostoma) by Zach Truelock, on Flickr
davhug1

Post by davhug1 »

mike h wrote:I figured I'd better get this one posted quickly before anyone gets sick of Timbers!
DSC_0394 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Seen on our very memorable trip to herp with friends in PA!
Ill never get sick of timbers, post away folks, post away
davhug1

Post by davhug1 »

Image Copper spotted back in july, seemed like it just shedded, and while everyone was enjoying the top of the vista, i was looking for snakes.
davhug1

Post by davhug1 »

Image One of the first timbers i saw back in early may, on a damp and misty 60 degree day, was worried about seeing any, but a friend assured me we'd see some, sure enough, i enjoyed my first gravid female timber basking on the rocks, and she was very photo friendly.
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Timbers: why I like it: This photo in my opinion simply just rocks, I love the way it turned out!

Copperhead with baby Timbers: why I like it: It was a really cool thing to see communal den activity at its best

Juvenile Florida Cottonmouth: why I like it: because the colors on this one were amazing!

And those were my favorites :beer:
davhug1

Post by davhug1 »

incuhead2000 wrote:Timbers: why I like it: This photo in my opinion simply just rocks, I love the way it turned out!

Copperhead with baby Timbers: why I like it: It was a really cool thing to see communal den activity at its best

Juvenile Florida Cottonmouth: why I like it: because the colors on this one were amazing!

And those were my favorites :beer:
nice stuff
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

My only venomous snake vouched this year in the north east

My favorite snake find of the year:

MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Red diamond rattlesnakes are pretty common to find if you are in certain areas. This year I wandered into Orange County twice and took a road I thought was going to lead me to the main road I was looking for. Instead it took me through this small forested South Jersey Pemberton type community and up onto this awesome canyon road I had never heard of but looked AWESOME!! I road cruised it for awhile and found my first tarantula but no snakes. On the way back through the town I saw this Ruber slithering up someones driveway!! I had to pull into another persons driveway as the road was so narrow and ran up to look for the snake. He was unaware of me until I spotlighted him. Later I would find out from Fundad himself that the canyon road I had found is actually popular and has some cool species I hope to find next year. Anyway, here's my spotlighted friend..............

Sidewinders are also common to find in the desert at night and if you have a bad night (I had plenty) you can generally rely on atleast hopefully seeing one. Usually easy to ID right away because they don't cross in a straight line like the other rattlers but instead are in that S shape and are flat against the road and usually never move unless provoked. This horn eyed devil was my girlfriend Holly's lifer that we found and the first sidewinder I found on a road that until this year was always unproductive but looked so good........

This.was.AWESOME!! I wish I had a better camera. This was the beginning of my infamous trip from Vegas to LA via Laughlin that produced my atrox that night. Rain had drenched the region the night before as I drove along my route I would stop at random rock piles and hills. I climbed over a small rocky slope and in the opening of a large rock outcrop was this awesome looking Speckled rattlesnake. My favorite Cali snake they can have lots of color variation but I had never seen one white, black and brown with this pattern either. I took many pics for about 5 minutes and this snake never budged, rattled or even fluck out it's tongue.
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Nice snake Bwater - is that a black tailed, great basin, or am I way off base?? :? :?: :oops: :beer:
BashHarris

Post by BashHarris »

bwater awesome juvenile copper pic! I think that's my favorite yet.
It's been a while since I've posted on here. I'll go with a 2 Timbers and a Canebrake.
<p>
<p>
<p>
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

The first Timber Rattlesnake was from the NE Chapter Trip with Kyle, 1 of 4 that we found as a group.

These last 2 Copperheads were found in early September road cruising at night with Doug Warner in NW Virginia.
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

Alas, timbers were the only venomous snakes I found this year. A first for me was flipping this pair of juveniles that were curled up under a rock I propped up to attract garters and red bellies. Needless to say I was pretty startled! I shooed them out from under it with my hook and replaced the rock so they could continue to use it.

One of my favorite photos from this year is this sub-adult male, which was unusually aggressive, the reason being that he was in the blue. It actually rubbed the coils of it's body together like a saw-scaled viper, and sheared off some of the ferns that he was sitting next to!

SAGlines

Post by SAGlines »

I'm going to continue the trend - Timbers and Coppers.
This my lifer Copperhead.
This is my first Timber
Another Copper!
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

MarcLinsalata wrote:Nice snake Bwater - is that a black tailed, great basin, or am I way off base?? :? :?: :oops: :beer:

Its an EDB marc hahaha