Rattlesnake protective gear, thoughts and opinions?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jimi

Re: Rattlesnake protective gear, thoughts and opinions?

Post by Jimi »

I would just add to Kris' commentary - the Rocky Mountain NAFHA Chapter is well-represented on the Front Range. It has been developing relationships and working on projects with CO Parks & Wildlife for years.

Chapter members may not be willing or able to overtly give you their support as you engage CPW. However, surely they could offer you some insights and advice for how to begin approaching the agency, who you need to talk with there etc. And maybe they'll have an idea or two about ongoing legitimate projects you might be able to help with, to learn some skills under mentorship, before trying to take the plunge yourself. For example there are a few academic and non-academic pros in the state with long-running rattlesnake projects & programs. It's possible they could have volunteer technician opportunities available.

Make use of your organization, is what I'm suggesting. While we are after all a bunch of strangers who get together online to squabble and bitch on a pseudonym or first-name basis, that's not all we are. The organization it comprised of real people with real skills, real relationships, real things to offer.

Good luck,
Jimi
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

well said jimi.

thanks for the nice words kris.

-ben
R3dguitarist

Post by R3dguitarist »

Jimi wrote:I would just add to Kris' commentary - the Rocky Mountain NAFHA Chapter is well-represented on the Front Range. It has been developing relationships and working on projects with CO Parks & Wildlife for years.

Chapter members may not be willing or able to overtly give you their support as you engage CPW. However, surely they could offer you some insights and advice for how to begin approaching the agency, who you need to talk with there etc. And maybe they'll have an idea or two about ongoing legitimate projects you might be able to help with, to learn some skills under mentorship, before trying to take the plunge yourself. For example there are a few academic and non-academic pros in the state with long-running rattlesnake projects & programs. It's possible they could have volunteer technician opportunities available.

Make use of your organization, is what I'm suggesting. While we are after all a bunch of strangers who get together online to squabble and bitch on a pseudonym or first-name basis, that's not all we are. The organization it comprised of real people with real skills, real relationships, real things to offer.

Good luck,
Jimi
Thanks for the advice! Ill look into the programs around me today. Any suggestions for where to start, or programs that you are aware of?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

R3dguitarist wrote:Thanks for the advice! Ill look into the programs around me today. Any suggestions for where to start, or programs that you are aware of?
You should be able to post in the Rocky Mountain Chapter forum. Some of the people there may only read that forum, and not the main one. It would be a good place to start.
monklet

Post by monklet »

psyon wrote:I think that if you had to ask this question, that you shouldn't be handling the snakes at all.
I think that if you have such an attitude you shouldn't participate in a forum such as this. Any serious question is a good one, especially one concerning personal safety, and I see nothing in the OP's initial post, or any of his follow-ups, to indicate otherwise, despite your presumptions. Fortunately there are plenty of mature and knowledgeable individuals here who are willing to offer valuable opinions and experience. I'll give R3dguitarist the high ground on this one for seeking advice. I personally hope this discussion here will dissuade him from irresponsible actions. Had he not ventured the question, perhaps he'd have learned the hard way.
R3dguitarist

Post by R3dguitarist »

monklet wrote:
psyon wrote:I think that if you had to ask this question, that you shouldn't be handling the snakes at all.
I think that if you have such an attitude you shouldn't participate in a forum such as this. Any serious question is a good one, especially one concerning personal safety, and I see nothing in the OP's initial post, or any of his follow-ups, to indicate otherwise, despite your presumptions. Fortunately there are plenty of mature and knowledgeable individuals here who are willing to offer valuable opinions and experience. I'll give R3dguitarist the high ground on this one for seeking advice. I personally hope this discussion here will dissuade him from irresponsible actions. Had he not ventured the question, perhaps he'd have learned the hard way.
I really appreciate that, thank you for the kind words. I've reconsidered the tubing aspect but I'm still curious on the subject of gaiters. Does anyone have experience with Rattlers brand knee high gaiters, tagged 40-45$? I'm considering them....
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

monklet wrote:I think that if you have such an attitude you shouldn't participate in a forum such as this. Any serious question is a good one, especially one concerning personal safety, and I see nothing in the OP's initial post, or any of his follow-ups, to indicate otherwise, despite your presumptions. Fortunately there are plenty of mature and knowledgeable individuals here who are willing to offer valuable opinions and experience. I'll give R3dguitarist the high ground on this one for seeking advice. I personally hope this discussion here will dissuade him from irresponsible actions. Had he not ventured the question, perhaps he'd have learned the hard way.
Everything in his initial post gave me the impression that he is inexperienced with venomous snakes, and my opinion on that, is that he should not be out trying to hook or tube them. Some people take advice, some people ignore it because it goes against what they want to do. Either way, I have no reason to sugar coat my opinion.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I got bit on the boot by a lepidus that I didn't see until I stepped on it. At least I'm pretty sure it bit me since it looked like it was pulling back from a strike by the time I saw it. What made me start wearing snakeboots and/or legging in the first place was when I stepped down less than 2 inches from a helleri that I never saw until my brother, who was walking behind me, pointed it out. Stepping on an unseen snake may come in a distant second to handling them but it is a very real risk and I highly recommend foot/leg protection whether you plan on handling them or not. Also, as far I know, hospitals don't keep records on the number of people that get bit on a boot and don't come in for treatment since they didn't actually get envenomated, so it probably happens more than records would indicate.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Many people herp butt naked. They say that it causes the rattlers to sit still and try to ignore them...I don't know if this is true, I've never tried it. :roll:
gbin

Post by gbin »

I've heard that if you stay in your car you don't need to look out for venomous snakes at all; you can roll right over any you encounter in the road, with no fear of getting bitten. Too bad there isn't some kind of personal mini-tank that people could use whenever they leave the road, to keep them from having to use any care whatsoever in where they put their feet and hands (and other body parts). Roll on!... :roll:

As I said earlier, "different strokes..." If whatever you're doing keeps you from getting bitten (and hopefully doesn't result in you crushing too many snakes under boot, I guess), that's great.

Gerry
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Many people herp butt naked. They say that it causes the rattlers to sit still and try to ignore them...I don't know if this is true, I've never tried it.
This sounds great! I'm going to give it a shot in the spring if anyone wants to tag along. :mrgreen:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Jason Hull wrote:
Many people herp butt naked. They say that it causes the rattlers to sit still and try to ignore them...I don't know if this is true, I've never tried it.
This sounds great! I'm going to give it a shot in the spring if anyone wants to tag along. :mrgreen:

Send pic before I make my decision. :P
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

This is me here. As you can see I have no need for protective gear or clothing.

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

his is me here. As you can see I have no need for protective gear or clothing.

:lol: :beer: :lol:

Fundad
Matt Cage

Post by Matt Cage »

It's pretty simple. Enjoy seeing the snakes in their environment. Take some great photos and notes. Post them here if you want. Don't handle venomous snakes. There is absolutely no need for you to be tubing or handling venomous snakes or taking clippings from any snakes. Personally, I have never worn any protective equipment. Have I come close to stepping on some venomous snakes? Yes. That would be a personal choice for you.