End of the Year 2013... #2 - LAMEST LIFER

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

End of the Year 2013... #2 - LAMEST LIFER

Post by brick911 »

Copied from theme #1... See below for theme #2 guidelines)

Hey guys,

I have a list of different threads I'm gonna start, spreading them out every few days. Each one will have a different theme. I would appreciate if you'd follow the rules (more like guidelines) just to keep it fun. eg. Ya know how people put up "Post your favorite picture of the year" threads, and people HAVE to put up like three pictures. Let's pay attention and try to stick to the rules. As winter creeps in, I will keep starting new threads and we can have fun with this while we look out the window at the leafless trees with tears in our eyes. If you have any ideas, feel free to PM me. Of course, I don't care if you start your own "themed" thread, but I was taking it upon myself to plan out these threads over the next few weeks as I have seen the forum die off along with the herping. *Don't let these "End of the Year" threads have any effect on any end of the year summary posts y'all were planning on doing. These will all have specific themes. I'm also hoping this will bring some of the non-posters out of the woodwork to share a photo or two. (You know who you are.). It's an opportunity to just share photos with peers, despite our herping/conservational differences. I don't mean to call you guys out and mean no offense. Just think about sharing here and there if you can with sound mind. I look forward to everyone's posts. Let's make this fun because its getting boring outside!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme 2: Your "Lamest" LIFER of the Year

1. Go back through your finds over the year and list your lifers (but not here). I don't care about your list... not on this thread. Pick what is your "lamest" of all your lifers. Only ONE. Keep your totally cool entire list of lifers in your pocket for now.

LAME = You have freedom with your definition of lame. It can be your own. eg. Awww... This brownsnake is soooo lame. Or it can be something you think is totally cool, but is a dime a dozen to some/most people. eg. Wow! This is my first Blue-spotted Sal ever! ...Whatever dude, I counted like 1300 at last year's migration.

2. ...You get the picture. Whatever way you choose to determine your lame lifer, include a description of why you perceive it to be lame.

3. You could have taken crappy pictures... again, this is not your best photo of a lame lifer, but your LAMEST LIFER (I will have a favorite photo thread upcoming.)

4. Make it interesting and tell a story, but be sure to use proper discretion as far as locality. *Feel free to to talk smack about your lifer if you want. "This four-toed sucked so bad. Stupid, mini, wanna be redback."

5. If you only found one lifer and it is totally awesome, then by default that is your lamest. Do your best with why it was lame. If you have no lifers, then you're not invited to this thread. Get your butt out herping more next year.

...Who's first to be lame?
MarcLinsalata

Re: End of the Year 2013... #2 - LAMEST LIFER

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Lamest lifer this year was a toss up between spotted leaf nose snake and night snake but I had to choose one. I had never found a night snake before but people seem to flip them all of the time out here - kind of like your west coast version of ringneck or worm snake. In the middle of summer me and Holly were staying in Palm Springs, and despite the full moon that was rising we had to do our routine post-dinner-probably-shouldn't-be-driving road cruising session. As luck would have it we cruised a kingsnake and rattlesnake within about 20 minutes on a popular Riverside County road. We never usually find anything here on this road up until this year, but we cruise it because it is there. Anyway, on a final trip back I saw this tiny tiny looking stick in your typical straight line snake crossing formation. It was so small I said "What was that? It definitely looked like a snake but what?" It didn't cross my mind to find one of these but lo and behold I had a lifer, and a lame one at that.

Desert Nightsnake

He was so small I could barely pick him off the pavement. I was actually stoked, and I let him go on the side of the rod by the hillside so he could climb into a hole. Except he surprised us by coming out another hole.....
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

I love night snakes!
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

most of my lifers this year were salamanders...this was by far the lamest of them all. except awesome to me cuz it was a lifer...but still lame cuz its a red eft/red spotted newt and everyone else has seen a million. btw i have not seen another since this one and this was from august

Red Eft- Notophthalmus viridescens (Explored) by MattSullivan, on Flickr
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

My Lamest Lifer was actually one of my targets this year, but this is the worst way to find it. Ribbon snakes aren't the rarest herp around, but I've never been able to get a pic of one. This summer I was mountain biking and (at the last second) I spotted this ribbon snake in the middle of the trail. I mashed up my brakes and swerved off the trail, but it was too late. I'm not sure if I clipped it or the person right ahead of me, but the damage was done. Who knows, maybe it was just stunned and went back to normal after I moved it :? . Regardless, it put a damper on the day :oops:

kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

I know what you're thinkin, it's just a stupid Two-lined, the most common salamander ever...
I couldn't even get a good photo.

Actually, if you could see the rear feet, you would notice it had 4 toes instead of 5, making these Chamberlain's Dwarf Salamanders from coastal North Carolina.

Still cool. Atlantic Coast Slimy sal gets honorable mention, which IMO, are beautiful as well.
mike h

Post by mike h »

We got our first Chamberlain's this year too! Very cool little guys!

Well, I love me some Dookies, but we had never stumbled across them until this year, having learned a little bit about their habits and habitat. So, lame though they may be, these guys always excite me!

So, without further ado, I present my "lamest lifer of 2013", though I love them... The Northern Dusky Salamander (Desmognathus fuscus). (aka the Dookie)
DSC_0051 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I'm gonna bend the rules here a bit and post a state lifer.

Over the past few years I've visited a spot in search of eastern ribbonsnakes in Connecticut. Just like the northern leopard frog, the ribbonsnake is declining in CT and has a spotty distribution. One of the reasons for the decline is the destruction of their preferred wetland habitat. It so happens that in this particular spot all the elements come together, attracting a nice sized population.

Again, like the leopard frog, these snakes are a dime a dozen in places such as south jersey. But in Connecticut you have to work hard making it laaaaaame.

So on a beautiful May morning I was making my way back from my usual route along the margins of a pond. I should mention that this area is also excellent for copperheads but on that morning I had (so far) struck out on snakes. I was on my way out ; dejected with a sore knee, not feeling well in general, when up ahead on the trail a snake came down from the rocky hillside onto the trail. I stopped. The snake stopped. In that brief moment I knew I was looking at an adult eastern ribbonsnake. In the split second the snake stopped I made the decision to sprint and dive. So as I came crashing down face first, the snake had slipped almost entirely into the water -- now, normally I would have no hesitation diving into the water after my quarry -- but the shoreline here was blocked by an impenetrable tangle of roots, vines, and thorny bushes. In those seconds I had not only landed face and chest first, bruising my sternum as a result, but I missed the snake by mere inches. Feeling as though I might spit up blood due to a cracked sternum (felt cracked but luckily was only bruised) I managed to raise my camera and snap off this photo of, to date, my one and only Connecticut Ribbonsnake.

ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

Went up to Wisconsin to see some Smooth Greens and hoggies, came across this little monkey

Butler's Gartersnake (Thamnophis butleri)

LAME
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Ok, so what wasn't lame about my lame lifer was the habitat scouting. Scouted out during the heat of the summer I made plans to return in the fall hoping to score. What was lame about it...I found two inside of ten minutes. What was ever lamer was having to sit in the field and count to 20. I grabbed a pine needle as my tool and counted over and over, and everytime the slippery salamander moved I had to restart counting. I spent longer probably counting costal grooves than I did herping....ultimate lame. Anyway, here is my awesome glorified long tailed white chinned 20 costal groove wannabe redback!

Valley and Ridge Salamander (Plethodon hoffmani)

kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

That is a great shot!
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

I visited Boston for a conference back in March. I had half a day to poke around, and a palm-sized Fiat to drive. I managed to get myself out to the Boston suburbs, where I hoped to see a northeast salamander. Any northeast salamander. After a half hour of poking around it started to snow. After 45 minutes of poking around, I had my lame NE lifer:

Eastern Red-backed Salamander, Plethodon cinereus by J. Maughn, on Flickr

Actually, I was pretty thrilled to see this salamander, esp. with the conditions developing. After that, it was back to the conference. During the next two days another foot of snow fell, and then the real adventure began: Driving that Fiat through unplowed Boston streets back to the airport.

JimM
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

JAMAUGHN wrote:

Actually, I was pretty thrilled to see this salamander

JimM
:thumb: just as I would be thrilled to see a common western salamander. One of the slenders I suppose?
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Man, why's everybody gotta pick on the salamanders?

Here's mine:
Sonoran Gophersnake from Maricopa Co. AZ

Here's why this pretty little snake is lame:

1) only live snake I found on my 5-day trip to Phoenix this August
2) I've been west like 8 times and it's my first time seeing this common snake
3) there are like 40 other life snakes there that I'd rather have seen first
4) this bitch would not sit still for anything
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Dang, Mike. A face plant for a ribbon? You're a diehard! Great story. Glad you didn't crack your sternum!
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Don't worry MattJ, my lifer desert patchnose snake fell victim to my tires back in May and they weren't bike tires and I know for a FACT it wasn't the guy right in front of me........... :oops: :oops:
herper1

Post by herper1 »

First let me say by no means do I consider a milk snake lame. But I am 43 years old and lived inside their range my whole life, spent most of those years herping, and have spent a considerable amount of time in the woods. I have a life count of over 100 herps! I had never seen a Milk, not even in a zoo. I took my niece to a reptile exhibit once and the cage marked Milk snake appeared to be empty. Meanwhile on the forum people are makeing posts asking everyone to put up their Milk snake pics and everyone has one exept me. It has been my curse. Then this fall I found 2 in one day. Finally!

Jared Cain

Post by Jared Cain »

Cuban Tree Frog.

013 by Cain304, on Flickr

These are lame because they are non native, have an impact on native animals, arent as attractive as the native tree frogs and I see 20 plus of these to one native tree frog species where I moved to. Its also lame because its not a Northeastern lifer ;)
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I was finished with school and walked over to a field and found a board. Flipped it and i finally got my milk.

Larry Clarfeld

Post by Larry Clarfeld »

I think any lifer that is a DOR is maybe lame, but definitely sad. Well this wasn't even DOR... it was DOPTTMEOANWR (dead-on-path-to-the-main-entrance-of-a-national-wildlife-refuge).

Thankfully we saw a live adult later, but this poor, dead hatchling was my "lifer"
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

This was my first Carpenter Frog in early April, but I couldn't manage any good photos. I'd find more weeks later and get better photos, but this was a lame photo for the first time finding a Carpenter Frog.
dery

Post by dery »

stuffed diamondback terrepine in the waterman's museum in Yorktown, VA. First time I saw a DBT in person.

Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

Southeastern Five-lined Skink Eumeces inexpectatus

Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

This post is hilarious! The worst lifer i've had this year was a half-chewed (probably by a meadow vole), dead rough green snake at my tin site.

incuhead2000- LOL! Yeah, counting costal grooves can be a real pain. Whenever i feel the need to count CG's, i just take picture, then zoom in on the picture on the camera and count. That way you don't have to cross your eyeballs trying to count :lol: SO much easier!
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I don't know. I would rather have found an adult hyla versicolor for my first.

Then the second one I found was dead...lame.